QUESTION ABOUT FFC

Discussion in 'Fibromyalgia Main Forum' started by Lolalee, Feb 24, 2006.

1. Lolalee

Lolalee New Member

I am thinking of going to an FFC center.

Has anyone been to either the Dallas or Fort Worth centers? If so, please tell me what your experience has been like?

There is also a possibility of my going to the Atlanta center.
    I would appreciate feedback from anyone who has gone to the Atlanta center.

Thanks, Lolalee
  2. spiritsky

spiritsky Member

3. laura81655

laura81655 New Member

On the upper left, and type in FFC, you will find a ton of information from all of the FFC's. Good Luck~
  4. ldbgcoleman

ldbgcoleman New Member

I go to the Atlanta center and see Dr Bullington. I started at the end of April 2005 and now I am alot better! I have been retested twice for different things they have found and everything except the Mycoplasma has cleared up

If you click on my user name you can find lots of posts about my experiences. There are many others on here from Atlanta. Fibrotart just had her first visit, karatelady, countrymom, and some others too. Try searching Atlanta FFC and you should get some hits.

Good Luck and I am happy to answer any questions you have!

Lynn
  5. marilynb

marilynb New Member

I am checking on the center in Dallas. Their next seminar is in March & I plan on going so I can get some additional information.

Where do you live?

Marilyn
  6. Lolalee

Lolalee New Member

marilynb...I live in Alabama...used to live in Dallas area...I wasn't aware of seminar in March. I might look into that.

laura81655...thanks for the response. Yes I know that I can do a search for FFC, but I'm looking for specific info and thought it might be easier for me to not have to read through all the posts.

lynn...I am considering the Atlanta center because it is closer to me geographically by automobile. I am curious about Dallas because we can fly directly (I have airline travel privileges), so that might be cheaper and less tiring. Thanks for your offer to give me more info. So far, I've read that more people have been helped than not.
  7. Lolalee

Lolalee New Member

looking for more responses
  8. crumpton

crumpton New Member

I live in FL and the closest is Atlanta 8 hrs by driving or could fly and stay to. More money maybe

My question is how do they treat you with IV's and shots long distance. Pain Meds out of state and so on? Has anyone else done this long distance?

I am looking into trying this as everything else is not working as well as I want or hoped.

Thanks.
  9. ldbgcoleman

ldbgcoleman New Member

just from my informal observation it seems that the people who are not helped don't stay with it long enough. they seem to quit after 2 or 3 months. They start feeling worse and say it isn't working and stop at that point.

first most people go through herxes and feel worse for awhile. They tell you this up front when you go. They will slow down your treatment and go slower if the Herxing gets too bad. Second they tell you up front it will take at least 4 months probably 6 to a year. This all depends on the underlying illnesses you have how long you have had them and how you respond to the treatment.

I was a best case scenario. My problems were strightforward. I was only sick for 3 years and I tolerated all the treatments very well. I also did exactly what they asked me to do which was tough but not more than I could handle.

The worst case would be you have Lymes for a long time and you don't tolerate antibiotics at all.

Last they never tell you there is a cure. some of my underlying problems have bee completely cured and some I will have to monitor for the rest of my life. I will always have EBV and it could become active again. I still have mycoplasma and am switching treatment for that.

This is highly individualized approach which is specifically tailored to you and what you are fighting.

Finally I can't stress enough that you need to practice as much positive thinking as possible and give yourself a break and time to get better. I personally think your mental attitude will help you make it through treatment.

I hope if you don't go to an FFC that you will find a Dr who is open minded and will thoroughly test you! Good Luck you are on the right track! Lynn
  10. bettydroop

bettydroop New Member

Hi there I jsut wanted to tell you congrats on feeeling better and I like hearing about your success- it gives me hope. I just started ffc seattle and the protocol they have set up for me.

I also wanted to say that your exactly right about thinking positive. I told myself when I started that I would be positive about this experience, and KEEP thinking that way. I DO think it has alot to do with healing. I do think this is going to help me so I am not telling myself something I dont think is true. Anyway, I am impatient sometimes and I really just started (about 1 month) so I have to keep telling myself I HAVE TO be patient with this, I know it will take time. Its hard though... so its good to see positive posts like yours, Thank you.

Bette D. Karen
  11. BethW

BethW New Member

Hi Lolalee,

We live in Central Alabama and drive to the Atlanta FFC. Dr. Bullington is great as are all the staff. It is about a 4 hr drive for us but we go up on Sunday, visit with our son, see FFC on Monday and return the same day. The pain and back IV always helps the drive back for me. We usually stay in a motel between son and FFC. I never went to the seminar, but if I had known about them at the time, I probably would have gone to one of those first. The 1st appt day and 2nd we stayed the night of the appt.

The only doctor in my area who understood CFS retired yrs ago so I really had no one who could help me here so it was an easy choice for me. I'm not aware of any doctors in our state who do the testing the FFC does. I have kept up with research over the 14 yrs I have been sick and knew there were a lot of things about my condition no one was testing or treating for. And there were many. I'm being treated for the hormone and immune problems first, then moving on to the infectious disease part. The lady in the office told me there were other people from Alabama going, but because of privacy issues I don't know who they are.

I don't regret the decision to go at all. It is well worth the trip to me. This disease is so hard to treat and takes time. I do have hope I will get better because I am seeing small progress that gives me hope. If you have any questions, I would be glad to help if I can.

BethW

12. Lolalee

Lolalee New Member

Thanks so much for your reply. It is encouraging to know that I am not the only one from Alabama seeking treatment at the Atlanta FFC. It is quite a long drive for me since I live in Fairhope (near Mobile) and we will have to stay in a hotel. That, of course, adds to the cost.

My husband is so anxious to have me feeling better that he is more than willing to incur the cost. I was hoping to get feedback from Texas FFC'rs but so far no one has answered.

As I mentioned earlier I can fly to DFW for free and stay with family or friends so it would certainly be cheaper. But, sometimes it is more restful to just stay at a hotel and not do a lot of socializing. I'm still deciding.

Maybe I will put in another post with a different title.

Thanks and good luck to you,

Lolalee
  13. Lolalee

Lolalee New Member

thanks for the tips about being positive and patient. I tend to expect results immediately and then get frustrated when I don't . I have had FMS and CFIDS for 9 years and this is the worst I have ever felt, so I am desperate. I can't imagine spending the rest of my life feeling like this.

I spent most of the day in bed or on the sofa...not good!!!

Blessings,Lolalee
  14. abbylee

abbylee New Member

Will insurance pay for the testing and medicines?

abbylee
  15. ldbgcoleman

ldbgcoleman New Member

Glad to hear you have such agreat attitude. I definately had my down moments and was so thankful to have my husband and family to help me through. But I tried not to dwell on the negative just a lttle whinning.

How much your insurance covers depends on your insurance. I ahve Blue Cross Blue Shield of Ga and they cover most of my RX's most of the labwork and 60% of my office visits. I have to file those myself and then get reimbursed. The FFC give you the paperwork you need.

I pay for all the supplements out of pocket. Now that I am better I have been able to eliminate alot of the supplements and RX's. Some thinmgs I will take forever like Thyroid (RX) and fdish oil (supplement).

Try calling your insurance and see what they cover out of network. The testing lab is Quest Diagnostics.

Good Luck! Lynn