question about light therapy

Discussion in 'Fibromyalgia Main Forum' started by loto, Dec 15, 2009.

1. loto

loto Member

Hi.
    Not too long ago, there was a post about light therapy, but of course I've forgotten the info.

My questions are:
    Does anyone have their own light therapy machine/how much do they cost?
    How long and how many times a day do you use it?
    Is it worth the cost?

Thanks!
    loto
  2. victoria

victoria New Member

Light therapy to me seems less risky and definitely more 'natural' ... but just my humble opinion.

10,000 luxe is what's normally required, you don't even need full-spectrum apparently tho there's some discussion as to that as well. But if you google it, you can build a box yourself with either full spectrum or other bulb...

here's one plan to build one that wouldn't seem to require a lot of money:
    http://blog.makezine.com/archive/2008/12/a_lightbox_built_with_love.html?CMP=OTC-0D6B48984890

and here's an interesting article about how much sun to get vit D etc:
    http://www.vitamindcouncil.org/vitaminDToxicity.shtml

all the best,
    Victoria

[This Message was Edited on 12/15/2009]
    [This Message was Edited on 12/15/2009]
  3. lukro

lukro Member

Are you looking for light for SAD or to boost your vitamin d level? These are two different things that require two different lights.
  4. gapsych

gapsych New Member

I have a Phillips goLite. I don't use it for SAD so much as to get my circadian rhythms straightened out in the winter. It also gives me a bit of extra energy.

Mine is portable, the blue light which is suppose to be more effective and cost about $149. It comes in a cute little case.

Unless you have a deficiency, you do not need extra vitamin D and too much can be harmful.

So if you want it for your circadian rhythms, SAD, I would highly recommend this light.

I am not sure the light increases your vitamin D level, but maybe someone else does.

gap

ETA I bumped up my original post.[This Message was Edited on 12/15/2009]
  5. loto

loto Member

Gap--I think my vit D is ok. It was last time I had it checked, which was within 6 months.
    During warm seasons, I get a lot of sunshine. It just makes me feel better, so I guess I'd want to try light therapy for SAD.

Just needing more therapy of some kind. Take enough meds, wanting to try something natural.

Thanks for all of your replies. I am definitely going to check out the site for building my own.

lori