Question about CFS & weakness...

Discussion in 'Fibromyalgia Main Forum' started by EgyptStarr, Dec 7, 2005.

1. EgyptStarr

EgyptStarr New Member

I always see "weakness" as a common complaint/symptom of CFS. But sometimes when I feel somewhat "normal" (as in, I feel capable of doing the things I used to do before my first flare), like maybe helping my fiance' stack wood outside, help move a heavy piece of furniture, etc...... my sweetie jokingly calls me "Hoss". lol He thinks I'm pretty tough and strong for a woman.

I don't think I am, really..... I just spent every summer in the country helping my grandparents on their farm when I was in my pre-teens and early teens. I took care of the horses and other animals, helped my grandpa mend the roof and clean the gutters, helped my grandma with all the tough "spring cleaning" chores she couldn't do herself, etc. And sometimes, even now, I find myself capable of doing that same "tough" kind of work, occassionally.

BUT..... sometimes when I feel lousy, I FEEL weak. I mean, one day, I feel like I could almost pick up a truck, and another day, just dragging my butt out of bed seems to DRAIN me! Is this the kind of weakness they're talking about? The kind that "comes and goes", Or are they saying that people with CFS are ALWAYS PHYSICALLY WEAK? Because if it's the latter, then I'm not you're "normal" PWC!

Just a curious thought....... Thanks!

Hugs!
    Starr

2. EgyptStarr

EgyptStarr New Member

Thanks, hangininthere!

Anyone else?

Hugs!
    Starr
  3. jaltair

jaltair New Member

I think that the horrible fatigue causes the weakness.

I have FMS as well and the pain, etc. doesn't help.

I'm as limp as a rag as well. My doctor has limited me to not lifting over 25 lbs.

Used to be a really strong mama and able to do my housework, paint a room, etc. etc. in one day! Ohhhhhh wish that I could get that back for Christmas!
  4. LittleBluestem

LittleBluestem New Member

A "normal" PCW? Just what is that! ;-)

My strength does not vary much over the short term, but has over the long term. I too grew up on a farm and used to be strong as an ox. People were amazed at the amount of weight that I could carry. A couple of years ago I was shocked and embarrassed to find that I could barely drag (and I do mean drag) myself into the saddle of a small horse. Today I am better than that.

One cause of CFS is dysfunction of the mitochondria - the "engines" that provide power to your muscles and your brain. When your muscles do not have sufficient energy, you are weak. The mitrochondrial dysfunction has to do with a failure in their fuel supply. Once the available fuel is used up, you get "post exertional exhaustion" until an adequate fuel supply is regenerated.
  5. EgyptStarr

EgyptStarr New Member

Thanks, Ladies!

Bumping for more input.....

Hugs!
    Starr
  6. KimDC

KimDC New Member

I have CFS (no FM) and weakness is the symptom I struggle with the most. It's a feeling of intense "heaviness". I describe it as just like the feel of the lead blanket that they drape on you when you're getting an x-ray. I know it's going to be a bad day when the alarm goes off and it feels like a 500 lb. person is laying on top of me. However, some days, the feeling is gone completely.
  7. Empower

Empower New Member

I am glad you posted this because I have CFS and FMS and weakness is really bothering me lately

Some times I feel Okay and then Bam, I feel totally weak, like I can't even walk up the steps

It is very frustrating!!!! I often wonder if I have heart problems
  8. mbofov

mbofov Active Member

Every once in awhile I have a good day, and when I have a good day, I feel GOOD. I have energy, I can go for walks, I can do things I used to do in my former life. Of course it is always short-lived, followed by a crash, or I get sick. I get sick an awful lot. So it seems most of the time I'm either sick, getting over being sick, crashing, getting over a crash, and once in a great while, I have a good day.

So no, I'm not weak all the time. Just most of the time.

Mary
  9. Adl123

Adl123 New Member

Dear Starr,
    I have good days and bad days. On good days I can do something like vacuum, but my endurance is only for a few minutes.

On a bad day, I really am so weak that I am on the verge of collapse just going from my chair to the bathroom, which is about 10 feet. On these days I am lightheaded and have difficulty holding things, like a pen. Sometims I have to muster up all my strength just to sign my name.

I guess everyone is different.
    Terry

10. Solaris_Starr

Solaris_Starr New Member

Oh ya, I can relate to that! I too have this unpredictable weakness!!! It's so weird! I hate it. One min I'm fine, the next I'm as helpless as a baby. It's like all of a sudden all of my life force is sucked out of my body. I weak as a kitten, shakey, my heart will start to palpitate and I can barely speak three words without becoming breathless! Yes, I ko know this weakness you speak of.

It's one of my major symptoms. On a good day I can paint an entire room in my house while singing along to a great cd, and then, "WHAM" , instant puddle on the floor not able to clean up the paint or put anything away. I have to drag myself shaking and sweating to my bed.....mind blowing!

Hang in there...

Sandy
  11. zerped

zerped New Member

After 3.5 years, my ME/CFIDS daily headaches are gone, but the fatigue is the #1 offender now. Sometimes when I wake up in the morning it feels like something mentioned earlier; like a lead blanket was laying on top of me. Most mornings I get up just fine. But sometimes during the day (usuall when I'm sitting down) I'll feel like someone let all the air out of me, and it takes a real effort to get to my feet.

one of my favorite terms in this mess is "post-exertional malaise." If I'm having a good day I feel (almost) normal and so I do a bunch of stuff I normally don't do. After a really active day, I pay for it by being (as they say) a limp rag.
  12. kylesmom

kylesmom New Member

"I know it's going to be a bad day when the alarm goes off and it feels like a 500 lb. person is laying on top of me. "

I think that's a perfect description. Add to that the feeling of having run a marathon and gone out drinking the night before, and that pretty well sums up most of my mornings.
  13. MsE

MsE New Member

That weakness you are describing comes and goes. For instance, this morning I had trouble standing. Right now I feel reasonably okay. Wouldn't want to go any place, mind you, but I'm not feeling as though I'm going to drop if I don't lie down. For me, the mornings are often the worst.