question about FM and shoulder pain

Discussion in 'Fibromyalgia Main Forum' started by loto, May 4, 2010.

1. loto

loto Member

Hi All,
    I know some of you have talked about the shoulder pain you have, due to FM

I didn't used to experience chronic pain in my shoulders, but lately I have.
    The pain in my shoulders is in the area right below the tops of my shoulders, like between the elbows and shoulders. Is this where the rest of you have the pain? Sometimes it's kind of like a "burning" pain. Most of the time it's just a general "achy" pain.
    Crazy how we experience new places on our bodies that develop this chronic pain. I'll just never understand how FM works and progresses to new body parts.

2. lgp

lgp Well-Known Member

I have often experienced the shoulder pain that you describe; usually an achy pain, sometimes a burning pain. I finds the burning pain disturbing, and just a bit weird. During one particularly bad flare, I have experienced that burn all through my torso as well. Really weird.

I am in a flare right now, and the pain in my hands and arms is horrible. No shoulder pain this time though. Go figure. All I know beyond certainty is that I will NEVER fully understand FM.

3. loto

loto Member

I absolutely hate the arm and hand pain the worst! I've been having that non-stop for a couple of months, now. Oh, and when my wrists just throb, it's awful! It keeps me awake at nite sometimes. And the typing! That's what I do most of the day, and sometimes it takes me forever to type a simple sentence. I'll hit the wrong keys, etc.

Last fall I'd get cortisone shots and it would help with the arm/hand pain, but I don't want to get any at this time. I gained weight from the shots, and right now I guess I'm stupid, but I'd rather put up with the pain than gain the weight that I've just recently lost. Silly, huh?

4. Janalynn

Janalynn New Member

I had THE worst arm pain right where you described, my upper arm for 6 whole weeks, non-stop right before I got officially diagnosed.
    I needed to find a new Dr. to be seen for this problem specifically. The only person available to see me was the PA. I couldn't let my arm hang on it's own, I had to support it. I couldn't even lay down and let it hang to the side.
    She recommended PT. When I saw the PTherapist, it was interesting. He must have asked me 5 times if Id ever been in a car accident. "are you SURE you haven't been in an accident?"
    Um yeah, I think I'd remember.

Anyway, the PT didn't do a thing for me. The muscle stimulant thingy's they put on me felt good, and the heat felt great, but didn't really help my situation.

When I went back to the Dr.'s office for follow up, that's when I met the Dr. - she went through my history and she immediately referred me to a rheumy suspecting Fibro. That rheumy confirmed. At the end of the appt. I mentioned my arm pain, (because it was unique to any other pain I'd been experiencing over the last 20 yrs), he believed it was Fibro pain and that it wasn't uncommon to have episodes like that.

Thankfully I haven't had anything to that degree since then. That was three years ago. When my Fibro pain is really bad, it goes right to my arms. It's normally bad in my legs, hips etc.
    Yep, my wrists will ache/throb as well.

What a pain, huh? YES PUN, intended!
  5. loto

loto Member

I get "tennis elbow" also.
    I used to go for regular massages--have the greatest massage therpist in the world!
    Anyway, I'm long overdue for one.
    My therapist would just about kill me, digging into my elbows and areas around them, but the next day the pain would be gone and stay gone for a while.
    It was hell going through the pain, but well worth it after!

I'll have to check into the infrared massager.

6. loto

loto Member

I find "freeze it" helps too, with the pain.

And, hot baths are the greatest! We recently got a hot tub in on a "barter".
    It's just sitting there on my patio, waiting for me to get in it! My husband checked it out, and it needs a heating element. It all works, it just doesn't heat the water! Definitely need that. So, I'm keeping on him to find the right part and get it going!
  7. Rockismom

Rockismom New Member

I have shoulder pain a lot of the time. If you put your hand at the base of your head and move it about a hand's length lower and to the side...that's where mine is the worst. I tell people it's like someone is putting a hot poker on it. I do have "normal" toothache like pain in my neck and shoulders as well but the burning makes me suffer more than anything I think.

I agree, the pain we suffer is crazy. Shooting pains in varies places, all over fever type pain accompanied with chills, just plain all over "run over by a Mac truck" type pain. Everything varies from day to day and sometimes minute to minute. It's like one of my friends said; "one minute you can tolerate it and the next minute you walk into another room and feel like you've hit the wall!"

You're not alone, loto.