Question about joint pain.....Please Help!!

Discussion in 'Fibromyalgia Main Forum' started by Cricket_23, Oct 2, 2002.

1. Cricket_23

Cricket_23 New Member

I know people with Fibromyalgia can suffer from joint pain, but my question is how much? I have such horrible pain in almost all my joints. It gets worse at night and even wakes me up it is so bad. Sometimes I can barely move my arms or legs because either my elbows, shoulders, or knees hurt so bad. I was just wondering if maybe it was more rheumatoid arthritis or is this a normal thing for fibromyalgia? My joints also swell up sometimes (not all the time) and get red and warm. Sometimes my hands will hurt so bad I can hardly use them and my middle finger on my left hand even curls and I can't straighten it while it is sore. Does anyone else have any of these problems? If so, what do you do to help you? I don't know how much more of this I can take.

Cricket :)
  2. Cricket_23

Cricket_23 New Member

I know people with Fibromyalgia can suffer from joint pain, but my question is how much? I have such horrible pain in almost all my joints. It gets worse at night and even wakes me up it is so bad. Sometimes I can barely move my arms or legs because either my elbows, shoulders, or knees hurt so bad. I was just wondering if maybe it was more rheumatoid arthritis or is this a normal thing for fibromyalgia? My joints also swell up sometimes (not all the time) and get red and warm. Sometimes my hands will hurt so bad I can hardly use them and my middle finger on my left hand even curls and I can't straighten it while it is sore. Does anyone else have any of these problems? If so, what do you do to help you? I don't know how much more of this I can take.

3. diricha

diricha New Member

Swelling, redness, and warmth in the joints are definite symptoms of RA. Definitely see your doctor.

Well Wishes to you : )
  4. sean

sean New Member

I have had it really bad, I don't mind saying it frightened the life out of me. Doctor thought it was polyarthritis, and it could be, but it's funny how it calmed down after a few weeks. This is what I did, I stopped taking the the anti inflammatory tablets I was on because of the possible side effects, and I avoided certain foods as they cause a flare up of the condition. I believe it was just a very bad flare up of fibro in my case, but there is a possibility that you could have polyarthritis, in fact it is believed that one of the causes of onset of fibromyalgia, is Rheumatoid arthritis, polyarthritis is just RA in multiple joints. I Still get migrating joint pains but they are much les frequent and severe.
  5. Mikie

Mikie Moderator

However, it can coexist with other conditions which are inflammatory like RA, PR, Lupus, and Gout. I would see the doc. If it turns out to be Polymyalgia Rheumatica, a test needs to be done to prevent blindness. I'm not trying to scare you, but any new and unusual condition needs to be checked out.

Love, Mikie
  6. Cricket_23

Cricket_23 New Member

On my first visit (before the redness, swelling, and warmth but I did have bad joint pain) he told me that he thought it might be either Fibromyalgia, Rheumatoid Arthritis, or both. The next visit after I didn't get relief from prednisone, he said it sounded more like fibromyalgia. Then I went in one day because I noticed my joints were warm and red. He told me that that is not enough to say that it is RA for sure. But I thought that fibro didn't cause redness and warmth. I am just so confused and would like to know what is wrong with me so I can get some relief.

Sean, what is polyarthritis?

Thanks everyone very much for replying.

7. blondieangel

blondieangel New Member

I have been tested for EVERYTHING. Do NOT have arthritis. Tested twice by dif. docs.

I suffer from horrible joint pain!!! I take prescribed pain meds every 2 hours but am always in pain, have a headache.

My fingers are so swollen and painful I sometimes am unable to hold a cup in the morning. Once in a while the swelling goes down, then my wedding ring falls off due to weight loss from pain.

I am unable to bend at the kness w/o it feeling like my legs will snap off! All my joints hurt - my whole body hurts!I don't even carry my purse - my husband has too!

It's all FM.

It even hurts my knucles/hand to push the mouse around. The less I bend, the better!!!
  8. Cricket_23

Cricket_23 New Member

How long have you had the joint pain? Do you have any redness or warmth? Sometimes its like my hands don't work right because they hurt so bad. At night it gets so much worse. When I try to pull the covers over me I almost start crying it hurts so bad. I feel like the covers weigh 200 lbs because it is so hard for me to move them. On bad days I can't bend down either because of my knees. It is really hard to walk when your knees hurt so bad too. It is really embarassing because sometimes I have to walk funny just to keep from making the pain even worse. I am in college and have to do a lot of walking so it is hard. What pain pills do you take. I haven't found anything that helps my joint pain. Haven't some people with arthritis had thier tests shown up normal when they DO in fact have arthritis? I know how you feel to have to have your husband carry your purse. Sometimes I can't even dress myself, I have to have my boyfriend help me. I feel so helpless.

[This Message was Edited on 10/03/2002]
  9. herblady

herblady New Member

i have really bad joint pain and i have palindromic rheumatism and arthritis on top of the fm. you might want to get it check further. cindi

[ advertisement ]