Question about Metamucil

Discussion in 'Fibromyalgia Main Forum' started by Eve612, Jun 30, 2003.

1. Eve612

Eve612 New Member

Arrrggghhh....will I ever get this right...I bought a bottle of Metamucil capsules & after reading the warning, I am afraid to take them! It says it can cause choking & swell up in the esophogas..in that case, the cure would be worse than my problem. Please, if anyone here has used it, let me know if you had any problems with it?

Eve
  2. franners

franners New Member

I takke Citrucel caplets and do not have trouble with them. Make sure you use plenty of fluids when taking. Thaat is when you risk blockage of the esophagus.
    I hope it all comes out in the end for you (little bowel humor. Get it?).
  3. Eve612

Eve612 New Member

LOL....yeah, I get it....thanks, it sounds very frightening the way they describe it, so I was leary of taking it.

Eve
  4. Mikie

Mikie Moderator

For at least 20 mins. to half an hour after eating or ingesting medications. Let gravity do its work. Drinking lots of liquids is a good idea, but no guaranty that a capsule will not get stuck.

Love, Mikie
  5. klarry

klarry New Member

I have been taking a daily dose of Metamucil for years on the recommendation of my doctor. It has made my IBS a thing of the past. Each morning I mix one tablespoon with 8 oz. of water. If I experience a digestive problem I mix a second dose in the afernoon (very rare occurence). I hope this helps you to feel better.
  6. Eve612

Eve612 New Member

I wish I could have read the fine print before I bought it! I didn't have my glasses with me. I did not know about all the dire complications warning ( of which some have allievated my fears), & I sure did not realize that I would need to take 6 capsules a day. I already take about sixty, so I do not need to add that many more....guess I just wasted $9.00. There must be something out there, that you only have to take once or twice a day. Back to searching....

Eve
  7. bitter-sweet

bitter-sweet New Member

The manufacturer is required to put that warning on the package. That's only if you don't drink enough fluids, which it instructs you to do also. This is true with any type of fiber. You may not need 6 capsules a day. It depends on how you react to it. Citrucel does not have the psyllium that the doctor recommends for drawing fluid into the bowel to help lessen constipation. It uses another form of fiber. That may work for you as mentioned by another here, but that carries the same warning. I hope you are not blaming me for spending $9. I never buy anything without reading the label, even if a doctor does recommend it. I have worked for years as a nurse, and many people have used Metamucil without any problems, and the majority have had good results. They also use it for diarrhea to add bulk to stools. This has been a lesson for me not to be so free with what's worked for me, even if the information is requested. Linda
    [This Message was Edited on 06/30/2003]
  8. Eve612

Eve612 New Member

Goodness no, I don't blame any one but myself & I may yet give it a try. I welcome all the info I get here on anything I ask about & I know that all of us are not the same & what works for on, may not work for the other, but I just wanted some kind of verification from some who had used it, that "they" had not had any problems. I did read on one other post about bowel problems, that their Mother had a lot of problems with it, but I don't know what kind....

Purrs,
    Eve
  9. bitter-sweet

bitter-sweet New Member

I was glad you responded. It's hard to get intonation in writing if not much punctuation is used, so I just wanted to make sure how you felt. I still will be cautious so I don't feel like I messed someone else up. I would bet the person's mother you heard about did not drink enough fluids, but I could be wrong. Someone mentioned that the capsules are more expensive. It's worth it to me not to have to drink the stuff. I hope you find something that works for you. Keep us posted. Linda
  10. Eve612

Eve612 New Member

Sorry, I didn't realize that there were two Linda's...I guess if it's safe to give to a three year old, it's not going to kill me...my only problem now is having to add that many additional pills to what I already take. Pretty soon, I'll be spending the majority of my day taking pills! LOL Anyway, will be anxious to see if it helps the problem.

Eve
  11. Jen F

Jen F New Member

Get yourself a bottle of the powder and start with a small amount at first maybe 1/4 tsp, to reassure yourself that you don't have any bad reactions.

Mabye try like I did and take it first thing in the morning on an empty stomach with a full glass of water and/or juice. [I tend to drink all my juice slightly watered down or half juice half water to reduce the sugar rush a bit]

I would be surprised if you have any significant problem with Metamucil.

some people react to gelatin in capsules, so might be more of a chance of esophagial irritation with the capsules I would think.

i think the powder is better, but it is less convenient I guess, and you have to wash a glass...

I don't think you need to spend so much energy worrying about it, it's a pretty benign product.

Hope it helps you.

Jen
  12. Eve612

Eve612 New Member

My husband says I worry too much about everything too. I take lots of capsules, so don't think that's a concern & I already drink a Pro Fibe shake in the AM, plus I always prefer things in pill form, if possible, so will just give what I bought a go, & if it doesn't work, then so be it, on to something else. I do appreciate everyone's bearing with the "worrier"!

Eve
  13. Applyn59

Applyn59 New Member

To Eve612 06/30/03 07:53 PM

.Hi Eve,
    I searched the web and found this. It sounds like what you are looking for. Just do a google on Ultimate
    Cleanse and you will see the sites that offer it.
    Lynn

Ultimate Cleanse ® am pm

A legendary supplement just got better!

The #1 selling internal cleanser on the Market.*
    Gold Medal Vity-Award winner for the last 3 years in the cleansing and detoxifying categories.
    Addresses all five channels of elimination: bowel, liver, kidneys, lungs, and skin.
    Two-part formula: Multi herb, featuring 29 powerful cleansing herbs that stimulate the cleansing and release of toxins and poisons trapped in the body from poor dietary habits and environmental pollutants. Multi Fiber, featuring 13 fibers and herbs that aid in stimulating bile and peristaltic action, while sweeping, cleansing, and toning your digestive and eliminative systems.
    87% repeat purchase rate.**
    (This means 87% of the customers come back and buy again!)
    The original and only clinically formulated and clinically researched complete internal body cleanser backed by 30,000+ hours of nutritional expertise.
      *Based on Spins Data (Spence Information Systems)
    **According to retailer survey.

Subtle improvements - extraordinary results.
    Ultimate Cleanse has changed the live of thousands of people, through its comprehensive Multi-Herb and Multi-Fiber formulas. By cleansing and toning all five channels of elimination (the bowel, kidneys, lings, skin, and lymphatic system), digestion and all other bodily functions can be rejuvenated back to normal functioning. We're proud to introduce the "new and improved" Ultimate Cleanse, which features Siberian Ginseng for extra energy and for support against stress while cleansing. Ultimate Cleanse continues to be the "original & only" clinically formulated and clinically researched complete internal body cleanser on the market.

Quality!
    Absorption and harmony In addition, New and Improved Ultimate Cleanse is formulated with specific "harmonizing" herbs and botanicals that increase absorption and act as catalysts, so that the ingredients work as a "symphony" together, providing long lasting benefits.
    Precision, care, and research New and Improved Ultimate Cleanse was designed under the expertise of world-renowned naturopath Lindsey Duncan, N.D.,C.N., who's formulations have become world famous due to their amazing effectiveness and natural ingredients.

Instructions: Multi-Herb and Multi-Fiber were designed to be taken together in the morning and evening. Start with 1 tablet of both products in the morning and 1 tablet of both products in the evening, increasing intake of both products by 1 tablet every other day until you achieve 2 to 3 bowel movements per day. Once you find the correct number of tablets, you can continue with that amount for enhanced internal cleansing. Do not exceed 6 tablets of each product twice per day. Take only as much product as is needed to achieve 2-3 good bowel movements per day. Drink 8 to 10 glasses of water per day. For best results, follow the enclosed cleansing booklet.

[This Message was Edited on 06/30/2003]
  14. marykello4

marykello4 New Member

.Hi...My daughter takes a similiar product that is easer to desolve. She says it has solved her IBS. Mix it in full glass of water and then drink full glass of water afterwards. Good luck....
  15. Eve612

Eve612 New Member

You're an angel! That's it. I'm so glad they still make it, & it sounds like it's even improved, although it worked great way back then, when I took it. I had no problems with it. You have made my day!

Thanks,
    Eve
  16. bitter-sweet

bitter-sweet New Member

Eve, I'm so glad you finally found the solution you were looking for. Sorry for all the confusion. Linda
  17. Eve612

Eve612 New Member

And, you've heard the expression " If it'd been a bear, it would have bit you", well that applies to this situation. After doing the search & looking for sites that sell it, guess where I found it & the best price too? Yep, right here on the store here! So it is now ordered on monthly ship & I can't wait to get it & get started. Thanks again.

Eve