Question about drinking water w/sea salt

Discussion in 'Fibromyalgia Main Forum' started by Pindooca, Aug 28, 2003.

1. Pindooca

Pindooca New Member

Can someone clarify for me the benefits of drinking water with sea salt... or is it some other sort of salt?

How much do you use, and how often? I'm concerned that I would be able to taste it, and if I could taste the salt, I wouldn't be able to drink the water. :(

Thanks for the responses in advance.

2. jadibeler

jadibeler New Member

You'll get a lot of good information on this but I can tell you now that the rule of thumb on the sea salt (yes, it has to be, for your own good)is 1/4 teaspoon/quart of water consumed. There's something about salt water, but I can't remember what it is. I don't like the taste of the salt in the water either, so what I do is sprinkle a little sea salt on my hand and lick it off, then drink the water (ice cold, for me). I love salt, so that taste by itself I like and it makes me drink more water! I try to do it every time I fill my glass and sometimes in between.

JoAnn
  3. Mrs. B

Mrs. B New Member

so, I just put it on my food AFTER cooking it. It loses a lot of the good qualities if it is cooked. You should take 1/4 teaspoon a day with half your body weight in OUNCES of water. For example: If you weigh 150 lbs. you would want to drink 75 ounces of water per day. I think the best sea salt is the purest. The kind that is unrefined and has no caking agents. Hope this answered your questions. :)

Lisa
    [This Message was Edited on 08/28/2003]
  4. Pindooca

Pindooca New Member

Is that a 1/4 tsp total per day or per glass? Please, forgive my stupidity. I've never been advised to incorporate salt into my diet at all, and I don't want to do it unless I do it correctly. :)
  5. kar1953

kar1953 New Member

I'm wondering if sea salt contributes to high blood pressure just like other salt? If so, how can this be good for someone with high blood pressure already? I don't have, fortunately, but know plenty of folks who do.

I put mine in my water, but don't like it much. May try the sprinkle on hand, lick off, drink water method.

Take care....Kathi
  6. Jasmine

Jasmine New Member

There's lots of information about the sea salt and water at the watercure website. I'm been doing watercure for 15 months now and it gives me more energy and my blood pressure is closer to normal now. It used to be very low and I would get dizzy and breathless. Also no more migraines during my monthly period and no more painful eye spasms or blurry vision. It's amazing what drinking half your body weight in water and a quarter teaspoon of sea salt a day can do for my neurally mediated hypotension. I spread the quarter teaspoonful of sea salt out during three times a day with the water. I just lick the sea salt off my hand and drink the water. I also put the sea salt in my eggs for dinner. Also I use the special Celtic sea salt written about on the watercure website as I found it was better than the kind in the health food store. Sea Salt is a bad idea for anyone with normal or high blood pressure.

Love, Jasmine

7. Pindooca

Pindooca New Member

... usually runs normal. I do have high cholesterol (am on Lipitor). I guess I should probably forego the salt experiment. :(
  8. kar1953

kar1953 New Member

Jasmine,

I think I'll check out this site. I have normal blood pressure most times. But when in a lot of pain it's pretty high. Maybe the sea salt thing isn't a good idea for me either. I'll still do the half my body weight in water, but maybe just using sea salt in cooking instead of regular salt would be ok.??

Thanks for the info.....Kathi
  9. Mrs. B

Mrs. B New Member

I have put up a post entitled "functions of sea salt." I hope this answers your questions but, if not don't hesitate to ask if I don't have the answer I'm sure Mikie, Shirl or others on here will. :)

Lisa
  10. Shirl

Shirl New Member

I think everyone has explained this already, all that I can add is that if you can't handle just eating the 1/4 teaspoon of salt, try putting it on nuts, potato chips or just one your food thoughout the day.

Besides the website, the doctor that sponsors it also has a very good new book out that is easier to read that his original one.
    Its; 'Water; for Health, for Healing, for Life' by F. Batmanghelidj, MD. It is even indexed. to this bookworm is a big asset!

I can't see where anyone could be harmed by a 1/4 teaspoon of Sea Salt. No matter what people suffer from, your body does need a small amount of salt to function properly.

I do take it throughout the day, not all at one time. I love salt, so I just put a little on my hand and lick it off!

I started the watercure because of sinus, migraine, and cluster headaches and allergies, I have been drinking half my body weight in ounces of water, along with the Sea Salt now for over a year and a half, and believe me, I am a 'new' person with those headaches that I got almost daily, not to mention all the allergies.

Now I get a headache once in awhile like 'normals' do :) My allergics have been so much less that I don't even think about them anymore.

But it will not help with Chemical Allegries. Thats a whole different story!

Good luck.....................

Shalom, Shirl
  11. Shirl

Shirl New Member

Mrs. B
    (192)

Functions of Sea Salt 08/29/03 08:24 PM

Salt has many other functions than just regulating the water content of the body. Here are some of the more vital functions of salt in the body:
    1. Salt is most effective in stabilizing irregular heartbeats and, Contrary to the misconception that it causes high blood pressure, it is actually essential for the regulation of blood pressure - in conjunction with water. Naturally the proportions are critical.

2. Salt is vital to the extraction of excess acidity from the cells in the body, particularly the brain cells.

3. Salt is vital for balancing the sugar levels in the blood; a needed element in diabetics.

4. Salt is vital for the generation of hydroelectric energy in cells in the body. It is used for local power generation at the sites of energy need by the cells.

5. Salt is vital to the nerve cells' communication and information processing all the time that the brain cells work, from the moment of conception to death.

6. Salt is vital for absorption of food particles through the intestinal tract.

7. Salt is vital for the clearance of the lungs of mucus plugs and sticky phlegm, particularly in asthma and cystic fibrosis.

8. Salt is vital for clearing up catarrh and congestion of the sinuses.

9. Salt is a strong natural antihistamine.

10. Salt is essential for the prevention of muscle cramps.

11. Salt is vital to prevent excess saliva production to the point that it flows out of the mouth during sleep. Needing to constantly mop up excess saliva indicates salt shortage.

12. Salt is absolutely vital to making the structure of bones firm. Osteoporosis, in a major way, is a result of salt and water shortage in the body.

13. Salt is vital for sleep regulation. It is a natural hypnotic.

14. Salt is a vitally needed element in the treatment of diabetics.

15. Salt on the tongue will stop persistent dry coughs.
    16. Salt is vital for the prevention of gout and gouty arthritis.

17. Salt is vital for maintaining sexuality and libido.
    18. Salt is vital for preventing varicose veins and spider veins on the legs and thighs.

19. Salt is vital to the communication and information processing nerve cells the entire time that the brain cells work - from the moment of conception to death.

20. Salt is vital for reducing a double chin. When the body is short of salt, it means the body really is short of water. The salivary glands sense the salt shortage and are obliged to produce more saliva to lubricate the act of chewing and swallowing and also to supply the stomach with water that it needs for breaking down foods. Circulation to the salivary glands increases and the blood vessels become "leaky" in order to supply the glands with water to manufacture saliva. The "leakiness" spills beyond the area of the glands themselves, causing increased bulk under the skin of the chin, the cheeks and into the neck.

21. Sea salt contains about 80 mineral elements that the body needs. Some of these elements are needed in trace amounts. Unrefined sea salt is a better choice of salt than other types of salt on the market. Ordinary table salt that is bought in the super markets has been stripped of its companion elements and contains additive elements such as aluminum silicate to keep it powdery and porous. Aluminum is a very toxic element in our nervous system. It is implicated as one of the primary causes of Alzheimer's disease.

22. Twenty-seven percent of the body's salt is in the bones. Osteoporosis results when the body needs more salt and takes it from the body. Bones are twenty-two percent water. Is it not obvious what happens to the bones when we're deficient in salt or water or both.

12. PatPalmer

PatPalmer New Member

Just to clear up some confusion:- Table Salt because of it`s additives and processing, can increase blood pressure.

Natural Sea/ Rock Salt will help in correcting both high and low blood pressure.

High blood pressure is often due to a combined Water & Sea Salt deficiency. This deficiency causes hypertension which in turn affects the blood.

Love Pat.