question about leg pain

Discussion in 'Fibromyalgia Main Forum' started by eeyoreblue02, Apr 16, 2006.

1. eeyoreblue02

eeyoreblue02 Member

When I lay on my side at night to sleep or during the day for rest, when I get up my hip that I was laying on and also the knee hurt SOOOOO bad. I guess it's like a pressure point.

Do any of you have this and how have you managed it? Would a better mattress or mattress topper help?

Even if I fall asleep on my back I tend to roll over on my side in my sleep.

All help is appreciated.

Linda
  2. Nikki

Nikki Member

I use a Cuddle Ewe mattress cover and a soft pillow between my legs when I go to bed. It helps me w/the knee & hip pain.

Hugs,
    Nikki
  3. srh

srh New Member

I have always had pain the worst below my waste. I used to buy the egg crate mattress toppers and had to get a new one about every month. They didn't look squashed or anything, i could just tell.
    My hips, legs and feet would bother me worse. I have such pain in my feet that I have to sleep on my stomach or side, usually stomach b/c that makes them feel better.
    We bought a memory foam just before Xmas last year and it works alot better, but I have been so bad lately, I wonder if it is not working also now.??
  4. eeyoreblue02

eeyoreblue02 Member

Money is kinda tight right now so a mattress topper is more along my budget than a brand new mattress.

Nikki, I have looked at the cuddle ewe. Does it seem to make a huge difference? Do you also have the pillow that comes with it? How can you get sheets to fit?

srh, did you get the memory foam mattress or topper? I've always wondered if the topper would slide off the bed.

Thanks,

Linda
  5. pemaw54

pemaw54 New Member

I sleep on my left side with a pillow between my knees. The severe pain will wake me up and its my right leg, which is on top. Very strange to me. I can turn over to the right side and the pain will stop. We have a posturepedic mattress with a pillow top under the fabric. This disease never stops amazing me with what terrible thing is going to happen next.

Suzette
  6. srh

srh New Member

The egg crate always slid on my husband's side he apparently rolls alot. But I never noticed it on my side. You could probably make duct tape into double sided tape and that would help.

The memory foam has never slid around, although it was a little more pricey, it's lasted longer though. I got mine at Sam's Club.
    Walmart and I'm sure other discount chains have them now also.
    Good luck.
  7. eeyoreblue02

eeyoreblue02 Member

for your responses. Have any of you seen the viscolux mattress topper sold through BrylaneHome Catalog? It is supposed to relieve pressure points and I'm considering it. The price is reasonable.

Linda
  8. tandy

tandy New Member

Yes,..I get that pain exactly.
    Whatever side I'm laying on gets very achy in the hip area and even my knees touching together makes my innner kneecaps hurt like heck!!
    I recently mentioned this to my Rhuemy. and he said its a common 'pain syndrome' assoiciated with Fibro. He said if it continues to be bothersome he can try me on some type of pain patch.
    (??? not sure what kind exactly) But I don't see this pain going away. It happens every night/morning.(during the night too)

Sometimes a pillow inside my knees helps some.
    I have a regular foam mattress topper and it does help more than being without one. But I'm still getting this pain,...I guess just not as bad.
    I know how ya feel.
    Hope your pain eases up and you rest well~
    Hugs
    Tandy
  9. maripat

maripat New Member

The only thing that has helped me is learning to sleep on my back.
    It was a matter of retraining my body by using heavy cushions and pillows to keep me from rolling over, put a bolster under my knees and a small roll type for under my neck for support. I also have RLS so I really do understand.
    My husband calls me the pillow queen, since I seem to have a pillow for every need.
    maripat
  10. eeyoreblue02

eeyoreblue02 Member

it helps to know that we're all in this together. It is so good to have someone say, "I know just what you mean."

I have a buckwheat pillow. Tonight I'm going to try to put it between my knees. Or maybe i'll try to stay on my back and put a pillow under my knees that way.

I placed an order for the viscolux mattress topper. The regular price is $140 (queen size). BrylaneHome has it cheaper. I got it 30%off their price so my cost was $53 plus shipping. Big discount! Plus, I have 90 days to pay for it and if I don't like it I can return it for a full refund in 90 days. After 90 days I can return it for a credit.

I figured I couldn't beat that. Look on the BrylaneHome.com website and see what you think. They also have other mattress toppers. It is my hope this will work.

Thanks for all the suggestions. FM has so many "symptoms" and I am so sick and tired of discovering new ones.

You guys are great. I'll post to let everyone know what I think about the mattress topper. Supposed to be here in 10 days. I was real hesitant to tell my husband because he is resistant to change. It might make him sleep better too. He tosses and turns a lot.

thanks again,

Linda :eek:)