Question about Gluten/wheat allergy

Discussion in 'Fibromyalgia Main Forum' started by JaneSmith, Jun 27, 2008.

1. JaneSmith

JaneSmith New Member

I've had FM most of my life. I noticed that for the last 2 weeks I've given up eating bread. My pains have gone down from 10 being the highest to about 2. I've had headaches for decades and the only time I had a headache this week is when I had 2 slices of pizza. About 2 hours after eating the pizza, I felt like I've been punched all over my body. Your thoughts would be appreciated.
  2. Catseye

Catseye Member

Good, now you have one easy way to manage symptoms! Most people don't have the luxury of seeing results from something like this right away, mostly because it's difficult to stop eating wheat - it's in everything. It's like pulling teeth trying to get people to stop eating gluten when they have these diseases.

You can google for "gluten intestines" to see the real damage it can do. You should avoid it completely, don't even cheat a little bit. You should also avoid casein, the protein in milk, because it can do the same things as gluten. They are too hard for the digestive system to break down and when you have a disease that includes a badly functioning digestive system, the problem is 100x worse.

Gluten is bad for the gut because foods containting it are full of carbs, so it feeds the bad bacteria. Virtually all of us have gut dysbiosis so this is very, very bad. You can't get over it, you need to starve out the bad guys by avoiding carbs. Gluten also causes damage to the villa in the intestines and makes you unable to absorb nutrients from your food. You'll get the calories from the food, but not the important stuff. Nutritional deficiencies are what causes all of our symptoms.

And if this isn't bad enough, our immune systems are centered in our guts. Partially or undigested food particles pass through the damaged intestinal lining and enter the bloodstream. They make the immune system hypersensitive to everything and cause it to be overworked. Casein has basically the same effects. It's best to avoid both of them completely until you get over this. That means nothing at all with any wheat or dairy in it.

You can get gluten free substitutes, but it's best to avoid high carb foods like grains and potatoes altogether because the carbs feed the bad bacteria in the gut.

happy for you!

3. JaneSmith

JaneSmith New Member

Appreciate your words. Thank you. Jane