QUESTION about Sciatica

Discussion in 'Fibromyalgia Main Forum' started by Lolalee, Sep 16, 2006.

1. Lolalee

Lolalee New Member

For the past few weeks I've been waking up in the morning with pain in my left leg all way the down to my foot. My foot feels numb and prickly or tingley(sp?). I can't lift my foot to take a step. Now it's happening to both legs.

I hobble around using a walker. After a few hours it gets better and by the end of the day I can walk, unless I push myself and then it flares up. Now my lower back is starting to ache.

Does anyone else have this problem? Does it sound like Sciatica? What it the best kind of doctor for Sciata? Chiropractors scare me...they always make me hurt more.

Thanks.

Lolalee
    [This Message was Edited on 09/17/2006]
  2. StephieBee

StephieBee New Member

My grandfather has severe sciatica. As far as I know, he sees an Orthopedist. It kinda doesnt make sense to me, but I also had a co-worker with it who also went to an Orthopedist.

They both have it starting in the butt muscles and all the way down the back of their legs.

Men are especially prone to it because they put their wallets in their back pockets. Doing this can also aggrevate it if they already have it.

Other than that, I have no first hand experience with Sciatica.

Take Care,
    Stephanie
  3. 143alan

143alan New Member

I have Sciata that radiates down both legs and severe low back pain. My pain is because of three messed up discs. It started out as just one disc and the pain and numbness was only after I stood for a while and then it only went to my thigh.

I would suggest going to an orthopedic doctor 1st. I listened to two of my co-workers who are addicted to going to the chiropractor and I started going. He Xrayed 1st and everything seemed like he knew what he was doing. He discovered I have a curve like -c- shape in my lumbar spine. He decided that he could "adjust" my spine back straight again which would eliminate the pain and numbness from the sciata. I went through several "adjustments" for about 3 weeks and was in more and more pain with each adjustment. He explained that my muscles had to adjust as well and the pain was my muscles being manipulated. It got to where I was in tears from the pain by the time I drove out of the parking lot.

I finally went to an orthopedic doctor because the pain just would not go away and it became tremendously painful to walk. After an Xray and an MRI it was discovered that the herniated disc ruptured and collapsed and 2 others were now herniated because of the "adjustments". I ended up having to see a neurosurgeon and he said that the chiropractor should have known better after seeing my x-rays that the adjustments were putting too much stress on an already injured disc causing it to collapse and when it collapsed it put too much pressure on the disc above and below it. Basically what started out to be a problem that could have been solved by in-and-out lazer surgery to clean up a herniated disc is now going to be at least a week in the hospital, 6-12 weeks of recovery after having major surgery to remove 3 disc and insert 1 rod 24 screws and 3 pins to reconstruct my spine.

That was probably more than you wanted to hear, just to say BE CAREFUL. Good luck, I sure hope everything goes well.
    [This Message was Edited on 09/17/2006]
  4. Lolalee

Lolalee New Member

Stephi - Thanks so much for responding to my post. I appreciate it.

Manager - That is pretty scarey. What a terrible experience. The last time I went to a Chiropractor, he said that my FMS was due to problems in my upper spine. He adjusted my neck so hard that I cried out and yes, I was in tears also. I never went back. So I can just imagine how you felt,but I'm so sorry that you now have to go through so much. I can understand you wanting to put it off, but is that a good idea? Loved your kitty picture..perfect name..Oreo.

Lolalee
  5. Redwillow

Redwillow New Member

I have had sciata off and on for years. It started when I was pregnant with my second child. Sitting in a car for a long drive sets it off for me now.

I have had good experiences with chiropractors. Yes that crunch when they adjusts your neck sounds really loud but in my case it was worth it.

I had my hips adjusted a lot over the years and that seems to settle the hip pain until I put it out of alinement again.

I recently saw a doctor about orthotics for my shoes. My ankles are weak and my arches collapse pulling my whole body out of alinement. I now have inserts that I wear in my shoes to stop my ankles from rolling inward.

This has really helped me as my ankles were out 14 degrees on my left foot and 9 degrees on my right. The doctor explained that this was actually causing me to walk like one leg was shorter than the other.

Fortunately our private health insurance paid for most of the inserts as they were quite expensive.

hugs Marion (Redwillow)
  6. caffey

caffey New Member

It sounds like sciatica. I have the same thing. For me it is come from a herniated disc in my back. My personal opinion is to stay away from chiropractors. You should check with your doc and get some xrays or an MRI done. When you are in bed you can try putting a pillow under your knees and heat may help.
    All the best.
  7. misskoji

misskoji Member

I don't have a clue where I read this, but somewhere it said sciatica is very much a part of FM. For those of us with back problems and FM, oh man!

Just wanted to let you know I and I'm sure many more get this horrible pain and uncomfort.

Hope it vanishes soon!

Hugs,
    Deanna
  8. cjcookie

cjcookie New Member

doc and get epidurals which do help. Chiropractors can help me with my neck but they always make my back worse when they adjust it.

Sciatica can go as far down as your big toe. The sciatic nerve is my least favorite nerve in the body followed closely by the one that connects with the jaw and ear and makes me feel like I have an ear infection even when I don't!
  9. Lolalee

Lolalee New Member

bumping to see if anyone has trouble walking with sciatica
  10. sleepyinlalaland

sleepyinlalaland New Member

during most of my two pregnancies. I walked exactly like Walter Brennan (Beverly Hillbilies, for us old-timers).

I believe sciatica is related to FM in this sense: In FM the muscles are usually tensed in an inappropriate manner (awaiting fight or flight)...so it doesn't seem unusual that this out-of-proportion tension would trigger the pain of sciatica.

Although my pregnancy-related sciatica episodes were the WORST, I've also had them come from "nowhere". I'd guess it is the muscle tension, over which it's often hard (if not impossible) to control.

I think chiropractors are kind of a shot-in-the-dark, and if you don't know of one you'd trust...I think you should ask for a referral to a neurologist.

Wishing you well, Sleepy.