Question about depression medication

Discussion in 'Fibromyalgia Main Forum' started by kriket, May 23, 2006.

1. kriket

kriket New Member

Ok, I feel kind of stupid asking this question, but how do you know when and if you need to ask the doctor about increasing depression med. I have been taking 150mg of wellbutrin for about 3 yrs. or so. Lately I have been real emotional, teary eyed, and just not in control of my emotions. Does it sound like my depression med. is either not working or needs to be increased. I hate to have to take more, but I hate feeling this way emotionally. What are your insights? Let me know what you think.

Kriket
  2. michella

michella New Member

I've read that wellbutrin does not treat depression as well as the ssri's(selected seritonin re-uptake inhibitor's). It has less side effects so it is desirable to try it to see if it does the job but it is less effective for depression and if the depression is severe psychiatrists don't recommend using it. They prefer to use a antidepressant that has a better likelyhood of working. I know that wellbutrin is often used in addition to other antidepressants. I believe that Effexor is a ssri and dopamine (something or another that wellbutrin is). So that might be something your doctor will likely switch you too since it is similiar and has been around for awhile. I hope my info is correct I can't guarantee it but if anything I hope it can help give you a direction in which to research. Good luck!
  3. shootingstar

shootingstar New Member

Tell your doctor what you are experiencing. I've found even reducing a dose of antidepressants has sometimes seemed to help. You can have too much, too little or the wrong one and have problems, and it seems to involve some experimentation to get everything right. Sometimes an antidepressant that has worked fine for some time will stop working over time, and you may need to change to another.

Wellbutrin is an NDRI and acts on serotonin, norepinephrine and dopamine. Effexor is an SNRI and effects serotonin and norepinephrine. SSRI's (Zoloft, Prozac and others) act on serotonin. Peoples' individual responses to any antidepressant can vary.
    [This Message was Edited on 05/24/2006]
  4. bunnyfluff

bunnyfluff Member

I also take Wellbutrin. I was taking 150 mg, and it wasn't enough, and yet 300 mg/day made me feel like I was coming out of my skin! I also do not like taking much medication, but my Neuro explained to me that chronic pain affects your brian chemicals- PERIOD! You are human, and that is how the body reacts, so it is logical that even tho I did not used to need AD's @ the beginning of this DD, I do need them now.

I appreciated his explaination of basic body function in terms I could understand, and it made me feel like he was a partner in the treatment of my pain.

That being said (long story longer-LOL), I started taking the extra 150 mg pill every other day @ bedtime, which believe me, I was reluctant to do, but you know what??? I feel GREAT! I have energy, I feel happy, and I actually feel HUMAN for the first time in at least a year. Zoloft never did that for me.

So, I encourage you to talk frankly with your Dr, and hopefully you will find a solution!
  5. caroleye

caroleye New Member

If you want to try an all natural approach, I was told about Rhodeola (health food store herb).

I just couldn't do the AD's.

LIGHT*********carole
  6. caroleye

caroleye New Member

Forgot about this one as well........Licorice Extract.

'c'
  7. Jeanne-in-Canada

Jeanne-in-Canada New Member

the 150 mgs you are on now is a pretty low dose, esp. given that Wellbutrin is one of the weaker a.d.'s. Well, it is and it isn't, because it works on dopamine primarily, and most of them are SSRI's or NSRI'S. So if dopamine is what you need boosted, then it's the one for you, but most people need more serotonin.

the logical step would be to up it to 200 mgs, and see how that does you. I'm not surewhy another poster had to make the leap up to 300 mgs, which was too strong, so took it every second day. Was 200 mgs not a possibility?

That's what I'm on now. You can safely go up to 400 mgs if need be. I started at 150 mg, then 300 mg for years, but then that wasn't enough, and went up to 400 mgs. That was producing some noticable side effects though, so I found a better option for me, and I'm weaning off of it altogether.

Jeanne
  8. ANNXYZ

ANNXYZ New Member

I would either raise the dose or add a med that covers anxiety also , like zoloft or prozac . I know that wellbutrin does not help with anxiety at all , though it can improve deression.

Prozac comes in a generic pill now , so it is cheaper .
    Wellbutrin is often combined with other meds because it does not effect the anxiety .

We are lay people here and not professionals , so all we can offer is opinions . Good Luck!
  9. ANNXYZ

ANNXYZ New Member

How are you treating your depression ? Are you using meds? I would love to be off meds , but my instincts tell me that I should stick with what is working . My family has such a strong history of depression .
  10. ksp56

ksp56 Member

New studies have found that backing up one AD with another, seems to work well.

I am on Wellbutrin and take low dose Prozac, every 2 days. Maybe ask your doctor about this.

It does sound like depression. I hate it when it rears it's ugly head. At the time, it seems as if I will never be happy again. Thank heavens, that isn't so.

Take good care of yourself.

Gentle Hugs,

Kim
  11. mme_curie68

mme_curie68 New Member

Sounds like you may need to go up in dose or change up the AD.

I seem to get resistant to an antidepressant after I have been taking it for a couple of years. I've had to change several times.

It's very frustrating, I'm never thrilled when I have to make a change or add yet another pill to the regimen, but your emotional well-being affects every aspect of your life - sleep, pain perception, appetite, you name it. When you are depressed in addition to everything else going on it makes things worse.

Don't let it get so bad that you are in desperate straits - the sooner you get adjusted the easier it will be to "climb out of the pit" - the longer your mood goes down, the harder it will be to get it in an upward direction again.

Hugs,
    Madame Curie
  12. carebelle

carebelle New Member

Sometimes tears are just normal .It's when you have stress on top or other things that overload you that depression can pop up. Are you happy with your job or does it stress you out ?The reason I ask is I have a friend who is a massage therapist and she has told me she has trouble with picking up bad energy from her clients .Could it be you are emotionally feeling their pain when you work on them?That is a emotionally draining job.
    I hope that does not sound to weird. Whens the last time you had a physical ? I hope this does not bother you but could you be preg.? Could be a hormonal thing.
    Look at other things that could be causing it ,but it does sound like you need to talk it over with your Doctor.
    I hope you feel better.
  13. kriket

kriket New Member

Guess I need to talk to my doctor. Before trying wellbutrin, I tried zoloft, prozac, paxil, and something else. These all either did not work or made me worse. Anti- depressants have always worked weird on me.

I am not pregnant. I am under a great deal of stress right now, due to a huge lawsuit. maybe I am just under too much stress. I have studied the negative energy thing in massage therapy, so I know what you're talking about there. Dunno about that.

Massage therapy I will agree is a very emotionally involved career. You're not just massaging people, you do feel things that are going on in one's body. Most of you probably don't understand, but that's ok. Thanks to all for your opinions.
  14. Jeanne-in-Canada

There was some confusion as to what type of depression i had for sure. First shrink dx'd major depression, chronic recurrent w/ SAD, my last doc thought I was bipolar, and current shrink thought mildly bipolar w/ seasonal and worse in winter.

I've tried most of the a.d.'s w/ very quick bad reactions to SSRI's, serotonin syndrome after only a dose or two. So Wellbutrin works quick, only took a few days to adjust and know it was the one, but had to up my dose after a few years, and it barely worked in winters when depression hit me hard. I'm not depressed except for winters, so it turned out to be SAD after all, and not BP at all, but I get rather hyper in the summer when the sun can overstimulate me and get bad insomnia then too.

Since Wellbutrin barely worked anymore, and gave me the nasty side effect of anxiety (where I had no anxiety problems before it), my only option was trying light therapy. Boy do I wish I'd tried it sooner. I bought a full spectrum desk lamp, and along w/ glandulars for my adrenalsmainly and other supporting glands, I have the best depression treatment I ever had. Better than Wellbutrin ever was, even in the beginning, and no side effects. Wellbutrin has always given me bad dry mouth, and super irritable bladder because I'm constantly drinking or am dessert parched feeling.

The worst side effect is the darn anxiety. I guess it always gave me anxiety, but I didn't link it at the lower dose. it started w/ fear of large dogs, when I'd never been afraid before, and hadn't even been bitten to trigger it. When I had to up the dose, then it got obvious, I'd be paronoid a serial killer might be around the corner every time I went out for a smoke, and I actually got paronoid of bears when out for a walk in broad daylight.

so I had to take another ad/antianxiety med, St. John's Wort, to augment my worsening depression
    , and to deal w/ the bizarre anxiety. I really noticed when I tried to go off the St. John's wort in the summer, because I'm not even depressed then, and then then my whole summer was blighted by high anxiety. so I'm glad I found something much better. The light therapy is so good for my energy too, even improves my sluggish bowels, and gives me a pick me up in the afternoon when I start crashing. It's very good for daytime sleepiness, because it suppressed melotonin in the day when we shouldn't produce it. A common problem w/ FM/CFS, as you know.

Jeanne

15. kriket

kriket New Member

Could you tell me where I could find a full spectrum desk lamp and glandular? Don't know anything about either. Are they very expensive. Anything, especially something more natural would probably be easier on my body. PLease let me know. Anyhting is worth a try. Thanks a lot!!!!!!

Kriket
  16. Jeanne-in-Canada

The beauty of taking glandulars and light therapy is that you can continue your meds, and if it works, then you can slowly reduce w/ safety, as the new therapies take over, you'll definitely know. That's what I'm doing.

Jeanne
  17. Jeanne-in-Canada

I bumped a few threads about taking glandulars, lots of Q & A in them too, w/ all the other benefits of taking them besides the unexpected benefit of depression treatment. Actually didn't expect that, or start taking them for it. If they fall off the front page too quick, just click on my username and the titles will pop out at you, I incld you name in the titles too.

I bought my light lamp at Full Spectrum Solutions, its a BlueMax desklamp, best price, dimmable, and fullest colour spectrum. I shopped around alot. Appollo is another light therapy site, but their prices aren't as good, they do have much better info articles too. Light therapy is individual, you really have to tailor it and play around to get the right times and right time doses for you.

Jeanne

18. Jeanne-in-Canada

Getting some natural sunlight definitely helps, but I find the light lamp superior and seems to work better. The big thing is "sunlight on demand". I need it w/in the hour I wake up, and again in the late aft and/or early evening. In the winter esp., think Canadian winter, the sunlight just isn't there when you need it. The other thing, is intensity of light, near your eyes at the angle you need it. In the winter, the sun isn't at the right angle, in Canada, it's pretty low in the sky and isn't up for long.

I also found it would take at least 2-3 days consecutive to pull me out of my depression hole. At certain times of the year, you just rarely get that, and if you are really sick and it's -20 below or colder, it's hell on wheels to go out and get it, supposing the darn sun is actually out. I don't find cloudy days do much for me personally.

Nope, my light lamp and glands have turned my life around.

Jeanne
  19. NyroFan

NyroFan New Member

kriket:

I would talk to doc about it. An increase might be due.
    Unless you mention it they do not know.

nyrofan
  20. NyroFan

NyroFan New Member

Kriket:

Absoulutely tell the prescribing doctor about how you feel.
    It can be changed, increase...or whatever.
    Do not feel you can not tell them day or night that you feel it 'isn't working'. Tell them and all will be OK.
    Just my experience....

nyrofan