Question about Long Term Disability

Discussion in 'Fibromyalgia Main Forum' started by Rosetta, Oct 16, 2002.

1. Rosetta

Rosetta New Member

When I was denied my Long Term Disability, I asked them (Prudential Insurance) what %of FM clams are approved and they said they did not have to give me this information. I just wanted to know what I was up against. After all if it was 0 then I knew I was wasting my time. Has anyone else asked their LTD carrier this question and if so did they answer?

I have email letter to all of my government officials and have had several responses including a phone call. What they told me was to get the media involved. Write letters to the newspaper and anyone else that will listen. Letting others know how difficult LTD benefits are to get will be helpful in others deciding wheather the want to keep or drop their policies.

He said that every time a new law is written that would help (making the insurances compaines accountable for their actions), the insurance lobbist take over to get it defeated. I told him I did not have the strength to keep fighting. Writing one letter and emailing to everyone required all the energy that I had.
  2. Rosetta

Rosetta New Member

When I was denied my Long Term Disability, I asked them (Prudential Insurance) what %of FM clams are approved and they said they did not have to give me this information. I just wanted to know what I was up against. After all if it was 0 then I knew I was wasting my time. Has anyone else asked their LTD carrier this question and if so did they answer?

I have email letter to all of my government officials and have had several responses including a phone call. What they told me was to get the media involved. Write letters to the newspaper and anyone else that will listen. Letting others know how difficult LTD benefits are to get will be helpful in others deciding wheather the want to keep or drop their policies.

He said that every time a new law is written that would help (making the insurances compaines accountable for their actions), the insurance lobbist take over to get it defeated. I told him I did not have the strength to keep fighting. Writing one letter and emailing to everyone required all the energy that I had.
  3. Rene

Rene New Member

They HAVE to tell you why IN WRITING exactly why you are being denied. You may have to request that in writing to them. You can call your insurance commissioner too. You can ask them to put in writing exactly what they need to make your claim right. got the tips from wecan insurance committee on the net.

Also a good idea is to check out your medical records to see whats been written. If you have been to the ins "objective doctors" you can make the LTD co send the outside opinion dr notes to your dr and then check your record out. There was a show on dateline the other day and this guy was a quad and his dr sent the xrays ect and the LTD cancelled him too. The also had drs and workers from the LTD ins company who said they lied in the medical reports on purpose to get rid of claimants cause they were told to by their bosses. SICK huh!!
    Good Luck.
  4. nfaith

nfaith New Member

I was dignosed last year, fortunatly my symptoms got better and I was able to return to work. In May of this year I was bowled over with FM and could not work. I had a short term disability insurance(VPA)who harresed me at every opportunity. They would not pay because their doctors,who had never seen me said I was not sick. In Calif. if your employer is self insured(you have the choice to take your companies disability insurance or State Disability) you can not go to the insurance commissioner. You must go through the Labor Dept. I was told by the labor dept."so if you don't like it sue". There are no watchdogs over companies who are self insured and you are at their mercy(Calif.) Companies hire firms to handle the insurance. They then claim they have no control over what they do, "RIGHT", the firm works for the company. If you are working in Calif and your company is self insured think twice before you take their insurance. The majority of companies do not have your best interest at heart. Bonnie Nixon