Question about Medicare Ins. when Have great Insurance already?

Discussion in 'Fibromyalgia Main Forum' started by deb06, Sep 25, 2006.

1. deb06

deb06 New Member

Any advice would be very appreciated. I am now eligible for medicare insurance from being disabled due to fibro and anxiety, depression etc.

I already have very good health care coverage thru my husband. I am trying to figure out if it would be economically beneficial for me to pay the monthly premium or not. I can't find anyone to tell me which would be my primary and secondary insurance or if it would be worthwhile.

And since I discovered that I CAN sign up at any time if necessary and NOT be penalized... I am leaning towards denying the benefits for now.

Can any of you tell me what you decided on similiar situations where you already had insurance thru your husband equal or greater than medicare?!

Thanx! Deb
  2. Slayadragon

Slayadragon New Member

I paid my grandmother's medical bills for the last several years of her life, and it seemed to me that the deductibles were enormous. Much higher than ours (through employer sponsor), even though we have BCBS PPO rather than an HMO and often go to doctors outside their system.

This is not necessarily relevant to your questions, but it did kind of surprise me when I saw the bills.
  3. srollins

srollins New Member

ss did not give me a choice about the medicare. i was 56 at the time i went on ssd, i don't know if age plays a part or not.i had great coverage through my husbands job and would have had until i was 62. now this is something to read carefully because of the mess i had......................

like i said i was awarded ssd when i was 56. at that time not only did they award me 539.00 a month they awared me medicare. to make thing worse they made it retro-active! they went back a full yr.

well let me tell you, that opened up a can of worms i didn't need.

first of all my dh's insurance dropped me like a hot spud and if that wasn't bad enough they demanded all the money back they had paid out for me for that last yr.including prescriptions which alone came out to just under three thousand bucks.

as for using them as a secondary insurance to medicare???
    that is not an option even if we had paid for it.

talk about a mess. wish i had known then what i know now.

the one thing though to remember is, every case seems to be different. i think it is like the irs.......depends on who you talk to. lollol

shirley
  4. deb06

deb06 New Member

Which insurance insisted you to take Medicare? Medicare itself or the one you had already?

You all have me more worried and confused. :)

My Medicare book said that I can not accept Medicare if I have equal or greater insurance coverage now. Maybe that is the difference in these cases?!

deb
  5. lea

lea Member

check w/both.

If you've a WORKING spouse w/100? or more people who work at his company, then you do not have to get medicare.

Also, ther is no penalty for putting on Medicare, when you so choose. This is all in print. You can ask Medicare for such information to be mailed to you; it may also be in your annual Medicare book that MEdicare sends you.

take care
    best,
    lea
  6. srollins

srollins New Member

i think it has something to do with the insurance itself. my husband was a teamster so we had that insurance and you can bet that they had a number of people. but as i said before i was not given the option at the time and my situation turned into a big mess when they made the medicare retro-acttive and the teamsters wanted all that money back.

to make matters worse they wouldn't allow me to just hand it back we had to go through all this red tape mess to do it. it was a nightmare.

bottom line........................ask questions, read...ask again.what ever it takes so there are no surprizes.

shirley
  7. deb06

deb06 New Member

My husband has good ins though less than 100 employees, but I have finally decided that I do NOT need to get medicare at this time since it not as good as what I have. I think that is the determining factor. However, I can pick up medicare at any time in the future without penalty. luv , deb
  8. CATHYRG

CATHYRG New Member

i am insured through my husbands insurance. it is much better then medicare. we talked to his insurance adviser.all our meds come through his insurance also. when he decides to retire (he is 71) we will at that point go on medicare.cathy