Question about Bowel Movements, Sorry

Discussion in 'Fibromyalgia Main Forum' started by greatgran, Sep 12, 2009.

1. greatgran

greatgran Member

I posted earlier about narrow bowel movements and got some good answers , thank you.

After re-reading my post I think my description is somewhat off so would like to ask and once again sorry to be gross but I need to ask if any one can relate.

I have regular frequent BM's but they are not formed they are broken, soft, small amounts at a time. This has been going on about 2 weeks or longer does this sound like IBS or lack of fiber or something more serious. I had been on an antibiotic for a sinus infection but stopped after 5 days thinking that could be the cause.

Never thought I would be asking about BM's not sure why I am so anxious about it. I have added more fiber and taking Activia . I have no pain and seem to be very regular . Just broken,
    small and rather narrow.

Just wondering if anyone has experienced this .

Thanks and Sorry,
  2. caroleye

caroleye New Member

No need to feel sorry.........I have alot of issues around them. Certain meds will completely constipate me; others I've had what you're describing. For me, I'm sure it's either diet or med related & my bowel swells; thus creating the narrowness.

My "guess" is the anti-biotics are contributing. Don't know your hx with wheat, but that will swell me up big time.

I often have to use something to get "normal" BM's. Guess if it became "chronic", I'd talk to your Dr. about it.

Always something huh!!!...............carole
  3. TigerLilea

TigerLilea Active Member

I still think you need to go and have a colonoscopy. The fact that they are "rather narrow" makes me wonder if you have a polyp that is causing a blockage.
  4. greatgran

greatgran Member

Sure do appreciate your input. I am hoping Carol is right that with diet and fiber they might change but Tiger I agree that at my age a colonoscopy would be what I should do and if not a change soon I know I will have to for my piece of mind.

I had a friend's husband to die form the prep, it was just a normal check and the night before while taking the prep he died. So even though my husband goes for his regularly I am such a chicken.. the darn anxiety..FEAR..

God Bless you both,
  5. MsE

MsE New Member

Can you hear me clucking! Yup, another chicken. I have a friend who had a colonoscopy and almot died from an infection because he was nicked during the procedure. However, I also know several people who have had them and had no trouble--said it was easy except for the cleaning out process before the great event. Me? Nope. I haven't. "Cluck cluck cluck" says the chicken once again.
  6. greatgran

greatgran Member

Things are about the same but like you I to avoid medical procedures unless it is a must. Going to wait a few days and see what happens. I may try some Medimucil but feel I am getting fiber maybe not enough. Oh, the Activia been 6 or 7 days and I can't tell any difference.

I go often just the narrow broken stools but this might be norm for me..

I don't like the homework I have done on narrow stools. Thanks for your info.

7. kat0465

kat0465 New Member

you might try for a virtual colonoscopy, its non invasive & might shed some light on whats going on, without having to do the prep or having a tube up there.

i think they are pretty reliable, you might look the info up. i know it's scary having things done, heck when i get my blood drawn or have an ekg, i freak out!! i always know thier gonna find something Awful:( I'm clucking also :)
  8. msbsgblue

msbsgblue Member

Have for years now. I just had my colonoscopy and all was fine. My doctor said that sometimes you may have an intertine that is slightly twisted and then untwists or even a consitpation blockage can cause stools that manage to work around that can be thin. I would go ahead and have the colonoscopy. I doubt he died from that.
  9. greatgran

greatgran Member

What is this with Metimucil and choking. I purchased some yesterday and read about choking does that mean you really can choke? Now afraid to take it.

Have increased fiber and having very frequent stools but still somewhat narrow and not form.

Sorry, to talk about stools but they keep us healthy.

10. greatgran

greatgran Member

Wanted to say Thank you for all your replies and info. I did try the Metimucil and things are getting back to normal.. I did have some cramping and bloating with the Metimucil but cut my dosage back and thank goodness didn't have to go to the doc who would want a colonoscopy.

So far so good as I am happy to report.

Thanks to each of you and God Bless,