Question about how fast this DD progresses FM

Discussion in 'Fibromyalgia Main Forum' started by FMsaddenedspirit, Sep 18, 2008.

1. FMsaddenedspirit

FMsaddenedspirit New Member

I have a question .. going to see my FM Doc. on Monday
    Is it normal for FM to progress very fast ? My symptoms seem to have increased so much lately
    I am much more worse off since my first visit to my Doc when the diagnosis was made that it's FM , I was on short term disibility when I first saw them and have since gone back to work. from home split shift . 4 hrs at a time , and this does me in.
    that was about 7 months ago.
    well I guess I got a little better after starting lyricia ,( it got me out of bed ) but am back to wondering how am I to do this ( work )
    just wondering if this disease progresses like this or it may be something else along with it. .. I have been putting off doing a sleep study , but my family Doc is on me to do it now. said its so so important with FM. because of chronic fatigue issues I may have also.

since visiting this web site I have started a journal to keep track on symptoms dally , should I summarize this or show them my journal ?

can anyone shed some light , Sorry for the miss spellings

Thanks for the input

2. sunflowerxo

sunflowerxo New Member

Hi Sorry to hear you are having a hard time and not feeling well. FM is so unpredictable. I had a back injury 3 years ago and a year later FM symptoms started. I first had it in the back with spasms, got the neck and shoulder pain with headaches, dizziness increased with palpitations over the year too. I guess they all come on rather quickly and especially when sleep is disturbed as mine was with my back injury it seemed within 6 months or so everything was killing, but by the year mark when I finally discovered what that it was FM/CFS, I was completely full blown. I also have the intolerence to temperature always wanting to be in warm water, cold hands and feet, every tendon and muscle hurts including sinus and jaw areas. When the FM started in my back, it went to the back of my neck where I could barely move it. I had no idea what was going on as I am a medical transcriptionist at home and work long hours which is extremely difficult and blamed the shoulder/neck and wrist pain to typing. I blamed my leg and hip pain to my back injury, the dizziness to increasing positional vertigo, the eyesight being blurry blamed on my excessive computer work and I had an excuse for everything that hurt until one day in April I was transcribing a report that sounded like everything I had so I pulled up a chart online for trigger points and I pressed on all of them and they all hurt. Needless to say, the rheumy confirmed my diagnosis. But answer to your question, I guess once you start developing FM symptoms, everyone is different and they can all come on very quickly. I would like my old life back as I am 41 and not used to having all these limitations. I hope you feel better.
  3. dragon06

dragon06 New Member

Some people have FM progress and some people don't. Both myself and my mom had progressive. In the beginning it seemed to progress very fast for my mom and she has kind of plateau'd out now (with a few flares here and there) after 24 years with it.

I have basically had it my whole life. It has progressed at a moderate pace throughout my child, teen and beginning adult years. Then after a gall bladder problem it began to progress really fast for about 4.5 years. Now it has kind of slowed down, but has not completely stopped progressing.

I am getting more then adequate treatment for my illnesses and I think that has made a big difference on how it progresses...left untreated I imagine it would start to progress very fast again.
  4. FMsaddenedspirit

have one more question on this .. my daughter is asking if .. I have this do I pass it on to her.. she has had chronic pain issues since she became a teenager.. and tummy problems and such .. do we pass this to our children

The Doctors can not figure out whats wrong with her , and we have been to them for years now, thinking I may need to advise her to get checked for FM aslo

advise ?

and thanks for the reponding every body .. :)

5. dragon06

dragon06 New Member

It is starting to be thought that it can be passed on through genetics. There are lots of stories of many people in the same family having FM. So it probably is a possibility that it could be passed on although this is not a proven fact yet.

It would not hurt to get her checked out for FM.
  6. FMsaddenedspirit

Thank you

I think we will have her checked out also.

I see my Doc today, I have a note book . with all my questions and symtoms so I don't forget anything today
    as the last two vists I feel where a wast of time, I get home and remember things i forgot to ask or say .

Thanks again .... hope today is a good day for you

7. ikathy

ikathy New Member

Hi - I asked my rheumy that exact question when I saw her last. I was concerned about it because my fibro symptons have been getting so bad at times.

She told me that FM pain can increase in intensity depending on the weather, sleep issues, diet, exercise regime or/or lack of it (she is one that also pushed exercise but never really gives me any guidelines). It is important that we get our perpetuating factors under control whatever they may be.

She assured me that FM will not cause any organ damage. You will not die from FM.

The increase in pain should be your wake-up call to modify your FM treatment plan. It is unfortunate that so much of the work of managing our symptoms fall on the paitients' shoulders. Why can't the doctors just give us a pill (with no side effects) that make it all go away?

I've just started guai about a month ago and hoping that it makes a differece.

8. cordy250

cordy250 Member

I think it is very important not to give in to this disease. I feel you should never give up the fight to find things that will ease your symptoms. You should also try to keep your body in as good shape as possible for when you might be feeling better.

It does seem to wax and wane in some people. Just because it seems to progress fast does not mean that it will continue to progress, nor will it necessarily remain in one place. You can have reversals if you find something that helps you in the way of meds or supplements.

There will probably be times that all you can do is sit on the edge of your bed and cry, I know that has been the case for me. But do not dwell there. Keep trying, keep fighting, keep asking questions and getting advice.

It won't be easy, but try to think of those with diseases that will kill them and have no way to fight them or,as in the case of cancer, the treatments are so horribly debilitating.

The good thing about this disease is that it doesn't kill. Where there is life, there is always hope. Never, ever give up.
  9. FMsaddenedspirit

I have a question I hope you get this ..
    you said you started Guai a month ago.. what is this ?

I went to my Doc Apt. My daughter went with me.. Doc said we better make her an Apt and get her checked for FM ,

also I'm so glad she went with me.. I thought she was going to rip into my Doc for a few min there.. My Doc was not listing to me. and shrugging every thing of as FM .. Finally got her to agree on doing some lab's Geezz. why don't they listen...
    I wish my family doc could treat me.. he at least listens to me and seems to really care.
    they are sending me to a pain Doc , might do some Diff kind of injections in my neck .. and also said I need stronger pain meds. as the Perc just don't last kinda scary going on the stronger meds. But I guess if it helps me.

anyway thanks again for responding to me .
  10. FMsaddenedspirit

Thank you so very much for your responce :)

I Know what I'll be researching tomorrw morning !

I get time first thing during my work shift ( I work from home on my computer ) to research things. I have been doing a lot of research since i found this board.

You all are a great help, I'm glad i found this place , what a great support group

I prob have more questions as I go..

Thanks again for the info

Have a good night ...
  11. SerenityPheonix

SerenityPheonix New Member

I have found that it is so very different from person to person. I myself have not had progression. I started with the headaches, back spasms, neck tension as well as aches in my upper arms and upper legs. When I have a flare however it doesnt seem to hurt any more or less, but I get hit with monster fatigue that can pass me out for 24 hours or more. Its a tricky one to get diagnosed because it mimics so many other things. This is why blood work is done to rule things out one by one. If everything else appears ok in blood work, then you are finally left with a diagnoses of fibro or cfs.

Genetically speaking for your other daughter was diagnosed recently shortly after me..shes only 17, but now that I look back at it, she had symptoms most of her life. We were told it is genetically passed on...not always though. All you can do is watch, wait and see with your daughter...I hope she doesnt have it.

Sunflower said something about cold hands and feet too. My daughter has those symptoms too, but was diagnosed with Raynauds Syndrome...a circulatory disease that prevents proper blood flow to the extremities(hands and feet). A person with this has to be careful to avoid too cold or too hot situations because it can cause a frostbite like condition. I dont know if its related to fibro or cfs, but seems to happen to a lot of us.

I will keep you and your daughter in my thoughts and prayers.