Question about depression and klonopin...

Discussion in 'Fibromyalgia Main Forum' started by MiahRoo, Aug 27, 2003.

1. MiahRoo

MiahRoo New Member

Lately I've been feeling really depressed. Empty. Just this general lack of anything. Numb in a negative way. I feel agitated (sp?) a lot. Like right now I just feel major "BLAH"...like I want to throw something yet that's just not even worth it. I felt like this a lot through my early teen years and was on anti-depressants for quite some time. I'm not taking any now because the depression seemed to be gone and the meds were really just helping my anxiety and making me feel kind of numb and I didn't like it. So I started just taking xanax for anxiety as needed and gave the boot to the anti-depressants. I started taking Klonopin at the begining of this month and stopped the xanax quite a while back. I have thoughts of suicide but I'm not suicidal. I know that sounds wacky but I've talked to my therapist about it and she gets it. I don't want to kill myself or anything but I just have these thoughts sometimes. I could just stare at a blank wall all day and feel that empty negative nothing. Distraction just annoys me more. It's confusing so I doubt anybody will really understand this but I figured I'd give it a shot.

Here's my big question. Has anyone ever had a problem with klonopin causing depression like this? I wasn't having these feelings at all before the Klonopin. Sure I had my bad days but nothing like this. The med is helping my anxiety and my sleep has been fabulous! Think this could be a side effect? I'm just completely confused and rather pissed off. Don't really know what to do about it. Thanks for listening.
  2. Cactuslil

Cactuslil New Member

I am 53 and have fought clinical depression and anxiety since I was 13 years old. There are psychiatric designations that differenciate depressions et al.but after a certain point your depression, obviously clinical in nature, is here to stay, short of a miracle.

There are remissions but still a nagging cloud not too far off. When the minor clinical aspects worsen, you then have a major depressive episode on your hands, and sometimes get the nasty little note indicating anhedonia!

I did not even know that "anhedonia" was a part of my psych profile until I read the reports after my SS was found to be of merit; I started then to investigate as my psychiatrist told me anhedonia was considered to be incurable;;;and I thought...no way buddy!

So I researched, listened (my gent. friend has two bros who are psychiatrists), would not give up...great scott...right?

Well, after 14 mos. of -0- medical treatment except psychiatric (Texas, this county in particular) axed all medicaid except to children or preg. and less than 21 yrs of age..I was finally blessed by social security and could then begin my search for a really special doc and I found him. We tried a few meds...they made matters worse..then I read up on a med for narcolepsy/EDS and requested a trial.
    Little did I know then I would become narcoleptic...but it worked.

I still have days that are just as you described and have also been mentally suicidal but after all these years you learn the moment or hour or whatever will pass...but it is woefully painful.

So, get a good psychiatrist or MD knowledgable in neurology and psychiatry, and start trying to find relief. I also have IBS which lead to Panic Disorder leading to agorrophobia (and I used to be an entertainer!) and I have PST and I have it bad! Cost me one very dear doctor.

Good luck in your search for wellness. CactusLil'