Question about Guai and Salicylates and FMS

Discussion in 'Fibromyalgia Main Forum' started by Empower, Aug 15, 2006.

1. Empower

Empower New Member

I have been reading about the Guai treatment, and it seems that salicylates are a problem also.

I take Excedrin daily and it contains aspirin which contains salicylates.

Maybe this is making my fibro pain worst?
  2. Smiffy

Smiffy Member

No.

Salicylates are only a problem to those of us trying to reverse our symptoms with the Guaifenesin protocol, because both substances use the same kidney receptors.
  3. janieb

janieb New Member

I've tried the Guai protocol and it seemed to work for me. During the six week period, I cycled twice. Following that time, I developed some pretty serious problems not related to fibro and had to be hospitalized. It was decided that I should work on clearing up the more devestating condition before returning to the guai protocol.

While I'm relatively new to this, there are many people on this board who have lots of experience and I'm sure you'll be hearing from them today.

You don't say how long you've been using the Guai, but it's my understanding that only the products you use on your body must not contain sals.

Good luck.

janieb
  4. Mikie

Mikie Moderator

Unless one specifically needs the aspirin, those on the Guai treatment can take the aspirin-free Excedrin.

As Smiffy pointed out, the need to avoid salicylates only applies to those of us on the Guai Protocol. Salicylates block the Guai from removing phosphate debris through the kidneys.

Love, Mikie
  5. Empower

Empower New Member

6. Smiffy

Smiffy Member

joannla asked "If Salicylates are in all plant products,does that mean no fruits and vegetables allowed?And if fruit and veggies are ok,why?Why would it be bad to use a tiny Aloe on my hair,but ok to eat a pound of ,say,tomatoes?"

We are allowed to eat fruit & vegetables normally because the digestive system destroys the salicylates in these.
    We have to avoid asprin, mint & herbal remedies because apparently the digestive system does not destroy these salicylates.

We have to avoid salicylates in dental products, toiletries & make up because they are absorbed by the skin directly into the bloodstream.
    We have to avoid the plant oils from gardening getting onto our skin by wearing gloves & long sleeves.

To understand this protocol you need a copy of Dr St Amand's book 'What your doctor may not tell you about fibromyalgia'

For further information, go to: www.fibromyalgiatreatment.com
  7. Mikie

Mikie Moderator

Is usually the most confusing part when starting out. As Smiffy points out, this doesn't affect eating our veggies and fruit.

There are a whole bunch of sal-free products on the market and once one has the list of common sals in the book, it is relatively easy to check one's personal-care items. It's not as big a deal as it appears in the beginning.

I'm glad to see so much interest again in the Guai Protocol. It has helped so many.

Janie, we must have been posting at the same time. How are you doing?

Love, Mikie
    [This Message was Edited on 08/16/2006]
  8. Smiffy

Smiffy Member

We can eat a small amount of herbs (not mint or peppermint ), but not take them in medicinal quantities. Gloves are needed in the kitchen to chop herbs as the oil on our skin might block thr Gaui.
    We can't use plant preparations on our skin, such as arnica gel or aloe vera and calendula tissues.

When in that herb garden, wear cotton gloves under rubber gloves, & keep sleeves & legs carefully covered.

After a while avoiding the salicylates just becomes automatic.
    [This Message was Edited on 08/17/2006]
  9. Dee50

Dee50 New Member

I'm on the guai protocol and I just wish to add one thing. Walking barefoot on grass is a no-no as this will block the guai from working.
    Take care,
    Dee50