Question about Lyme & Antibotics?

Discussion in 'Fibromyalgia Main Forum' started by Maribelle, Dec 30, 2010.

1. Maribelle

Maribelle New Member

I have been sick with FM for several years. I am not getting better. I once went to a dr to see if I might have lyme disease. I use to go hiking, camping and even built a cabin in the deep woods of OK. I once got sick with what seemed like the flu after a trip to the woods. I went to a doc in the box and he found a tick embedded in the back of my scalp at the hairline. He gave me antibotics and that was that.

Now, my question is: If lyme is not necessarily diagnosed by lab tests but by history, symptoms, etc....then if I start on all the anitbotics one needs to take to treat it. How would that affect my health? Can antibotics hurt you if you don't have lyme?

I went to a lyme dr about 5 years ago and he wanted to put me on all of these meds
    for the possibility of lyme. I got scared of the amount of anti meds that I didn't go back. I also could not afford the lab tests he recommended. It was roughly $350. Now, I really can't afford it! I had to close my business due to my health and am currently looking for something to do part-time.

I would like to save for these tests and try again but wanted some feedback on what others on this board think. I don't want to make myself sicker if it isn't lyme.

Scared and worried,

2. Nanie46

Nanie46 Moderator

A flu-like illness after being in the woods + am embedded tick likely= Lyme disease that was undertreated and became chronic. FM is a lyme symptom.

You also may have other tick borne coinfections often found in lyme patients.

Of course you could say there are risks with taking antibiotics, but I would rather take proper precautions, like lots of probiotics, than be chronically infected with the most complex spirochete that exists that can make you very, very ill, can disable you and kill you.

If you had TB or cancer would you think twice about treating it? Probably not. Lyme is very serious.

You can get an Igenex western blot IgG and IgM for $200 unless the price has gone up. Test #188 and #189. You need a Dr order.

Please read this..

Now I urge you to go to on flash discussion....sign up for on the Medical Questions posts and create posts asking your questions....lots of people there to help you also.

Lymenet also has a Seeking a Doctor board you can post on asking for a LLMD (lyme literate MD) in your state.

I know it can be costly, but you really cannot afford to do nothing or your health will just get worse.
  3. TigerLilea

TigerLilea Active Member

$350 is a lot of money, however, how much has it cost you to be sick all these years?? As you have been found to have a tick embedded in the back of your scalp it would be worth going into debt to have the testing. The only way to know for sure is to get tested.
  4. Nanie46

Nanie46 Moderator

It is very important for you to know that testing is unreliable and should never be used to rule out lyme.

Lyme is a clinical diagnosis....based on history, symptoms, exam.

Anyone who thinks a negative lyme test rules out lyme is wrong, and will likely remain sick forever.

That is why you should see a Lyme literate MD who is knowledgable of lyme and can properly evaluate you.