Question about salt and low blood pressure

Discussion in 'Fibromyalgia Main Forum' started by Michelle_NZ, Nov 5, 2006.

1. Michelle_NZ

Michelle_NZ New Member

Hi folks

I've been adding salt to my diet and taking licorice for about 7 months now. I've managed to increase my BP from 80/50 to 120/80 which I am very happy about.

I'm wondering -do I need to keep taking the extra salt?

Cheers
    Michelle
  2. Windytalker

Windytalker Member

Standard table salt doesn't contain any minerals...other than perhaps iodine. If you can, try to get a "natural" sea salt. I use Celtic salt..it has a great flavor and is very beneficial. But, it doesn't contain iodine which is good for your thyroid. So, use a little of each.

If salt helps keep your pressure up, I wouldn't stop.

Hope this helps...
  3. beachwalkerbill

beachwalkerbill New Member

I had that problem a few years ago. It was due to taking a MOAI. The doc called a pharmacologist who said salt.I had previuosly removed salt from my diet all together so I took salt tablets. A few years later I troped that drug and the salt tablets. It sure beats taking another drug to raise your BP.
  4. Michelle_NZ

Michelle_NZ New Member

Yes, I've been using natural sea salt, and also normal table salt on my food.

I guess I was concerned that my BP would keep going up and then I would have a problem with hyper instead of hypo.

thanks everyone
    Michelle
  5. Gothbubbles

Gothbubbles New Member

I have low blood pressure too, about 70/40 (doctors keep telling me it's normal or good) my primary care doc put me on some drugs that were supposed to help raise it, but it just made me pee.

He told me not to skimp on salt and drink lots of water.

I'd keep up the salt.