Question about 'detoxing'

Discussion in 'Fibromyalgia Main Forum' started by paulac7, Sep 16, 2009.

1. paulac7

paulac7 Member

I keep hearing people here talking about 'detoxing'.

Would someone be so kind as to explain what that is, and how it affects people with FM and other assorted symptoms??

2. TigerLilea

TigerLilea Active Member

If we were as toxic as some people would have us believe, we would be dead. I have to laugh when I read of yet another person "herxing" from taking a supplement. I'm sure that if the internet didn't exist and people with CFS hadn't read about herxing, they would be able to take most supplements without any problems. I've had CFS for 18 years now, tried lord knows how many different supplements and protocols, and have yet to herx, even once.

Good article, Ben.
  3. mbofov

mbofov Active Member

Science used to "know" that bees could not fly, because they did not conform to standard known rules of aerodynamics and flight. However, the bees did not know this, so they continued to fly anyway. Science finally caught up to the bees.

Just because "science" does not know something, does not mean it's not real.

Detoxing is a very real phenomenon and I concur with Rainbow's assessment.

Our environment can be quite toxic - air, water, food, etc. all have contamination to varying degrees with pesticides, heavy metals, chemicals of all sorts. Our liver, kidneys, colon and skin are the major organs of elimination to get rid of these contaminants. However, depending on the level of toxins one is exposed to and a person's health, toxins can accumulate in the body instead of being excreted.

One theory regarding CFS is that there is a partial block in the methylation cycle. When this occurs, the natural detox pathways of the body do not work properly, and people with CFS are known to generally have a high level of toxins in their bodies. Certain foods and herbs etc. (and chelation as mentioned above) can cause the cells to release these toxins for elimination. However, if the toxic load is too great, or the detox pathways ineffeicient, then often a person will feel sick or fluish, extra tired, etc. - which are caused by toxins circulating in the body.

It's easy to say that any effect from certain treatments are placebo when science really doesn't know what it's talking about (remember the bees?). I know that detoxing is quite real - I've experienced it too much. I remember blithely taking chlorella a few years ago, read how good it was for the body, and ended up feeling quite sick. I had no belief I was going to feel sick when I first took the chlorella, it was not a placebo effect. I just thought it was going to make me feel good. Then I find out that chlorella binds to heavy metals, can cause detox.

About 7 years ago I did a liver detox. Before the detox, one glass of wine would leave me feeling sick for an entire day, and 2 glasses would wipe me out for 2-3 days. This was not a placebo effect. I used to be able to tolerate alcohol. Anyways, my chiropractor who did muscle testing said my liver was toxic, overloaded with toxins, and I did a liver detox under his supervision. It was not fun, I felt crappy for most of a month, and at the end of that month, my liver was much better. Suddenly I could drink a glass or two of wine without getting sick. My overall digestion improved a great deal. I had had a job when I was 19 in factory where I had heavy exposure to chemical solvents, and they seemed to be part of the problem.

I'm currently following Rich Vank's methylation protocol which is supposed to help restart the methylation cycle in the body, and thus the detox pathways. It's very slow but I am making progress. Most people who have tried the protocol get quicker results.

Hope this is not too much information for you -

[This Message was Edited on 09/17/2009]
    [This Message was Edited on 09/17/2009]
  4. AllWXRider

AllWXRider New Member

Our body is "fearfully and wonderfully made" but if you have toxic metals, many detox pathways get disrupted.
    Joseph McWherter MD says that an enzyme is made up of an amino acid and a metal, if the wrong metal gets used than wrong chemicals get made or none at all.

An enzyme makes or breaks down everything in the body. The body has 3000+ enzymes and 2000+ are in the liver.

Mercury is the worst toxic metal. The Russians used in WWI, but developed a secret antidote. Its DMSA. It has a long safety history. It still available from
  5. mbofov

mbofov Active Member

I can understand your skepticism about something you’ve never experienced, but I think it’s good to keep an open mind. If traditional medicine had all the answers, we wouldn’t be coming to this board - we’d all be well.

The first time I herxed was back in my 20's (yeah, a long time ago), before I came down with CFIDS, before I’d ever heard of a herxheimer reaction or knew what it was. I had had a severe infection, and got a heavy duty dose of antibiotics, shots and pills. The next day I felt worse than ever and called my doctor to find out what the h* was going on. He told me it was a herxheimer reaction - large numbers of pathogens dying off. They release toxins when they are killed. So that’s why I felt so crappy instead of feeling better right away.

There is a difference between herxing and detoxing. Herxing refers to die-off of pathogens, and detoxing of course refers to getting toxins out of the body.

6. paulac7

paulac7 Member

I had *no* idea that I would get such varying opinions and answers on the 'detox' thing...........I had no clue what in the heck people were talking about when they would 'detox'. Personally, I don't think I have ever experienced it. But everyone is different, and responds to things different ways.

Now I am considerably enlightened, and I appreciate the feedback.

Thanks, all!

7. TigerLilea

TigerLilea Active Member

Hi Mary - I agree that there is a difference between the two; I was using it in the sense that seems to be accepted within the CFS community these days. Herxing originally applied to an antibiotic that was used for Lyme disease, and the herx usually was thought to last about the first 24 hours.

Today, you hear people all the time referring to herxing after taking supplements that supposedly was causing them to detox from all the toxins in their body. This is what I was referring to. I just don't believe a person can herx or detox simply from taking a few vitamin pills or supplements. Some people claim to be detoxing after taking a single pill.