question about memory and flaring

Discussion in 'Fibromyalgia Main Forum' started by OmShanti, Jun 10, 2003.

1. OmShanti

OmShanti New Member

i'm just now getting over a horrible flare, and i'm finding that i can't remember a whole lot if i try to think back about the past few months. i know CFS and FM affect the memory, and mine stinks, but i'm wondering is it worse when you're flaring...like could a flare almost be a "blackout" of sorts, memory-wise?
    has anyone else noticed that it's really hard to remember things if they happened at the time you were flaring? maybe this is a silly question, it kind of answers itself i guess. i'm just frustrated because this was sort of my first really bad one, and i feel like i'm growing more stupid by the day or something. i'm such a flake now and i was always so alert and together when i spoke.
    does anyone find that taking things like ginko or other "memory enhancing" supplements does any good?
    please forgive me if this has already been discussed.
    ~tara
  2. tiredTina

tiredTina New Member

LOL!!! Just kidding, but only a little bit. My memory has gone from photographic to duhhhh. I too used to be sooo together and organized, I remembered EVERYTHING, now I can't remember whether I fed my kids or not!!! I feel that it DOES get worse during and right after a flare. I can be going along on a pretty good stretch, then I flare and BAM!! I can't remember how to talk anymore. My husband will just stare at me..."what are you trying to say, use English!!!!!" LOL! I have to laugh at my jiberish, what else can I do?

I haven't tried anything for it, I'm kinda afraid to take anything else. I'm already on way too many meds! If you do try something, please let us know how it works.

I feel for you, and understand your frustration. Sometimes knowing you're not the only one really helps, I hope that you can feel that way! Take care,

Hugs,
    ~Tina~
  3. OmShanti

OmShanti New Member

it does help just knowing i'm not alone in this, though it's still extremely frustrating lol. i'm going to wait a couple of weeks before introducing anything else (ginko or the like), but if i find that something helps i'll definitely *remember* to share it with all of you :)

4. tandy

tandy New Member

This part of FM is one of the worst!!I'm about as smart as a box of rocks! Never had a problem before FM!!(I sware~)lol My kids will ask me to recall things that we've done together.......and I do not remember alot~it stinks! I fear it being that alzheimers disease!!
    gotta go bed it down.........(meds are kickin in!)
    Tracey~