Question about lyme testing

Discussion in 'Lyme Disease Archives' started by PrincessAndi18, Apr 9, 2008.

  1. PrincessAndi18

    PrincessAndi18 New Member

    I had a positive lyme titer test....but only one of my bands was positive, while my doctor said that two would have to be positive?? My doctor has not been helpful at all, has not explained anything....but from what he is saying, I am assuming that the Western Blot was done, and that is what he is referring to by the bands?? But what I want to know is, even if only one "band" was positive, is it still possible for me to have lyme disease because I the lyme titer was positive? Is there further testing that could be done??
  2. victoria

    victoria New Member

    It's a clinical diagnosis really, often the WB won't be positive until you've taken abx for a couple of weeks then stopped; and anyway, the best test, the western blot done by iGenex specifically, only has at best a 70% reliability rate...

    You might want to read the informational posts here about how to read the WB, about testing, general info... plus other places to go to read up on it all, even how to get a referral to a LLMD (lyme literate MD); we've got lots of info here if you scan the posts!

    Sadly, most standard docs do not know anything about lyme &/or its co-infections...

    all the best,
    Victoria


    [This Message was Edited on 04/10/2008]
  3. bunnyfluff

    bunnyfluff Member

    bands like 31, 34, & 41 are ONLY Lyme disease!

    Can you give us some info from your test results??

    info from my other post:




    I know that many of you have tested negative on the standard Quest Lyme tests, and don't see the point in spending the extra $$ on Igenex, or understand how the 2 tests vary. I have recently had tthem done, and my LLMD was kind enuf to explain in depth the tests, as well as the results. Here is what I have learned:

    Lyme IgG Western Blot shows and old, or chronic infection. IgM shows new infection.

    Quest testing leaves out the 2 most specific bands: #31 & #34. These bands are SO SPECIFIC to Lyme, the first human Lyme vaccine was made from #31, and the 2nd from #34!! These very important bands are NOT REPORTED in standard commercial Lyme tests!

    Laboratories that use FDA approved kits are RESRICTED from reporting all of these bands, as they must abide by the rules of he manufacturer. These rules are set up in accordance wih the CDC's surveillance criteria, and inrease the risk of false negative resuls.

    The little ++ indicates the amount of reaction. Each + counts for 10% probability that you have Lyme. So, when you count your + signs, you can have 9, or 90%, and the CDC will give a neg. result because it has to be 100% for that to pass their "standard" for "surveillance".

    Here are the bands explained:



    If the patient is highly symptomatic of Lyme, there is actually no point in doing the ELISA or EIA serum tests, as they do not have the sensitivity or specificity of the Western Blot that is needed to have a prayer of detecting Borrelia burgdorferi (Bb), the organism that causes Lyme disease.


    Contrary to what many insurance companies believe, the IgG and IgM Western Blot for Lyme disease are not the same test. Some companies will deny one and pay the other, claiming they are the same test or duplicative of one another. IgG and IgM are two completely different antibodies.

    IgM antibodies are the first antibodies to be produced in the body in response to an infection, and is produced in great quantity. IgM antibodies are large, up to six times larger than the IgG antibodies. IgM antibodies, when present in high numbers, represent a new active infection or an existing infection that has become reactivated. Over time, the number of IgM antibodies will decline as the active infection is resolved.

    IgG antibodies are produced once an infection has been going on for a while, and may be present after the infection has been resolved. Generally speaking, the presence of IgG antibodies to an organism when accompanied by a negative IgM test for the same organism means that the person was exposed to that organism at one time and developed antibodies to it, but does not have a current active infection of that organism. When it comes to Borrelia burgdorferi (Bb), the organism responsible for Lyme disease, that is not necessarily the case.

    To recap, depending on the numbers,

    IgM is a sign of a current infection.
    IgG is a sign of a current infection, or of a past exposure to or past infection by the organism.
    Bb can hide in the brain and cerebral spinal fluid (CSF) and by altering its surface proteins, can remain invisible to the immune system for a long period of time. Once the immune system figures out what it is and starts making antibodies to it, it shifts is surface proteins once again, fooling the body into thinking the infection is over.

    Bb can also turn itself into undetectable cysts and various other forms (called L-forms) which also help it elude the immune system. If the immune system can't see it, the immune system can't make and, or only insufficient antibodies, which all contribute towards making the organism impossible to detect by any testing methodology, including WB. Thus, blood and urine tests for Bb can be negative, even if the patient is "challenged" by being given high dose injections of antibiotics to try to trigger a reaction from or partial die-off of Bb that will cause it to show up in the blood or urine.






    Band IgG
    IgM
    Band Definition

    18 kDa.#
    . p18 flagellin fragment
    22 kDa . . Immunogenic integral membrane lipoproteins. Cross-reactive with other spirochetes/bacteria. Depending on source, may be specific for Bb or cross-reactive. [Coleman]
    23-25 kDa @ # @ # OspC. 25 kDa is specific for Bb
    28 kDa .# . OspD, Oms28. Specific for Bb
    30 kDa # . OspA substrate binding protein
    31 kDa @ @ OspA
    34 kDa @ @ OspB. Specific for Bb
    37 kDa .. .. p37, FlaA gene product. Specific for Bb
    39 kDa @ # @ # BmpA. Specific for Bb
    41 kDa
    @ # @ # FlaB
    45 kDa .# . [Flisiak]; appears for HGE [Ravyn]
    58 kDa # . .
    66 kDa # . p66 Oms66 Hsp outer/integral membrane protein
    73 kDa ... ... .
    83 kDa .. .. p83 high molecular mass protein. Specific for Bb
    93 kDa @ # # an immunodominant protoplasmic cylinder antigen, associated with the flagellum. Specific for Bb

    Abbreviations:
    Bb Borrelia burgdorferi
    Bmp Bacterial membrane protein
    Fla Flagellin
    HGE Human granulocytic ehrlichiosis
    kDa kilodalton = molecular weight
    Oms Outer membrane-spanning
    Osp Outer surface proteins
    p Protein


    I hope this will help you.

    You probably need to see a LLMD and get tested w/ Igenex.


    Bunny
  4. bunnyfluff

    bunnyfluff Member

    It means you have something taking down your immune system:


    SIgMD may occur as a primary or secondary condition. Secondary SIgMD is much more common than primary SIgMD and may be seen in association with malignancy, autoimmune disease, gastrointestinal disease, and in patients treated with immunosuppressive agents.


    On E-Medicine, it advises someone with immunoglobulin M deficiency to see an infectious disease specialist immediately.

    My guess it Lyme is wreaking havoc.

    Hope this helps,
    Bunny