Question about getting tested w/no insurance

Discussion in 'Lyme Disease Archives' started by fibrohugslife, May 31, 2006.

1. fibrohugslife

fibrohugslife New Member

Hello,

This is my first visit to this board. I am on the CFS/CM board.

I have Fibromyalgia, Chronic Fatigue and IBS.

I have been getting sicker with my illnesses and in the last year or so I have felt like my body has changed and has possibly may have developed another chronic illness.

I really desire to get tested and I do have a doctor BUT I am covered by the county hospital and I have to follow whatever suggestions that they give, and I can't be making any suggestions, etc. If I do, they will drop me from the program.

I did check with the county hospital department about this and they are very strict with their coverage.
    The services are free to me because I have no income coming in. So I guess since they provide free services they can be restrictive as they so desire. I rather have some sort of care than none. Even though it takes about 3-4 months to be seen by a doctor there.

So I am wondering how do I go about in getting tested? I do not have health insurance and cannot get health insurance.

I do not work and I am not married, and I do not have any children.

I cannot get on Medi-Cal because I don't have any children, and I am not recognized as disabled by the state. If I get SSI then I would automatically be recognized as Disabled and be able to get the services I need and for sure I would have an easier time in getting tested for it.

I have applied for SSI and waiting to hear whether I was approved or not.

I saw someone mention to get testing done by a certain Lab on the fibro boards but I don't understand how that works as it sounds like that would need to be approved by a doctor or insurance company.

So how does someone in my predicament get tested? Because I do know and feel that my body has developed a new illness or two.

Let me know...thanks
  2. victoria

victoria New Member

cuz even if you are able to get tested and were to show positive, they would not know how to treat effectively anyway...

Hate to sound so negative, but that is the reality.

My son has applied for SSI - but even with that, if he needs to go on IV abx, Medicaid will only pay for 4 weeks anyway, regardless. I am looking into patient assistance programs run by drug companies etc., don't know if one exists for testing altho that could be a possibility.

Hopefully someone will come along with some possible answers...

all the best,
    Victoria