question about MRSA...I had (have?) it and wonder if.....

Discussion in 'Fibromyalgia Main Forum' started by sleepyinlalaland, Sep 12, 2006.

1. sleepyinlalaland

sleepyinlalaland New Member

..if I will always be considered a carrier...and if I AM, to what extent should I caution others?

Two years ago I experienced what I thought were EXTREMELY itchy flea bites on my chest. We have a dog, so it seemed a good possibility. Within a few days the "bites" got nastier, with a few becoming small cysts (mine never got boil size). I also had areas of cellulitis where my skin was red, sore and inflamed from within. Fortunately I got treated for it pretty quickly because my daughter had just been diagnosed prior to my getting it and I knew what it was. I got it from her because I touched near a weepy sore she had(before I knew she had something contagious).

Now, even two years later, I can still get a small reoccurence. I will get small itchy bumps usually on arms or back behind underarms. Although I knocked off the initial attack with Clindamycin, my doctor was not too concerned about this smaller stuff, and it does go away on its own. I do of course wash myself and hands A LOT during this time. My first reoccurence I also used Bactrin (recommended cream) and put it in my nostrils as well, which is recommended as that's where they lurk in a carrier. But I know it's not completely wiped out, as small bumps still crop up once in awhile.

My question is: How do I know if I'm a carrier, and how big a "threat" am I to others? I never had anyone I know catch it from me. And do I tell hosts when I am over-night company? Do they need to BOIL their sheets? Gosh. I personally don't think so, but I've read new guidelines about stopping the spread and makes me wonder.

When do people who've HAD MRSA consider themselves OVER it, and how do they know?

Thanks for anyone who may have experience or opinions on this.
  2. littleleafhopper

littleleafhopper New Member

3. laura3951

laura3951 New Member

this is how i developed ra, i had 15 staph related skin infections i did the bactrin ban and have had no problems with staph but the taxing on my immune system i know that the doc cultured the inside of my nose and i had staph so i guess i am the culprit we disinfected our whol house and the whole family did our noses. i think you can be over it maybe you have to use the cream periodically to make sure.. nasty stuff missy
  4. cc0526

cc0526 New Member

MRSA or Methicillin-resistant Staphylococcus Aureus is an infection that is really hard to get rid of. Healthy people usually are at little risk to "catch" the infection from someone who has it as long as they use general good hygeine habits... wash, wash, wash..

Most people have in fact been exposed to it and have never had any real symptoms other than symptoms of a common cold. It is most commonly found in nasal passages of most healthy people.

It can be found in nearly any part of the body however, most common, urine, wounds and respiratory tracts. Individuals with compromised immune systems (US!) are at the greatest risk of contracting the illness from exposure from some who currently has the infection.

Therefore, the likelyhood of spreading the disease depends largely on 1. where the mrsa is located, 2. if and how long you have been treated with an antibiotic that is able to kill the bug, and 3. how healthy the individual is that you are concerned about infecting.

Where I work, in order for someone to be considered non-contageous, they will have had to have finished a course of antibiotic that the mrsa has been shown to be susceptible too and following that, the infected person must have two consecutive negative mrsa cultures.

Again, healthy people who use good handwashing techniques and don't have any direct contact (touching or handling infected urine or skin leisions for ex.) are at a low risk of "catching" the infection.

Those at highest risk are those with weakened immune systems such as most of us, the elderly and very young children etc.

You can become free of the MRSA infection, it does take time though and I'm not positive on this part but you may have a greater chance of getting the infection again in the future.

As far as the "carrier" status, like I said, I think it is somewhere in the ballpark of 70% of us all have been exposed to it at some point and if we were to take nasal swabs of everyone, that percentage would be positive. It all depends on our immune systems and where the "bug" ends up in our bodies that determine what protective measures to take.

In general, if your concerned, make sure people you are in contact with use gloves when touching open wounds or whatever body substance may be involved. Washing hands, etc. The normal healthy adult population have a very small chance of catching it if they use good handwashing techniques.

Hope that helps some,
    Patty