Question about neck pain and sinus pain connection

Discussion in 'Fibromyalgia and ME & Chronic Fatigue Syndrome' started by kjade, Sep 20, 2007.

1. kjade

kjade New Member

Everytime my neck goes into major spasm, and my trigger points (which are just below my ears in my neck) act up, I find that I develop severe sinus pain and congestion. I do have allergies, but they don't bother me unless my neck is hurting.

Now, I have mentioned this to several Drs and they blow me right off. My ENT told me I needed to see a neurosurgeon since neck pain has nothing to do with sinuses. Others have told me there is no relation whatsoever. My chiro DID however, tell me sinuses drain somewhere in the back of the neck (or something like that).

I spent YEARS being treated for chronic sinusitis with antibiotics and constantly taking OTC sinus meds (until they made it nearly a criminal act to buy pseudophedrine OTC!). The sinus meds always seem to help the neck pain and sinus pain somewhat.

The past 2 days my neck has been so bad that it hurts right into my entire face, and my eyes even hurt, and I can't focus (if that makes sense).

Does anyone ever notice this too, and if so, is there really a connection and my Drs just don't know what they are talking about?
  2. juls6

juls6 New Member

the nerve endings for sinus, etc are right there in your neck - Have to search for the chart I'm thinking of; i'll repost if i find it. I had years of problems after a car accident; complaining to regular docs and they never got it. walked into a chiropractors' office and saw the chart and immediately made the connection to all my problems right to the spine areas that were injured. go figure.

so yes there is a connection.
    skycookiee likes this.
  3. kjade

kjade New Member

Yes I really think there is a connection. My chiro is the only one that acknowledged it. The way he explained it made sense. And the spinal problem makes sense too.
    I mean if your spine controls everything, it kinda makes sense.

Yes, Juls - I would love to see the chart you are talking about..
    skycookiee likes this.
  4. juls6

juls6 New Member

C2 if the sinuses

Here's the image

http://www.zhealthinfo.com/spine.htm

I don't know what that site is - if its not allowed then I'll host the image on my own server.[This Message was Edited on 09/21/2007]
  5. grace54

grace54 New Member

have had sinus pain and infection for 2 weeks now and the pain seemed to move from head , neck and then down into shoulders. The abx helps with the inflamation too and gives some relief.:)
  6. kjade

kjade New Member

My first chiro gave this chart to me years ago - I lost the paper so thanks so much for posting it. I was amazed when I studied it how much is actually affected by the spine and misalignments.

Actually on my 1st visit with him, he was feeling around on my back, and asked me if I ever had stomach trouble. At that time, I had severe cramping and heartburn constantly with no known cause. He did something to my back and it went away. I have saved this chart - thank you!

I believe the bulging disc in my neck is in C3 or C6, so that explains a lot.

Well, glad to know I'm not alone with this. The Drs make me think I'm nuts and don't know what I'm talking about.
  7. tansy

tansy New Member

are many; chiros and osteopaths tend to be better at picking these up than many conventional doctors.

For info from various sources see:
    http://www.fullhealth.com/articles/misalignment.html

http://www.thefhcc.com/nervechart.htm

http://www.cnjc.org/website/warning.htm

TC, Tansy
    [This Message was Edited on 09/29/2007]
  8. JaneSmith

JaneSmith New Member

I have to sleep almost sitting up because of the back of the neck pain. I haven't gone to the doctor for it. When I'm stressed out it gets worse. My job is stressing me a lot these days.
  9. LaQuiet

LaQuiet New Member

I have MPS in my neck and it ends up closing off my ear canal and that usually affects my sinus on that side also.. You might try talking to a doc that knows about Myofascial pain...
  10. tandy

tandy New Member

I was getting alot of those neck headaches, with sinus pressure and finally got referred to a PT. She said the neck and sinus's are connected.

at that time the therapist suggested mild neck traction to see if it would help. Surprizingly it did!!

also,...I wrap a heated beanie around my neck too ease the discomfort.

Hope this helps somewhat~
    I know how frustrating this is. I've suffered off and on for over 5 yrs.
    take care
    Tandy
  11. EvaAllNightLong

EvaAllNightLong New Member

If I get a sinus headache, I pick up the phone and call me chiro. One visit and I'm cured. There are two pressure points (I guess you call them that) on the back of your head. He presses on those and I can feel my sinus' drain. I've always had sinus problems. More since I've had teeth pulled. My sinus' had dropped into the spots where my teeth roots were. I used to take all kinds of antibiotics for sinus headaches. Days of pain, heating pads, moist heat etc are over. I had a sinus headache the first time I saw a chiro. Unbelievable. I was so amazed. My neck and shoulders do hurt at the same time.
    ~EVA~
    skycookiee likes this.
  12. maryl

maryl New Member

Do follow up on the myofascial pain idea. I am just learning about it, and you would be amazed how those trigger points refer pain to nearby areas, such as your problem.
  13. skycookiee

skycookiee Member

Im so happy i found this! im printing that chart and taking it to my doctor. ive suffered from chronic sinusitis for too long.
  14. Nanie46

Nanie46 Moderator