question about blood sugar

Discussion in 'Fibromyalgia Main Forum' started by sixtyslady, Feb 8, 2007.

1. sixtyslady

sixtyslady Member

I"ve had this all my life and I"m just so tired of it .
    I eat breaskfast about 7A.M.
    but by 10:30 A.m, I"m shaking and can"t hardly stand up so I try to fix myself lunch with some protein, but its such a horrible feeling, after I eat it takes about 10 mins to 20 mins for me to start to feel o.k.
    i just sit and cry I hate this and just would like to know how to stop this ,same thing happens just before supper time its awlful.just thought that maybe someone would know what to do for this. thanks sixtyslady
  2. happycanuk

happycanuk New Member

I don't know what you are eating for breakfast, but it might be a good idea to have an egg and 1 slice of toast and a piece of fruit. At 10:00 a.m. you need to have something to eat, to keep your blood sugar level. You should also have lunch, then 3 hours later a snack, and then supper, and another snack before bedtime.

Are you diabetic then? Do you take pills or insulin?
  3. pocahontas606

pocahontas606 New Member

eggs are a great idea... i would add a little butter and cheese (all organic if you can).... do you eat dairy? and keep the bread as well for sure.

do you drink coffee in the AM? that can really mess with your blood sugar.
  4. findmind

findmind New Member

What do you DO inbetween shaky times?

If you are active, you are burning up more than you are eating, and you need more fuel than you're taking in.

Keep boiled eggs, whole grain bread,frozen cooked shrimp, reg. or soy milk, mozarella cheese, peanut butter, nuts, triscuits, sardines, always on hand. These are all easy to grab and eat, have good protein in them.

Sometimes hypoglycemia is part of CFS I have found personally. It comes and goes, and is aggravating as all get out, right?

Hope you eat enough to support the activity you do and it helps you feel better.

My A1C (3 mos sugar test) is always LOW, even tho' drs always think I'm diabetic from my symptom complaints!

Don't eat anything white!

There's always hope!
    findmind
  5. happycanuk

happycanuk New Member

If you are diabetic you DO NOT want to eat dried fruit. The sugar is concentrated in them and they are high in sugar.

Complex carbs like rice, potatoes, veggies, whole grain breads and a serving of protein will do it.
  6. hugs4evry1

hugs4evry1 New Member

You didn't mention if your blood sugar is high or low by 10:30 in the morning, but it's always good to have a snack around 9:00 in the morning to keep you level. I also have to eat at 3:00pm too.

Your snack is going to depend on whether or not you're suffering from high bs or low.

The reason I mention this is because even though I was just dx as borderline diabetic, I'm feeling horrible for the last 2 months because I'm fighting to keep my blood sugar up above 70 during the daytime.

So I do eat dried fruits, lots of them....

Hugs,

Nancy B
  7. springrose22

springrose22 New Member

Skeesix had the best advise on here. Complex carbohydrates are good, but avoid sugar and fruits that are sweet. Also, EAT SMALL FREQUENT MEALS, rather than the usual 3 per day. Whenever you eat, ALWAYS INCLUDE SOME PROTEIN. Avoid honey, jams, etc., and coffee. Again, what Skeesix said. You can find lists of complex carbohydrates and foods with a low glycemic index online. Remember, small frequent meals which include protein. Dried fruit is a poor choice for someone who is diabetic. Marie
    [This Message was Edited on 02/08/2007]
  8. sixtyslady

sixtyslady Member

I"m not diabetic.
    I"m trying to lose weight right now and I"ve lost 8pds in the last five weeks ,so I"m taking it off slow. I"m doing weight watchers on-line.

I don't eat prepackaged foods .
    I eat cherrios& a banana,for breakfast.some times a egg& turkey sausage.
    I keep sliced turkey on hand at all times so if I get real shakey,I can grab it and eat, I know that protein brings me back up.I"ve never tested my bloodsugar at this time,I"m guessing that its low from the way I feel.
    I also I"m trying to watch my foods because of colesteral levels. mine aren"t high,but it runs in our family.
    thanks for all the info,I think I"m going to have to eat smaller amounts but more often. sixtyslady
  9. cct

cct Member

These things have helped me in the past . . .

Magnesium will help with the shakiness. GTF Chromium will help with blood sugar regulation as will Holy Basil.
  10. PVLady

PVLady New Member

There is a book on the "glycemic index" of foods. See article below...

HYPOGLYCEMIA - low Blood Sugar: Nutritional Causes, Prevention and Therapies

While many practitioners recommend nearly identical dietary lifestyles for people suffering from low
    blood sugar (hypoglycemia) or diabetes (hyperglycemia), I believe that Sodium management is an
    important consideration to help control sugar metabolism in both situations.

Sodium effectively slows insulin response, which in diabetics contributes to poor blood sugar control,

however for individuals suffering from low blood sugar (or even hyperinsulinism), higher sodium levels
    can be an advantage because they prevent a quick rise and fall in insulin levels and subsequently
    reduce those dreaded blood sugar highs and lows commonly experienced with hypoglycemia.

Some practitioners also place great importance on the Glycemic Index (GI) of any particular food

or beverage consumed, however from personal clinical experience, only the reduction or elimination

of simple sugar / carbs is necessary, while complex carbs, or even most refined carbs don't have to
    be avoided at all - regardless of their glycemic index. (see also Acu-Cell "Sugar & Glycemic Index").

Symptoms experienced as a result of low blood sugar include weakness, mood swings, headaches,
    nervousness, irritability, or nausea with milder cases, and there is the potential of visual disturbances,
    shaking, sweating, confusion, palpitations, anxiety, dizziness, aggression or severe fatigue with more
    severe cases of hypoglycemia.

Regardless of lifestyle changes or treatments recommended by their practitioners, there are general
    rules which patients themselves can follow trying to control the symptoms of both, blood test-verified

hypoglycemia, or reactive hypogycemia (symptoms only):

• Meals have to be kept smaller and spread throughout the day. If possible, individuals prone for
    hypoglycemic episodes should not go for more than three hours without a meal or snack.

• When consuming complex or refined carbs, they should be consumed with some fat or protein.

• Emphasis should be placed on increasing protein intake -- eggs, chicken breast, turkey cold cuts,
    salmon or tuna in oil... or one can even consider a protein supplement (if protein tests low).

• Evaluating frequently-consumed foods by their potential to aggravate low blood sugar symptoms will
    not only help with meal planning at home, but also with dinner invitations, or when travelling.

• Because of its blood sugar-lowering and blood pressure-lowering potential, the sweetener Stevia
    should be evaluated first on an individual basis, before being regularly used by anyone suffering from

hypoglycemia, or general glucose tolerance problems. Feedback has been mixed, with stevia being

well tolerated by some, but less so (i.e. aggravated low blood sugar symptoms) by others.

Allowed are all foods containing complex and most refined carbohydrates, while simple sugars / carbs

should be eliminated. Following is a list of complex, refined and simple carbs:

Complex Carbs:

Legumes, such as lentils, peas and beans.

Vegetables, such as beets, broccoli, cabbage, carrots, cauliflower, corn, lettuce, peppers, potatoes.

Grains, nuts and seeds, including whole-grain bread, pasta, cereal and flour.

Refined Carbs:

Most unsweetened, but refined (non-whole-grain) cereal, bread, granola, pasta, general baked goods.

Simple Carbs (to be eliminated):

Candy, honey, pop, donuts, sweetened cereal, cakes, sweet fruit (particularly when overripe), fruit juice
    (unless watered down), white sugar, brown sugar, corn syrup, maple syrup, molasses, sucrose, glucose,

fructose, maltose, dextrose, and other "...ose" variations.

Additional considerations to reduce symptoms of hypoglycemia include the avoidance of Alcohol

and Caffeine, as well as foods or beverages that contain high amounts of Potassium (which lowers

chromium and manganese). The same applies to supplementing larger amounts of Vitamin C (which
    stimulates insulin and lowers manganese), and Vitamin B6 (which supports potassium, magnesium,

and also lowers manganese).

For Vegetarians, the lower protein content of many vegetarian foods can be a problem, as can be the
    higher potassium and lower sodium levels - particularly with beans and potatoes - when compared to
    animal products. One option is to place more emphasis on consuming celery, spinach or beets, which

have a lower potassium / higher sodium ratio. But regardless, vegetables - unless thoroughly cooked -

and fruit provide the least satiety, although baked potatoes (consumed without any fat) ranked highest

on the Satiety Index. Unfortunately, the ratings were only valid for the first two hours after consumption.

For ovo vegetarians, having eggs for breakfast provides one of the best protein bases to help maintain
    adequate blood sugar control into the day, while oatmeal may be a reasonable compromise for vegans.

Most Nuts - if otherwise tolerated - can, or should be part of a hypoglycemic diet, being a convenient

source of protein for those trying to manage low blood sugar symptoms. Cashews, chestnuts, and
    coconuts in particular have a lower potassium / higher sodium ratio, which helps sustain higher blood
    sugar levels. Coconuts (i.e. coconut oil) also contain larger amounts of medium chain triglycerides
    (MCT), which may offer nutritional support in a number of medical conditions, including seizures, poor

immunity or immunosuppression, and various malabsorption syndromes. Nuts, particularly almonds,
    and (sunflower) seeds are also convenient, non-perishable foods when travelling.

Supplements to consider for Hypoglycemia:

(which should be assessed for compatibility and requirements)

• Chelated chromium 500-2000mcg+/day,

• Chelated manganese 25-50mg+/day,

• Niacinamide 100-500mg+/day,

• Biotin 250-2000mcg+/day,

• Choline bitartrate 250-1000mg+/day,

• PABA (para-aminobenzoic acid) 300mg+/day,

• Vitamin E 400-800 I/day.

Choline bitartrate should be used with caution if there is a disposition for water retention (swollen hands

or feet), since it boosts aldosterone activity, which in turn results in sodium retention. However very low

sodium levels can also result in edema, in which case higher sodium retention as a result of boosting

someone's aldosterone levels is advantageous and can at times lead to tremendous water weight loss.

In very low aldosterone types, licorice may be considered for its sodium-raising and potassium-lowering

effect. ¤

[This Message was Edited on 02/10/2007]