Question About Provigil for Anyone Taking It

Discussion in 'Fibromyalgia Main Forum' started by pat460, Feb 21, 2007.

1. pat460

pat460 New Member

Hi,

I am very interested in Provigil. Would you mind telling me about your experience with Provigil(ie. how long have you taken it and how much, noticed any side effects at all, how much has it helped you and what can you do now that you couldn't do, does the effects lessen with time, and just anything you can think of about it)? I asked my doctor to try it but he put me on Cymbalta instead. That did help some at first, then my energy seemed to get less. It also irritated my IBS until I finally took myself off it. Did you have any problems getting your doctor to prescribe Provigil and was it a GP who gave it to you? Forgive me for asking so many questions but I am sick and tired of being sick and tired!

Thankyou, pat460
    [This Message was Edited on 02/21/2007]
  2. maryld

maryld New Member

I hope you don't mind me answering since you directed the question towards tngirl....i have been on provigil for months now and it has been a miracle drug for me. I do know everyone reacts different so this has been my experience. At first it made me feel a little agitated but i stuck with it and once my body got use to it (a couple days) i fell in love with the energy it gives me. I have been doing things i havent done in three years...housework, painting, shopping and best of all playing with my kids! I take 600mg a day. I started out with only 100mg in the morning but that didn't do much at all. I now take 200mg around 6:30am, 200mg around 1pm and then my last dose of 200mg around 5pm. It doesn't keep me up at night at all and i have had no bad effects from it since the beginning. There has been a couple of days i haven't had it to take and wow what a difference....i was exhausted!!! I hope you get a chance to try it and it works for you. Let me know if you have any other questions.Take care and i hope you are hanging in there. Mary
  3. pat460

pat460 New Member

Thanks so much. Had to change it to get more answers.

Thankyou for answering. pat460
  4. TXFMmom

TXFMmom New Member

I generally just take 100 to 200 mg. around 9 in the morning and it gives me tremendous help in being mentally alert and some stamina.

My insurance company is a pig about things, but they will pay for this, with a $45.00 co-pay. It has become an accepted treatment for those with non-restorative sleep, as well as narcolepsy, for which it was developed.

I would say give it a try, and ask your doc to speak to the rep to his office, which represents the maker of Provigil for a sample pack, and be very, very nice. These drug reps will do ANYTHING FOR DOCTORS.

Then, you could decide whether to try it and try to get the insurance, if you have it, to pay for it.

One tip. Many people can take just 100mg. and get help, but have the doc order 200 mg. and then split it, to get the most for your co-pay.