QUestion about fresh ginger root.......(Anyone/Stormey??)

Discussion in 'Fibromyalgia Main Forum' started by neen85, Feb 21, 2006.

1. neen85

neen85 New Member

When using it do you cut the outside off first (the rough part)or leave it on. I am using it in a blender drink with olive oil and lemon juice? Daneen
  2. jfrustrated

jfrustrated New Member

When I use ginger, if parts of the skin looks thick and unpleasant I trim it with a potato peeler, but I leave on any skin that looks ok. Also, I wash it well. Not scientific, but that's what I do. Why?" No idea. I think I am influenced by the idea of the root nearest the skin is good. Good luck.
    [This Message was Edited on 02/21/2006]
  3. windblade

windblade Active Member

I cut off the rough, barky outside layer. It makes a great tea also. Really good for the liver also.

Blessings, Judy
  4. Jeanne-in-Canada

Jeanne-in-Canada New Member

If it's really fresh, I only take the nubby parts off, but if it's getting older it will be brown right under the skin and I have a nasty mould allergy and will react to it. So then I peel.

Ginger root makes a gorgeous tea, both hot or cold. I take a good size hunk, chop it smaller so it steeps better, at a wedge or so of lemon and add boiling water and wrap teapot in a towel. give it a good 20 mins and serve.

Ron loves it even better cold, it's spicier that way. I get a few hot pots out of it, then fill it w/ cold water, refresh the lemon and pop in the fridge. I just keep adding water and top w/ fresh ginger if needed, and have several more pots over next 3 days. It gives me a good bm the next day, but I have to watch myself because I can drink pots of it, and can get diarrhea. But it also makes me so relaxed and peaceful feeling (must be the spiceyness releasing endorphins) and I get a great sleep.
  5. neen85

neen85 New Member

I knew I would get alot of great advice here! Now I have lot's of great things to do with ginger root! Daneen
  6. crdmkr2004

crdmkr2004 New Member

You can cut off the thick skin or leave it and use a grater
    or a rasp so you can't tell it's even on there. You can also freeze it just like it is, not even in a bag or wrapped and take it out when you want, that way it doesn't get old and wrinkly and you waste it. It is great in stir fry's too and in salad dressing/vinigrettes (sp?). Enjoy
    Sandy