question about marijuana

Discussion in 'Fibromyalgia Main Forum' started by loto, Dec 21, 2009.

1. loto

loto Member

I remember readin a post on here about marijuana intolerance in people with CFS and FM

The thing I can't remember is, what exactly does marijuana help with??? I have FM and have decided to try marijuana to help with my low moods. Does it also help with pain or anything??

Anyone who knows, please reply!!!
    Of course I still wish marijuana would be legalized. I used to use it when i was younger, but haven't for about 15 years. In my opinion, it's not any worse than alcohol.

loto
  2. bct

bct Active Member

Hi Loto, I don't know whether this is legal in your state or not........

But in California and about a dozen or more states it is.

That being said, Med. Mj. is used for nausea, anxiety (although some are made more anxious, possibly because of stigma, etc.), and the alleviation of neuropathic and other pains.

Try it if you can; it is, as you say, no worse than alcohol.

I'm sure people will jump all over me on this, but I really don't care. I've had HORRIBLE side- effects from so many of my meds. This one has the least. And I am a legal, card-carrying user, like Swedeboy, who posted under ALES post, I believe, a week or so ago.

Regards,
    Barry
  3. loto

loto Member

I live in Illinois.
    Haven't read up if med marijuana is done here or not.

I am going to try it tonite. Got some yesterday, but didn't get a chance to try it out last nite. I will tonite for sure. I'm just hoping it won't give me any problems, like with the other meds I take.
    I'm to the point where I don't care if anyone knows I'm trying this, either. Just because it's illegal, doesn't mean it's bad for you. (ya, that's my opinion, and I'm stickin to it!!)
    Not like I'm trying or doing it just for fun.
    And, I hope it does help with some of my pain and low moods! If it does, I'm telling my doctor about it!

loto
  4. loto

loto Member

Me again, Barry.
    Just googled medical marijuana in Illinois, and said it's close to becoming legal in Illinois for serously ill patients like with AIDS. So, I wonder what other health issues will be allowed to be prescribed mary??

loto
  5. FibroFay

FibroFay New Member

It's close to becoming legal in PA also. That's where I live. I would try it in a heartbeat if my doctor would agree. I take so many meds. that I would not try if without doctor's approval because of possible interactions.

Good luck to you. I hope it helps you:)

Fay
  6. loto

loto Member

I'm kinda worried about interactions with my other meds. But, I'm willing to try a little bit at a time to find out.
    And, of course, I'll make sure I don't have to do anything important or go anywhere when I try it!!! Past experience tells me I will have some amusement, but that's not the reason I'm going to do it now!! :)

loto
  7. loto

loto Member

Since you are legal in regards to medical marij., do you know of any drug interactions that may occur with marijuana use?
    I take Cymbalta-120 mg daily (before bedtime cause it makes me sleepy), Norco 7.5 (8 tablets per day), and Prilosec for acid reflux.

Any info would be much appreciated!!!!!!

loto
  8. FibroFay

FibroFay New Member

I wonder if you can find out about possible interactions by googling medical marajuana info. Hope Barry has some information. I might worry about the Cymbalta. Go slow.

Hugs,
    Fay
  9. bct

bct Active Member

I think a useful book for you would be Marijuana Medical Handbook by Gieringer,Ph.D, Rosenthal, and Carter, M.D. It will answer all your questions and more. Paperback, 19.95. 2008.

I have CFS (1994), Chronic Lymphocytic Leukemia (2001), idiopathic peripheral neuropathy, and some back problems from being thrown from a horse. Some depression.

Regards,
    Barry
  10. loto

loto Member

I'll check the book out.

Wow, sorry for all of your medical issues. I'm just glad you found something that helps you.
    loto
  11. cynicaldog

cynicaldog New Member

There are two different strains of marijuana, "indica" and "sativa", and it's also possible to grow a plant which is a cross-breed and has aspects of both. I believe indica is supposed to be a bit more mentally sedating, whereas sativa is supposed to be more mentally stimulating. Long story short, different blends of marijuana will have subtle differences in how they affect the user, so if you obtain your supply from varying sources, the effect may vary each time. That's one benefit of medical marijuana -- once you find a strain that works for you, you can expect that every batch will be almost identical.

I'm not marijuana expert... I tried it once in my 43 years and it gave me a headache :) However, there's lots of information online about the differences in sativa and indica. You'll probably never know the specifics of what you're using, but if you have access to different strains of plant, you should probably try a few different ones until you find one that works best for your symptoms.

Here's one article about the different strains: http://medicalmarijuana.procon.org/viewanswers.asp?questionID=000638. The quotes at the end of the page are interesting with regards to personal and professional options of different strains and blends for medical use.
    [This Message was Edited on 12/21/2009]
  12. lynncats

lynncats New Member

good subject, at least for me. It works wonders, relaxes, sleep, appetite. Don't abuse but let me tell you all in this DD world, try it once!! Sorry, my opinion.

HUGS TO ALL

LYNN
  13. AuntTammie

AuntTammie New Member

I have been having so much nausea I am willing at this point to try just about anything, but I live in IL (not legal yet) and have no idea how to get any (even illegally)....also I do worry a bit that it will make me gain weight which despite the nausea and vomiting I am still doing already
  14. loto

loto Member

that's a lot of helpful info for me!!! That is amusing what the Canada government was searching for!
    Well, I haven't even started my quest yet, and I have no idea what kind I have!
    Last nite my teenies were around too much for me to even attempt to have a go at it.....

15. loto

loto Member

thanks for sharing.

Unfortunately, I don't currently have a problem with not having an appetite! Actually, I do have a problem--the only thing I want to eat now is sweets. I'd rather have deserts all day long than to eat a healthy meal. I've been that way for a few months now. Probably hormones or something else going on that I haven't discovered yet.

But I do need help with relaxing, sleeping well, and pain.
  16. debilyn

debilyn New Member

I too have the overwhelming desire to eat desserts instead of meals. It's so bizarre. It's hard to explain. I've always been a pretty healthy eater. This is weird.

It's not really a craving; it's the only type of food that feels like it won't make me feel sicker. I have no idea where this desire came from, but I am constantly fighting the urge to just eat dessert and forget about anything nutritious.

It seems to me that our bodies should crave what will make us healthy not what won't. Maybe it's from hormones...I don't know. It's definetly a struggle to choose healthy foods these days.

~debilyn