question about bloodwork, protein electrophoresis, serum

Discussion in 'Fibromyalgia Main Forum' started by poodlegirl, Oct 19, 2002.

1. poodlegirl

poodlegirl New Member

Hi, had bloodwork done last week to see if there were other things going on and to rule out other stuff. I have gotten a few results back, one being abnormal high, but cleared as ok and initialed by doc. How can it be abnormal high then okayed? Anyway here it is-PROTEIN ELECTOPHORRESIS, SERUM TP,SPE 8.2 ABNORMAL HIGH, REFERNECE RANGE-6.0-8.0.
    What does this test show? I am not sure what it means. Also, gammaglobulin is ok, ana lupus test negative,good, cpk normal muscle test ok. Any clues?
  2. poodlegirl

poodlegirl New Member

Hi, had bloodwork done last week to see if there were other things going on and to rule out other stuff. I have gotten a few results back, one being abnormal high, but cleared as ok and initialed by doc. How can it be abnormal high then okayed? Anyway here it is-PROTEIN ELECTOPHORRESIS, SERUM TP,SPE 8.2 ABNORMAL HIGH, REFERNECE RANGE-6.0-8.0.
    What does this test show? I am not sure what it means. Also, gammaglobulin is ok, ana lupus test negative,good, cpk normal muscle test ok. Any clues?
  3. dojomo

dojomo New Member

Don't worry.......the TP stands for Total Protein. I don't think he is concerned over the 2 tenths increase because some references ranges are 6.5 - 8.5....depends on the lab doing the blood work.
    Search..Total Protein Serum and you can learn more about the lab test. But I don't think it is something you should worry about... esp if everything else is Ok....
    By the way.....mine was slightly elevated like that once...but has been normal since.....best of luck...DJ
  4. poodlegirl

poodlegirl New Member

I in despiration, grasping for straws. I have been round and round with docs for a couple of years and just want answers. I guess like you all do. I have been Dx'ed with FM, but then another doc said no. Over and over and over. All I know is I hurt, I feel like I am getting the flu all the time, I know I have CFS. But doc said there could be many things that need to be rules out. Which I know that, but it does not make it any easier. Anyway thanks for the reply:) I may post some more results as I get them if I have questions. Thanks again!
  5. GoDaleJr

GoDaleJr New Member

My protein levels have been high for 7 years. I have been seeing a Hemotologist since then and get retested every 6 months. No change. No symptoms, but they check my lymph nodes. No cause for concern for you and I am still doing research on mine.
    Take Care,
    ~Gina

p.s. I have a Great Dane/Rottweiler who is 8 and the love of my life. More like a kid than a dog. Very good boy. HUGE!