Question about pain medication?

Discussion in 'Fibromyalgia Main Forum' started by lukelinnmark, Mar 26, 2009.

1. lukelinnmark

lukelinnmark New Member

I finally have got a little relief from so much pain,but my doctor has to keep upping my dose of pain medication,I started on 1- 5/325mg percocet 3 times a day and now I'm up to 8 per day and it seems that this dose is wearing off and having withdraw or something or to much tylonol building up in my system?He had ask me if I wanted to switch to morphine or a pain patch,I told him I would just keep taking what I was on for now,but now I am considering switching.Can anybody give me some advice on morphine or pain patch,will it help more and not wear off as soon?This is the first time in my life I have ever been on pain medication I don't understand why my tolarance is so high and it takes so much medicine to releive my pain.Also another option is oxycontin?I'm unsure which one to switch 2.Can somebody help me out that has taken these meds. before give me some advice please?thank!Mark
    [This Message was Edited on 03/27/2009]
  2. Janalynn

Janalynn New Member

I'm surprised your Dr still has you on 5 mgs of Percocet and not moved you up to 10.
    In any case, I would highly recommend going to a longer acting med (extended release) like MSContin or Oxycontin - I would do that before the pain patch.

You will notice that it will definitely help with keeping the ups and downs at bay. You won't feel the other medicine wearing off rapidly like you do on the Percocet. You may still need you current med for breakthrough pain.

I'd talk to him about the Extended release and 10 mgs of Percocet for breakthrough. - then you're getting twice as much of the Percocet with the same amount of Tylenol.

I completely understand about the tolerance. I'm the same way. Was one that barely took a Tylenol - then when I couldn't take the pain any longer and had to take vicodin, I was surprised at how I didn't even feel any relief from it.

Good Luck - I'm glad you have a Dr. who is willing to work with you and help give you some quality of life. Being in constant pain is the worst!
  3. 3gs

3gs New Member

Hi Mark nice to see you back. Glad to hear you still have a doc helping you.

That is a low dose of Percocet. Surprised he didnt up it to 10s. I have tried the patch and am not a fan of those. Google info they were recalled and the cognitive problems were not worth it. Withdrawl is a nightmare.

Lots of us have tolerance issuses with meds. but i think its because of the low dose. Have you tried Lortab? Iam finding after years that its not working as long and get that withdrawl thing. Have asked my doc to put me on something longer lasting but no luck. Took a 5mg of oxycodone the other night and was amazed how well it worked. Its without the tylenol in it.

It is so indiviual with meds but I would try pain pills over patch.
    have you had your vitd levels cked? take any supps?
    [This Message was Edited on 03/26/2009]
  4. lukelinnmark

lukelinnmark New Member

I,ve tried lortab and they didn't even help my pain at all,I couldn't even tell I took anything.I'm on a mult-vitaman everyday and I just had some blood work done but haven't got the results back yet.I think I'm going to see if he will switch my medicine to oxycontin and see if that will help keep the withdraw down,because what I've read about the patch it sounds way to dangerous to me.I've seen somebody on the patch and they just look like there out of it everyday.I'm just looking for something where I won't have withdraw and keep me out of severe pain everyday,but don't want to be out of my mind like that.thanks for the advice.Mark
  5. lovemarley

lovemarley New Member

Did your dr explain to you that you should never take over 4,000 mg of acetaminophen a day?
    You aren't doing that now but too much tylenol is one of the most common poisionings. YES, please discuss taking oxycontin. You are very lucky to have a doctor who is willing to help you so he understands your pain. The long acting drugs are much better.

6. dehart

dehart New Member

I've been on pain meds for years and have my dr. won't up the dosage beyond what I'm at now. He says to do that would force me into a pain mgmt clinic and I've been there, done that and don't want to go back. So, I take them first thing in the morning so I can move, then about mid day, then again about late afternoon. I'm on 30mg oxycotin, 15 mg morphine ER and 2mg xanax (helps the pain, too).

I see below someone else has noted the danger of too much acetaminophen -- too much can ruin your liver. I know, from the former "pain clinic" my liver was damager by too much percocet.

A warning about too much codine and morphine & sleep aphnea -- they can strigger what's call "control aphnea" and cause all sorts of other problems if your doctor increases your dosages too high. I know, too, been there, too. GOOD LUCK
  7. wangotango

wangotango New Member

i am taking 300 mg of morophine in a 24 hr period. ms contin , i found out if i have enough pain meds in my system to keep the pain level i do not feel the need to have eny more, you know the ole addict/pain management argument. as a safe keep i also keep all my pain meds at my parents house , i live in a small town and every night i go down and visit and it lets me socalize and i get either 1 or 2 days worth of pills . it get me out and keeps me safe. i have cfs and a big old pituitary macroadenoma, so i have very severe headaches or pain in my left eye only. when i get like that i cant keep track of how much morophine i have taken, so its a good safe guard. i have no key to my parents house and if they are gone to the boats for a weekend we plan ahead. i also have cluster ha's in med schools they still call them suicide headaches thats how i got diagnosed my wife came home early i found me with a gun in my mouth rocking back and forth in a chair.
    hope that helps bill m in trenton mo
  8. daboysone

daboysone New Member

tolerance of medications are based on each persons size, wt, metabolism etc...nothing that you can control unfortunetly (? I am a horrible speller so please forgive). I have a high tol. to meds but not to pain! It takes alot of pain meds to help me with pain and I don't get a "high" off of them, thank God because I don't like to not be in control of myself and my situations. Never been a drug user nor a big drinker. I don't drink at all now and haven't in approx 8 years! Don't beat yourself up over have done nothing wrong with the meds and tolerance. Hang in there and hopefully with the help of a good Dr. you will find out which meds will work for you. (That is the nurse in me speaking! It has to be because I am so new to the diagnosis of fibro. and don't fully understand alot about it!).
  9. ericdinbstn

ericdinbstn New Member

It seems like I've tried everything. I'm now on oxycontin 40mg 3x day + Fentora losenge (fentanyl) for breakthrough. I find my breakthrough happens all the time, I'm needing the losenges every 2 hours instead of every 4 as prescribed. It really is frustrating. I was on the patches, they didn't do much for me. I'm with others here I'd discuss longer acting pills like oxy.

Good luck.

10. lukelinnmark

lukelinnmark New Member

It makes me feel better to no that I'm not the only 1 that has a high tolerance to pain meds. and that I'm really on a low dose.I think I will talk to my doctor about putting me on oxycontin and something else for breakthrough pain,something without tylonol,it seems like its building up in my system and messing with my stomach.Does anybody else that take something everyday with tylonol in it feel like you can taste it and almost makes you sick to chock down the pills every time you take it?I told my doctor when he first put me on it that I wasn't a big fan of taking something everyday with tylonol in it,because I'm scared of liver damage.thank you all for your help and support.Mark
  11. Janalynn

Janalynn New Member

Yes - there is an Oxycodone without Tylenol - ask your Dr. about it. It comes in 5, 15 and 20 mgs. It's actual name is Roxicodone.
    I have found that the meds w/o Tylenol aren't necessarily as effective. So once in a while you may need/want to take a Tylenol with it, but you won't have to take Tylenol every time if it's in the med - you'll have the choice.

Good Luck - I hope you get the relief you need!!
  12. caroleye

caroleye New Member

I've been dealing w/CFS, Fibro, Lupus, etc., etc. for over 30+ years, and could never tolerate "any" pain RX's, as they caused gastritis.

My pain has become so bad that yesterday my Dr. gave me a "homeopathic" Mag/Phos.
    It says to take 10 drops 3x/day. I took "One" drop & immediately felt some relief. He
    told me to add 1 crushed up Klonopin to it & shake it really well. I had less pain last night
    than ever.

But I'm a real "lightweight" when it comes to taking anything, including food, but wanted to pass it along in case there are other "canaries" like me out there that it might help.

Healing Light*************carole
  13. DemonFairy

DemonFairy New Member

Yeah, I'm one of those people who has an extremely high tolerance for pain meds...and it zips up pretty quickly too. It sucks. However, like some of the other people here suggested, I'd, at the very least, get rid of the Tylenol. (I find that Ibuprofen helps more anyway, but I don't want it to be bundled with my pain med, so I take plain Oxycodone and add my own Ibuprofen, which is both cheaper and controls how much extra junk is in my liver)

If you can afford or have insurance that pays for long-acting meds like Oxycontin or Fentanyl patches, I would definitely choose those over the Percocets. The lack of ups & downs in your pain relief will be such a welcome change. My preference would be Fentanyl patches (get them for every 48 hours...they don't last 72) and I think you'll feel SO much better. Even trying Oxycontin (with breakthrough Oxycodone or even your Percocets) will improve your pain control so much.

I've tried just about everything, and my preference (when I can afford it) is Fentanyl patches with a breakthrough med. Second, would be Oxycontin. Last, would be any morphine product like Dilaudid and MS Contin - for some reason, those meds did less than plain Ibuprofen for me. I wonder if it's related to my tolerance issue or it's just some genetic thing. Anyway, those meds were a total waste of money for me. So, if you're going to try any long-acting morphine product, make sure you just get like a week's worth to try.

At the very least, get plain Oxycodone instead of Percocet. No need to pay extra for cheap old Tylenol. Also, 40mg of Oxycodone a day really isn't all that much, so don't worry about your tolerance level just yet. Worry when you get to where *I* am, when a 60mg dose doesn't relieve your pain. Blech. I honestly wish that my reason for such a high tolerance was abuse, so at least there would be a good reason. But no, I just quickly went from 5mg to 7.5mg (ha! I remember the first time I took the 7.5mg and it made me nauseous because it was too powerful - oh, the good old days) and then to 10mg, then 20mg, etc. It's been 3.5 years, but my tolerance scares me because doctors are so reluctant to prescribe such high doses. However, it's not something I can control - when a dose doesn't relieve my pain and doesn't have any bad side effects (my meds don't make me high), it's clear that I need a higher dose. I'm not sure what I can do to help that, except suffer at lower doses...and I'm not really crazy about suffering. Go figure. I guess if my stress level was lowered, I need less pain medication, although I don't just have FM, I also have back problems, carpal tunnel, and thoracic outlet. Wheeee!

Anyway, write again and tell us what you decided to get and if it helped. I'm sure any of the long-acting pain meds will have you feeling better than your 5/325s. So,!
  14. lukelinnmark

lukelinnmark New Member

When I first started taking percocet I thought it was going to be a strong pain medication and was I wrong.I was lucky if it kept my pain level down for an hour and now I'm lucky if it works 20 mins. Does anybody think it would be to much to ask my doctor if he could give me four 40mg. oxycontin perday plus something for break thru pain since I have such a high tolerance to pain meds.? My last visit with him he ask how the percocets where doing and I told him ok,but I think he could tell it wasn't doing to well.I just didn't want him to think I was an addict and cut me off everything.I've never had to take pain meds. before, because i've never been in this much pain all my life and don't no why it takes so much pain medicine to keep my pain level down.My insurance has changed now and I think it will cover 120-40mg. oxycontins every 25 days and something for break thru pain if needed.I'll let you all no what he puts me on and if it helps.Something has got to change its hard to deal with all this pain all the time as you all no.Anybody have anymore advice let me no,I can use all the help I can get.Thank You all so much.Mark
  15. PAIN do I know it well, my dr gives me vicodin 750 but it doesn't help anymore for some reason. My is a nerve pain, I already take lyrica. Everything I take helps at first then nothing. I actually got out my tens machine for my back/hips and even was so desperate and got out some peach snapps. It took the edge off, I am not a drinker but hey you gotta do what u gotta do. What pill would be next after vicodin. Mark thanks for this t hread. good luck to u.
  16. hermitlady

hermitlady Member

I just quickly read thru this thread and thought I'd add my experience.

Hydrocodone (Vicodin and Norco) have been the only pain meds that have helped me without causing drowsiness. The main problem has been needing to increase my dosage again and again. I also didn't realize how dependent my body had become to this stuff...I had a really rough time if I missed any doses.

I started worrying about taking so much, and I wanted to cut down on the amt I was taking. After discussing this with him, my Dr gave me an rx for Methadone to try (actually started at 20mg, but I found 10mg to be enough for me, that's once a day).

It's helped so much, I no longer have to keep watching the clock, waiting for my next Norco fix. The Methadone actually is a 24hr pain med and also helps w the dependence issue I was having w the Norco.

I still am able to take up to 4 Norco 10/325 daily for breakthru pain, but don't always need it. And I don't feel worse like I used to when the Norco wears off. I didn't realize that a lot of the pain waves that were occurring during the day was due to the Norco wearing off and my body craving more, it was a constant roller coaster. I am now feeling much better w the Methadone constantly doing it's job.

I do know that I would have to go thru withdrawals w Meth just like other opiods, but it's working great for now. Supposedly, your body doesn't become tolerant to it like some of the other pain meds. It's been 2 months and so far so good.

Just thought I'd throw another idea out there for you. Hope something works out better for you. Quality of Life is an important thing!

xxxooo Hermit
  17. pitoune

pitoune New Member

Unfortunatly for me, I don't tolerate meds very well and let me tell you, I've tried many of them. As far as I'm concerne, I would not go with patches. I was put on the Fentenyl Patch 25 mg years ago which I was suppose to keep on for 3 days. When I got back from the pharmacy, I put one on but was still in severe pain so I called back the pharmacy and they told me it was ok to take a Tylenol to ease some of my pain until the patch would start to take effect so that's what I did and went to bed. The next morning, I was so drugged up, I could not do anything or even stand. By noon, my hubby thought it was late enough for me to be in bed and decided to come upstairs to wake me. He found me unconcious on the floor in the hall. I was rushed to the hospital in intensive care. They thought I had OD'd but that was not the case at all. I'm actually allergic to the tape. So if you have any intolerance to band-aid or any thing that stick to your skin, I would not go that route. I know I'll never try anything that comes in the form of a patch again.

You should still try to get your meds up cause the dosage you're taking is really low. You seem to have a good doctor so I hope he can help you with this.

18. DemonFairy

DemonFairy New Member

****I am not a doctor. I'm not telling anyone what to take. I'm just giving my opinion based on my own experiences w/ Oxycontin and Oxycodone****

I think 4 40mg Oxycontins w/ breakthrough meds is much too big a jump for you from your 5/325 Percocets. I think you might want to start with 10mg Oxycontins (at the most, 20mg) w/ breakthrough meds. Your tolerance really isn't as high as you think it is.

Also, yes, the allergy to adhesive is a problem with some people with the patches, but if you don't have that allergy, the patch is a nice option. Although, it depends on where you live and what your lifestyle is like because sweating/heat will make the drug release more quickly and it won't work like it's supposed to, but you can talk to your doctor about that.

I do think that if your insurance will cover it, Oxycontin is a good place for you to start, because you already know that Oxycodone at the right dose can relieve your pain. I think it makes sense to try a higher dose of the med you know already works than to try something completely new as an experiment. You shouldn't need 4 long-acting Oxys a day - the dose is supposed to last 12 hours (but usually doesn't, of course), but it definitely can last you 8 hours, especially if you have b/t meds. So, three Oxycontins/day would probably be the absolute maximum I'd shoot for if I was you. Maybe you can talk to your doctor about trying 10mg for a week, and if that doesn't work, you can get your dosage upped. But, I would hate for you to start on too high of a dose because feeling nauseous for 8 hours isn't going to be fun and it'll also unnecessarily increase your tolerance and you don't want that. Also, adding Advil as a b/t med has helped me and helped my prescription meds work longer/better.

Believe me, I'm not one of those people who ordinarily suggests lower doses for people, but you've only been taking, I believe, a total of 40mg/day of Oxycodone with your current meds. It would be too much to jump to quadruple that in a long-acting med PLUS adding the breakthrough meds. From experience, I know that you'll absolutely get sick from taking that much. So, please start lower, even if it's just a weeklong experiment (I think your doctor would be willing to try it this way, especially since most doctors prefer to prescribe lower doses anyway), and then move up if that's not taking care of the pain long-term. You'll have your breakthrough meds to help you if the dose ends up being much too low. But, when the dose is much too high, at the minimum you'll be nauseous and maximum...well, you know. So, starting with 10 or 20mg Oxycontins twice a day is safer for you. Some people actually DO get 12 hours of relief, especially when they first start the meds, although you may end up needing them 3x/day.

****I am not a doctor. I'm not telling anyone what to take. I'm just giving my opinion based on my own experiences w/ Oxycontin and Oxycodone****

(Wanna know high tolerance? I take 2-3 30mg Oxycodone every six hours and it doesn't completely relieve my pain, nor does it make me nauseous. My partner, who started taking pain meds years before I did has just recently moved up to 15mg every 8 hours. So, basically my medication metabolism is a freak of nature. Unlike some people have suggested, I'm not an addict, and I don't take my meds for fun. I don't get a single bit of a high from them, and not even my partner who is with me 24/7 can tell when I've taken my pain meds, except that about an hour after I've taken them, I usually quit whining about being in pain. ;) )

We've both taken Methadone (a great medication when you're only costs $13/month paying cash) and it worked well for pain relief, but I had to quit taking it after a month because of some weird side effect that bothered my bladder. I didn't have any trouble weaning off of it. However, my partner took it for maybe a year and she's never had trouble weaning off any meds (not even Effexor, which is known for causing weaning problems), but Methadone wasn't any easy wean and caused her a few weeks of pretty nasty symptoms. So, I wouldn't go to Methadone except as a last resort related to finances or if other meds weren't working. I think it's a good pain med and if you don't intend to ever get off of it, I wouldn't hesitate to take it. But, lots of people have trouble weaning off it and while I didn't have any trouble after a month of taking it, my partner was pretty miserable and she's never had that kind of reaction to getting off any other med...and she's weaned off Oxycontin, Effexor, Cymbalta, etc.

Okay, I've blathered on enough. But, I wanted to make sure that you didn't set yourself up for a miserable period of being sick from too much Oxycontin. I doubt that your doctor would let you jump that high dosage-wise anyway, but just in case, I want you to know what to expect. I'm really glad that you have a doctor that's willing to work with you - they're a rare breed, so hang on to him.
  19. lukelinnmark

lukelinnmark New Member

The reason I was going to ask to up my dose to 3 or 4 40mg. oxycontin a day, is because one of my friends gave me a 40 to try and see if it help me and it did for about 6hrs. and I never had any nausea or high from it at all.And when I first started seeing my doctor he wanted to put me on the patch and morphine for breakthru pain and I said no,I thought it would be to much to start out on and don't want to od from it.I really don't no wheather or not to tell him I tryed an oxycontin from a friend,I don't want him to think I'm an addict,I just want somethink that is going to work for me without all the tylonol in it.And like all you have said i think the patch is a bad choice of drug.I'll see what the doctor says and let you all no what he puts me on and if it works,I'm really tirered of trying so many meds. and they don't work for me.And by the way I have tried methodone and it made me really sick,I couldn't take that 1.Thanks for all the help,anybody has any thing else to add feel free need all the help I can get.Thank You!Mark
  20. Beadlady

Beadlady Member

help with my Fibro pain.

100 mg tramadol 3 times a day

I'm suppose to take 200 mg of neurotin 3 times a day, but it makes me sleepy, so days I work I only take 100 mg for my afternoon dose and then will take another 100 mg a few hours later.

I also take 5 mg hydrocodone as needed 2 times a day but lately I've noticed that is not enough so I take 1 and 1/2--so I guess basically that is a 7.5. Going to ask my dr. the next time I go in if she will increase my dose for 7.5. A couple of times when I was in a horrible flare I took one of my husb's 10 vicodins and it made me itch a bit--so I think that is too high for me.