Question about Magnesium

Discussion in 'Fibromyalgia Main Forum' started by libra55, Sep 13, 2003.

1. libra55

libra55 New Member

I have noticed in quite a few of these posts that references are made to magnesium to help with sleep difficulties.

Can anyone tell me what dosage of magnesium and in what form they take it, as I would like to try it. My sleep has gotten worse since I had a flare about a month ago, and my flexeril is NOT working for me. The doctor told me to double the dosage, and I did, did not sleep one wink and felt terrible the next day.

I appreciate the wisdom on this board and any help you can give me.

Good wishes,
    Michelle
  2. Shirl

Shirl New Member

I have found, what I consider a miracle for me for sleep.

I have had insomnia all my life. I have tried everything on the market, from prescription to OTC's, nothing helped for a long period of time.

Now I found my 'miracle' formula. Here is what I take;

7pm 1 Xanax (0.25 mgs) for racing brain syndrome.

9 pm 2 capsules of ZMA (zinc, magnesium and vitamin B-6), this is the 'miracle for sleep', it also stopped my RLS, and my FM spasms, and my 'mind' in not so foggy anyone.

I have been taking ZMA now for 18 months, and am sleeping 7-8 hours of deep sleep everynight for the first time in my life.

Right before bed, I take a 2 1/2 milligram of Melatonin, this is a hormone that we seem to lose as we get older, our bodies stop making enough for us to fall asleep.

A lot of us just take the ZMA, and it works for them. If you try it, be sure to purchase it here at Pro Health, or get the 'SNAC' brand only from a healthfood store in the 'Sports Section', its what Pro Health now sells. I have tried other brands but they did not work.

The ZMA has 300mg of Magnesium in it, but you can take other forms of Magnesium if you want.

I also take Pro Energy (Malic Acid and Magnesium Glycinate), one before breakfast and one before lunch. This is also a product of Pro Health. Wonderful supplement.

All total, I am getting about 550-600 milligrams of magnesium a day.

But if I were you , I would start with the ZMA, then try the Pro Energy as too much magnesium at one time will cause diarrhea.

You can ask your pharmacist if there is any contridictions in taking ZMA and Flexeril before you start it. I don't think it would hurt, but just be on the safe side.

A lot of people take Klonopin and ZMA and it works out as well as what I take. So do check first please.

Good luck, and I hope you have as good a results as I have had.

By the way, it takes most people about 10-14 days to get the real effects of the ZMA. I do notice the longer I am taking it the better my sleep is.

I can wake up for the bathroom, and go right back to sleep. Before I would wake up and that was the end of the sleeping for me, I would be wide awake, but exausted.

Let me know how you do with it.

Shalom, Shirl
  3. jadibeler

jadibeler New Member

I take 400 mgs of magnesium glyconate, with food, just before bed. It started working for me immediately. I now get 6-8 hrs. of solid sleep (still have those wierd dreams, though) and I'm not exhausted & nonfunctional when I wake up. I'm recommending it to everyone! I get mine at the $-General for $2/bottle. Haven't found the glyconate anywhere else around here and that's supposed to be the quickest to absorb (besides citrate, which I don't take for fear of even more diahrrea). I do want to add another kind for mornings, to get the mgs/day up higher.

My cousin found a type at CVS that disolves instantly, before she even gets the glass of water to her mouth. I'd say that would absorb really fast.

JoAnn
  4. barbaradh

barbaradh New Member

In reference to your 'weird' dreams, what other meds are you on? I'm only asking because there are two different meds that do that to me - Ambien and Remeron. My rheumatologist put me on Ambien hoping it would get me into the deeper stages of sleep, but I it gave me very vivid and very detailed nightmares, so I stopped taking it. My psychiatrist recently put me on Remeron, once again in hopes of getting me into deeper sleep, but it did the same thing. She switched me back to Desyrel and my dreams are 'normal' once again. Is there something you're taking that might be doing that to you?

Barbara
  5. annepat

annepat New Member

Shirl-

Does yolur doctor monitor your zince levels?

I think thta Great Smokies has a test-(insurance coverage).

High Zince levels can be detrimental.
  6. ssMarilyn

ssMarilyn New Member

How do you now if it's the Xanax or the ZMA helping you sleep? Have you tried dropping the Xanax and seeing if ZMA will do the trick alone?

I also read in my "Miracle of Magnesium" book to always take it on an empty stomach and for sure NOT with protien.

Marilyn :)
  7. paulalbert

paulalbert New Member

The most bioavailable forms of magnesium are magnesium gluconate and magnesium citrate. No form of magnesium is all that readily absorbed orally. I recommend (based on what I've read) injections or via suppository!... 2 X 250 mg is what I've read from the experts.
  8. Adl123

Adl123 New Member

My sleep has greatly improved lately. I take powdered magnesium (1 teaspoon) at night, cinnamon during the day, and, believe it or not, yoga. Now, all I have done so far in yoga is learned to breathe properly and stand properly. I just cannot believe the results. Good luck to you..Terry
  9. EZBRUZR

EZBRUZR New Member

Been a Great help for me. michelle, listen to them and tansy, klutzo, and even Rescources Prohealth has in Healthwatch & other places Here Are Great!
    peace,
    eZ
  10. annepat

annepat New Member

I do a mag combo citrate etc.-the three most bioavailable forms.

We alos throw Mangnesium into my IV's-just need to be careful not to put too much, as it can cause fast drops in blood pressure. It does help in mcombination w/glutathione for chest pressure and severe spasms.

anne
  11. libra55

libra55 New Member

Thank you all so very much for your responses. I think I am just ready to explore more of the natural alternatives. I also was on Ambien years ago and had the nightmares. It's funny how traditional physicians don't really address nutritional issues very much.

{{{{{Hugs}}}}}}} to all,
    Michelle
  12. genie1

genie1 New Member

michelle: I take (KAL)magnesium glycinat 400, 3 before bedtime, I also take magnesium oxide made buy twinlab with 1 mag 400 glycinate at breakfast & lunch it helps me alot, you can get these products at the health store. But I find I have to use these particular brands. others don't work or they have other combinations that affect me in a negative way.

[ advertisement ]