Question about ringworm

Discussion in 'Fibromyalgia Main Forum' started by PepperGirl52, Oct 9, 2005.

1. PepperGirl52

PepperGirl52 New Member

I have a ringworm, just one that I can find, anyway. It's on my right arm. Weird, that after all the years of being a school nurse, and dealing with the wrestlers who constantly had ringworm, I never once got it!

But now, probably because of my immune system?? I don't know. ANYway, it's driving me nuts! Itching like crazy! I've been using the topical anti-fungal (tinnactin), not helping. Got some black walnut extract yesterday and have started using that, externally, as well as internally.

Another thing I noticed is that I have felt like I have the flu. Very fatigued-more than usual, in a terrible fibro flare, with chills, etc. Think it has anything to do with this?? And I'm not just itching at the site, either. I'm itching ALL OVER, ALL NIGHT!

Any help would be GREATLY apprecitated! I'm sure I won't be able to get in to see my PCP until later in the week, and I totally do not trust the docs at the urgent care close to my house. So....THANKS! PG
  2. JPach007

JPach007 New Member

Hi PG,
    You may want to try an oatmeal based bath before bedtime to help with the itching, and probably will help with the chills too. We also give dogs Benedryl sometimes for itching...maybe you could try that...
    Good luck!
    Jessica
  3. kbak

kbak Member

Hi,
    Try using tea tree oil. Suppose to stop the itch and kill the parasite. I would dab some undiluted, on all your ringworm areas. Boy, hope you get relief soon!
  4. sweetedge

sweetedge New Member

Use Lamisil Cream for a week and it will knock it out. Tinnactin will only inhibit the growth of the fungus. Lamisil will actually kill the fungus.
  5. PepperGirl52

PepperGirl52 New Member

I appreciate that! I have never dealt with this personally, so didn't know what to do!

I will definitely take that to heart!! THANKS!! PG
  6. huckee

huckee New Member

Not to be gross but - For years I have broken out with these small red round patches that are somewhat raised and then they turn into a scaly patch and can be very itchy, annoying and embarrising. I usually get them on my upper arms and legs. It seemed that I usually got them in winter more than summer. I had other GP's look at them and just tell me it was severe dry skin. Now the rest of the story. We just got some barn kittens and they had ring worm. I coincidentally had more dry patches than normal. I also have used the antifungal creams. The GP that diagonosed me with FM looked at them and said they were just one more lovely symptom of FM, but it definitely wasn't ringworm (which I thought for sure I had). My kittens are way over the ringworm and I'm still getting patches. Non of the antifungal creams worked. It seemed like the spray might have helped but honestly I just think aloe did better. If it was ringworm any of that antifungal stuff should have helped. I swear my are related to stress. More stress - more patches. That's my 2 cents on this icky subject. I'm glad I'm not the only one!
  7. twister425

twister425 New Member

hi
    my daughter got ringworm from our kitten and the dr gave her Diflucan. this is used for yeast infections. it did the job! good luck
  8. kat-E

kat-E New Member

I was the same way when I had it last spring. I itched all over and ended up with it in about 20 different spots. All in all, it took about 3 months to clear up all the different patches. A couple were particularly stubborn and took a couple months to completely heal. Use the Lamisil til the ring is gone, not just til the center clears. Needless to say buy the big tube, it is worth the extra expense.

Start using it right away if you get a new spot. They usually start out as a small bump kind of like a pimple that pops then it turns into the ring in a few days. Start on it immediately.

Someone told me to wash bedsheets and clothes everyday with Muleteam Borax and soap.

It is very funny that you would post this today. I am digging out my winter clothes and I am praying that I don't get it from my clothes. So... I am washing everything again in Borax
    just in case.

I am sure it would not hurt to be taking some garlic and acidophilus as they kill off yeasties.

Blessings to you
    [This Message was Edited on 10/09/2005]
  9. rigby

rigby New Member

the best thing I have found over the years is vinager out of the kitchen cabinet use it about 4X a day just dap it on really burns at first in a few days it is gone.
  10. jaltair

jaltair New Member

I've had two bouts with ringworm after starting my allergy shots many years back, and I worked in the clinic and field with children as a public health nurse. I also had another lesion that could have been ringworm several months ago, although the doctor at an urgent care stated that it wasn't and that it wasn't contagious. Hmmm I wondered about that!

Because I worked at a clinic, I was able to get samples of good antifungal cream to use on the lesions. I would shower and then be very careful to not use a towel on the lesion on other parts of my body (they do spread). Then I used the antifungal cream, placed a gauze patch over the lesion so that it wouldn't come into contact with my clothing. At first, I would clean the area at least three times a day and apply the cream and then cover with the gauze. After about three days, I did did this routine twice a day. It was cleared up within a period of 10 days.

I remember that it itched something terrible. Very similar to herpes that I had (again after the allergy shots were started!).

Because of the outbreaks of ringworm and the outbreaks of herpes that I had after starting the allergy injections, I'm convinced that these are related to the immune system function. The OTC medications are ok if it's mild. However, it sounds like you may need something a little more potent that would require Rx. I'd go for a visit to the urgent care to get a Rx for what's going on.

I'd advise a shower over a bath as sitting in water might make the problem worse. Fungus loves wet and warm. A shower and then an OTC cream such as Clotrimazole (Lotrimin, Mycelex), Miconazole (Micatin), or Terbinafine (Lamisil) would work better than a spray right now.

Here is an article from CNN that I found on the topic of what might cause a person to be more at risk.

"Those at increased risk of ringworm include people with weakened immune systems, such as people with diabetes or HIV/AIDS. If you have atopic dermatitis, a chronic, inherited skin disease characterized by itchy, inflamed skin, you may be more susceptible to ringworm. The barrier in your skin that normally protects you from viral, bacterial and fungal infections is often weakened or compromised. Some people may be genetically prone to this type of infection."

Hope this helps. Take care!

Warm wishes, Jeannette