Question about lexapro

Discussion in 'Fibromyalgia Main Forum' started by kriket, Aug 14, 2006.

1. kriket

kriket New Member

My b/f started taking lexapro a few weeks ago and his jaws are hurting and feeling like they are trying to lock up. Has anyone here had a similar experience with this anti-depressant?

I was worried about his heart, but it all started right after he started taking the lexapro, so I am thinking it is a side-effect of it.

Kriket
  2. Kathleen12

Kathleen12 New Member

I have been taking Lexapro for a little over a month now and have noticed that I do get strange sensations in my jaw, but never related it to the Lexapro till now. It doesn't happen often, but it does feel weird when it does.
    May be a side-effect.
  3. mrdad

mrdad New Member

I've been on 10mg of Lexapro for a couple of mos. now

as a reuptake inhibitor. Have not had any problem with

it at all. Doesn't mean of course that other people would

not. Hope he can figure things out. May not have anything

to do with the meds. (??)

Bye 4 Now,
    MRDAD
  4. lenasvn

lenasvn New Member

What exacly are the symptoms on his heart? Please respond as soon as you read this.

Hugs!
  5. kriket

kriket New Member

Well, his blood pressure has been yoyoing. and it has been rather high at times. He is under a LOT of unusual stress at this time. I have always heard that an aching jaw could be a sign of heart attack right?

Kriket
  6. Scapper

Scapper New Member

I took lexapro for a while. It did cause me to clench my jaw and I wasn't even aware that I was even doing it until I started to have jaw pain and dull headaches in my temples. He might be clenching in his sleep.

I believe that pain in the left side only is a sign of heart problems. If it radiates into the left arm, this is a sign to get help!

If his pain is equal on both sides and you suspect clenching, he may want to try a mouth guard to prevent him from clenching in his sleep. It really helped me.

scapper
  7. kriket

kriket New Member

Yea. He says he wakes up clenching his jaws really tight, but sometimes he catches himself doing it and is unaware of it. The jaw pain did not start till after he started taking the lexapro.
    The pain is mostly on the right side, he says.

Kriket
    [This Message was Edited on 08/14/2006]
  8. lenasvn

lenasvn New Member

I would'nt connect the jaw pain with cardiac issues.

Here are some cardiac reactions to Lexapro reported by those who suffered side effects. You can find these and other side effects to SSRI's on http://www.prozactruth.com/lexapro_side_effects.htm

If his blood pressure goes up, he needs to get BP meds. It is probably a side effect of the medication he is taking. Anyways, here it goes:

Lexapro Palpitation - Unusual and not normal heartbeat, that is sometimes irregular, but rapid and forceful thumping or fluttering. It can be brought on by shock, excitement, exertion, or medical stimulants. A person is normally unaware of his/her heartbeat.

Lexapro Hypertension - is high blood pressure, which is a symptom of disease in the blood vessels leading away from the heart. Hypertension is known as the “silent killer”. The symptoms are usually not obvious, however it can lead to damage to the heart, brain, kidneys and eye, and even to stroke and kidney failure. Treatment includes dietary and lifestyle changes.

Lexapro Bradycardia - The heart rate is slowed from 72 beats per minute, which is normal, to below 60 beats per minute in an adult.

Lexapro Tachycardia - The heart rate is speeded up to above 100 beats per minute in an adult. Normal adult heart rate is 72 beats per minute.

Lexapro ECG Abnormal - A test called an electrocardiogram (ECG) that records the activity of the heart. It measures heartbeats as will as the position and size of the heart’s four chambers. It also measures if there is damage to the heart and the effects of drugs or mechanical devices like a pacemaker on the heart. When the test is abnormal this means that one or more of the following are present: heart disease, defects, beating too fast or too slow, disease of the blood vessels leading from the heart or of the heart valves, and/or a past or about to occur heart attack.

Lexapro Flushing - The skin all over the body turns red.

Lexapro Varicose Vein - Unusually swollen veins near the surface of the skin that sometimes appear twisted and knotted, but always enlarged. They are called hemorrhoids when they appear around the rectum. The cause is attributed to hereditary weakness in the veins aggravated by obesity, pregnancy, pressure from standing, aging, etc. Severe cases may develop swelling in the legs, ankles and feet, eczema and/or ulcers in the affected areas.

How long did he take this medication? If he is one of those who can tolerate and benefit from this type of medication, the side effects may go away after a few weeks.

(((HUGS)))
  9. kriket

kriket New Member

Thanks. I think it is the medication. (LEXAPRO)

Kriket
    [This Message was Edited on 08/14/2006]
  10. Scapper

Scapper New Member

If the jaw clenching is the only bad reaction, try the mouth guard while sleeping -- it helps!

scapper
  11. singingirl

singingirl New Member

I have been on Lexapro for 6 months now, and I haven't had any side effects except night sweats. I haven't even gained weight. My daugher is also on it with no side effects. Thank the Lord

[ advertisement ]