Question about medical leave of ab.

Discussion in 'Fibromyalgia Main Forum' started by Lendi, Jan 8, 2003.

1. Lendi

Lendi New Member

I am so glad I have found this site. It makes me feel as though I'm not so alone. You guys are so knowledgeable and I'm grateful for any input you can give me. I have recently been diagnosed with a sleep disorder, hypothyroidism and CFS. I also have IBS and high bloodpressure and was totally healthy a year ago. My Dr. told me he wanted me to take a medical leave of absence from work. But, I can not afford to do this right now. For one reason, the medical bills from all the tests I just went through are outrageous, even with insurance. I had 2 MRIs, a sleep study, EMG, NCV and oodles of blood tests. But, I visited with my boss and we agreed that I can cut my hrs. from 8:00-5:00 (working straight through eating lunch at desk) to 9:00-3:00 for a month and then re-evaluate. I told her I would just work 8:00-4:00 and see if that would work, which would be my technical 8 hr day, but she wanted me to start lower and build back up. I also have an hr.(1/2 hr each way) worth of drive to get there and back. Now, I hope this help me get back on my feet, but the real question is: should I get something in writing from my Dr. and from my boss. Can she use this as excess absenteeism to fire me? My place of employment is looking at layoffs, but not in my dept. I will be using accumulated vacation time to do this, and this has been ok'd both by my boss and her boss. I've only been working there since early aug. so I feel badly that I am putting them in such a bind. I just feel uncomfortable about the whole thing.
  2. teach6

teach6 New Member

Just to be safe I'd ask the boss for it in writing. Tell her you would feel more comfortable if she put it in writing. That way just in case something comes up you have it. If she wants a note from your doc, get one, otherwise I don't think it should be necessary.

The most important thing to remember is to take care of yourself and limit your activity, both at work and at home, as much as possible. Sometimes we believe we are in much better shape than we really are. I'm one who took a day off from work for a medical test and didn't go back full-time, ever.

Good luck to you.

Barbara
  3. Shirl

Shirl New Member

Hi Lendi, welcome to the group. I see you have received all the advice you will need concerning your job. Sound advice at that!

Just stopped to welcome you, and hope we hear from you often.

Good luck with the job,

Shalom, Shirl
  4. Dara

Dara New Member

and my advice to you is to create a papertrail for yourself because I can guarantee you your employer is creating a papertrail on you. Don't take anything for granted, and I would ask that everything be put in writing. Not just from your employer but also from your doctor's recommendations. Unless you belong to a strong union you really don't have anything to back you up without having something in writing. For all you know, your Boss could be terminated and another new one could come along and not have any idea what has been agreed on. Good luck to you, I haven't been able to work for over a year now, my leave of absence runs out this coming July and I have no idea what I am going to do.. Welcome to this wonderful site.

Dara