Question about CFS and Provigil

Discussion in 'Fibromyalgia Main Forum' started by booherap, Apr 10, 2003.

1. booherap

booherap New Member

I posted a message yesterday, and i believe i wasn't specific enough about my problem. I am currently taking risperdal for schizophrenia, and since i have began taking it, I am fatigued all the time. I didn't know if it was CFS or just from the risperdal, so i went to a doctor. He told me that it is from the risperdal, and prescribed me provigil to combat it. I have been taking it for 3 days and really haven't felt any better. I was wondering if provigil is like SSRI's in the way that it has to build up in your system for it to be effective. Or does it start to make you feel better about an hour after you take it. I am curious because if it doesn't have to build up in your system, I am going to call my doctor about it. Thank you for responding.
  2. booherap

booherap New Member

My doctor is going to call me tommorrow and i am going to ask him about how long does it take to make an effect. Once i find out i will message you. Also . .doesn't it seem as if you are more tired than before you started taking it or is it just me.
  3. Cactuslil

Cactuslil New Member

I have gotten really crimped on time to post on here due to m medical circus.

I started taking about 6-months or so Provigil to just get out of bed! The fatigue was just about to get me with the other probs of my med. profile.

Now, after three times falling asleep driving and the latter happened at 4:00pm while my son and I are going uphill toward a Ford Taurus then a moving train! I drive a Handicapped Van, Chevy Custom w/the rack factory...a very heavy vehicle. I was mortified. I fell that dead asleep quicker than my son could notice. I opened my eyes just in tie to prevent a probably fatal accident!

So my doc orders labs and a sleep study. That sleep study is still being studied but the company that ran the exam said no doubt I would be put on CO (something) each evening or whenever I rest and am near my soon to be delivered hospital bed. The pain of my spinal stenosis and FMS cause me devilment each morning getting up to a sitting position. I am like a slug for 30-mins then I start yelling HELP hoping one of my two children would open their eyes and help! Oh, well, that to be soon resolved. I am quite depressed about "going into a hospital bed" but I know it will be better. On that sleep study....WOW! I had been sleeping what I thought was my usual good sleep then I felt like I went to heaven! That compressed oxygen felt so good I couldn't believe it!

The diabetes though has gone screwball! My comp. tests essentially showed no elevated glucose! Yes, I started my diet and after being chewed out, I took that diet more seriously. The doc said if it is white, don't eat it...I try however something that works for me is if I have my usual craving for ice cream, vanilla; if I eat a couple of pieces of chicken, before, after, or during, my glucose is close to or at normal!

I am still doing mucho learning! Love CactusLil'