Question about Neuro exams

Discussion in 'Fibromyalgia Main Forum' started by TeresaBnGA, Sep 3, 2002.

1. TeresaBnGA

TeresaBnGA New Member

I just thought of this this morning. Has any of you that has had a neurologist examine you ever heard of the Babinski's reflex?
    Babinski's reflex is where he rubs a semi-sharp instrument up the bottom of your foot and your toes should curl downward in a normal response. In abnormal response the big toe will come up and the other toes will fan out. Suppose to be a sign of something wrong within the spinal cord.
    Well my experience was I had a very tiny response on one foot and no response on the other foot. My left foot response the big toe came up a tiny bit and the other toes flared a tiny bit.
    I have searched and searched the internet for information on other responses such as slight and no responses but have had no luck. Can anyone help?

Soft hugs!
    Teresa :)
  2. TeresaBnGA

TeresaBnGA New Member

I just thought of this this morning. Has any of you that has had a neurologist examine you ever heard of the Babinski's reflex?
    Babinski's reflex is where he rubs a semi-sharp instrument up the bottom of your foot and your toes should curl downward in a normal response. In abnormal response the big toe will come up and the other toes will fan out. Suppose to be a sign of something wrong within the spinal cord.
    Well my experience was I had a very tiny response on one foot and no response on the other foot. My left foot response the big toe came up a tiny bit and the other toes flared a tiny bit.
    I have searched and searched the internet for information on other responses such as slight and no responses but have had no luck. Can anyone help?

Soft hugs!
  3. Grams

Grams New Member

Hi Teresa, here's my experience. When doing the babinski test, neither of my feet has a response. I asked about this and was told that a no response can also be considered a normal response. With my no response, doctors will try several times (3 or 4) to get a response, but it never happens. I've also read that on a website, but have no idea where. I don't know about the tiny response.

Gentle hugs and blessings...
  4. Grams

Grams New Member

Sandy, I think the flaring toes in newborns is considered normal, but flaring toes in adults is not normal. Also, talking about positive and negative babinski tests can get very confusing. :)
  5. Grams

Grams New Member

Plantar Response

Test the plantar response by scraping an object across the sole of the foot beginning from the heel, moving forward toward the small toe, and then arcing medially toward the big toe. The normal response is downward contraction of the toes. The abnormal response, called Babinski's sign, is characterized by an upgoing big toe and fanning outward of the other toes. In some patients the toes are "silent," moving neither up nor down. If the toes are downgoing on one side and silent on the other, the silent side is considered abnormal. The presence of Babinski's sign is always abnormal in adults, but it is often present in infants, up to the age of about 1 year.

Here's the website:

http://www.neuroexam.com[This Message was Edited on 09/03/2002]
  6. TeresaBnGA

TeresaBnGA New Member

Thanks for the great answers! Let me know if you find any other stuff!!

Soft hugs!
  7. kadywill

kadywill New Member

to have or not to have....we test our Stroke patients for this and I, too, am often confused. Did your doc test this? Is he concerned?
    If I can add more later, I will...my Taber's medical dictionary says what Sandy's does. You'd think THAT would be clearer. Maybe THEY'RE confused, too!
    Be well,
    Kady
  8. TeresaBnGA

TeresaBnGA New Member

He was less than concerned. He said my high arches have something to do with it! haha!

Soft hugs!