Question About "Lorazepam"; Anyone Take?

Discussion in 'Fibromyalgia Main Forum' started by BlueSky555, Nov 8, 2006.

1. BlueSky555

BlueSky555 New Member

Hi All,

I haven't been on long each day; just haven't felt like sitting long at the time but I want you all to know that I hope we're still friends. I feel bad but try to respond to 1 or 2 posts each time I sign on.

My question is, has anyone tried lorazepam? I was on Ambien 10 and was doing ok but still not sleeping over 6 hours so Dr. wanted to try this.

Anyone take and any advice?

Thank you all so much,

BlueSky555
  2. Aeronsmom

Aeronsmom New Member

I have been on lorazepam and it worked wonders for me, it knocked me out when I needed it. I was able to sleep a good 8 hours on it. Give it a try.

love to all, Ann
  3. happycanuk

happycanuk New Member

I used to take it and it worked well. Just haven't needed it so much in the past couple of years.
  4. butterfly83

butterfly83 New Member

I only take it as needed now, but i took it regularly when I was younger for a seizure disorder.

It works well at making you feel calm at the least, and sleepy at the most. You might feel a few after effects in the morning, but I found that once I took it regularly, those morning-after feelings went away.

It's a viable medicine, and my doctor says its one with very few side effects. He says it stays in your blood stream for just a limited amount of time, so there hasn't been any damage reported from taking it.

So give it a try! I hope it works for you :)
  5. GBHope

GBHope New Member

Read your other post, I commented about this med too. It's a great med in my opinion for my body chemistry and what the one person said about the morning slight tiredness going away over time was correct too.

GBHope
  6. BlueSky555

BlueSky555 New Member

For responding to my post. I'm so happy to get the quick responses so far.

I think I'll try this and also the skelaxin and maybe I won't be so sore in the mornings. It's very much worth a try.

I think peacebaby posted something about morning soreness.

I'm not sure if I responded to the post but I'll look back and see.

Thank you, friends,

BlueSky555
  7. MsE

MsE New Member

I have used a small amount daily for many years. It helps with dizziness, spaciness, and concentration problems.
  8. beeleaf

beeleaf New Member

It's not a sleeping pill, but the anti anxiety effect can help your body think sleeping is a good idea. ;~)

I started taking it a few years ago to counteract the long term effects of high bronchodilator use. Medicine to treat other medicine. Gotta breathe. May as well sleep, too. har
  9. Susi-di

Susi-di New Member

Yes I took lorazepam for severe anxiety, it was very calming and relaxed me, & it was a godsend for my anxiety. I only take it on rare occasion now, but used to take a tab twice a day. susi-di
  10. Liz919

Liz919 New Member

Ohhh my sweet sweet generic ativan how I loooove thee. I have severe panic attacks (ie spending the night in the closet because it's the only place that feels "safe" in the least) occasionally and this is my little miracle pill. However I've never taken it for sleep. I don't know if it's just a different dosage or something but personally I had no strange side effects or anything and for me that's a miracle in and of itself. Hope it works for you the way you want it to!
  11. kat-E

kat-E New Member

I was on a low dose, when I added it to Soma it seemed to knock me out for at least 6 hours, but not much longer than that, on a bad night...

It tends to make me a bit depressed if I take it for more than a few days in a row.

It is worth a try... It is easy to be come dependent on it, you probably don't want to take it every night, just so you don't build up a tolerance to it.

Good luck
  12. KittyCat

KittyCat New Member

My doctor also initially prescribed Ambien for me, but I hated the side effects (extremely groggy and foggy feeling). Also, I would fall asleep, but not stay asleep. Then he prescribed the Lorazepam, and it works great for me. Thus far I've had no side effects, and I fall asleep pretty quickly and stay asleep throughout the night most of the time. I take one 1mg. tablet before I go to bed and I start getting very sleepy in less than half-an-hour.
  13. Liz919

Liz919 New Member

I'm so sorry that's happening to you. I don't really understand because my doctor just handed over a full month perscription with multiple refills. On the other hand she was a miser with the Ambien. Hope you feel better and get the care and medication you need!
  14. stevie10959

stevie10959 New Member

I have been on ativan for about 5 years now and it works great I have an anxiety disorder that was misdiagnosed for years with doctors putting me on antidepressants which worked in reverse..When I was finally dx with anxiety and not depression I was origianly put on zanax which after taking the highest dosage 3 times per day for almost 2 years became a zombie....Finally I found a different doctor. After I cleared my system of the zanax which was like coming off heroin I was put on antidepressants which did not work I found a wonderful doctor who dx me anxiety and not depression he put me on the ativan and I take 2 a day it has changed my life...I had also taken ambien for sleep which did nothing..I have been on restirol for sleep which works for me and I dont feel groggy in the morning!! Hope this helps..
    Christina
    [This Message was Edited on 11/09/2006]
  15. Mini4Me

Mini4Me New Member

I take 3 before bedtime, and next thing I know, it's morning and I've slept like a baby. Didn't know they could be addictive. Hmmmmm, seems like whenever a med actually works, they restrict it and say it's addictive!
    Mini
  16. SusanEU

SusanEU New Member

I have been on a low dose (o.5 mg) one or two at night and it is the only thing that helps me sleep.

Sometimes I also take one during the day if I feel particularily anxious and it doesn't make me feel groggy at all, which is weird, I know.

Great, inexpensive med.

Sue in Ontario
  17. Marta608

Marta608 Member

... if this med can be taken with Restoril or other benzos? I'm trying to get off Restoril but need another something to take it's place. The doc gave me a script for Xanax to take to try to eaaaaaase off the Restoril but so far it's not helping much. I'm taking them both which she definitely doesn't want me to do.

Thanks.

Marta
  18. BlueSky555

BlueSky555 New Member

marta, I haven't taken restoril so I can't help you there. Maybe someone who reads this post can help.

I want to thank ALL of you for responding to this post and oh, such wonderful information.

I've had these for almost 2 weeks and haven't even taken any. I had been on ambien but it seems to have done the opposite lately; I woke up this morning at 3:30 and that was it. I was so fidgity, I had to get up. I'm just not getting enough sleep.

However, I tried a half of a skelaxin, 800 mg, took 400 mg and it knocked me out like a light this afternoon. I tried several times to wake up and sitting here in the chair had a difficult time. (This may be the trick for some sleep at night:)

Anyway, I'm going to try the lorazepam. Maybe I'll try both as GBHope suggested. After all, I know the skelaxin worked; hopefully the lorazepam will also.

Again, thank you all so much,

BlueSky555
  19. GBHope

GBHope New Member

Just start off slowly. Good luck and let us know.

GBHope