Question About SED Rate

Discussion in 'Fibromyalgia Main Forum' started by BlueSky555, Jul 18, 2006.

1. BlueSky555

BlueSky555 New Member

I looked up some of this information on the PC but still not completely sure what it means. All I got out of what I read was that it has something to do with inflamation in the body.

Mine is really high; not sure what it means. According to this paper C-Reactive Protein, Quant is 18.1H

If anyone can shed some light on this subjct, I would appreciate it.

Thank you all,

BlueSky555
  2. kjfms

kjfms Member

I am not sure if I will help or make it worse (I hope not) for you. Maybe someone will come along and add to mine.

Sedimentation Rate (Erythrocyte Sedimentation Rate) or Sed Rate measures how quickly red blood cells settle in a tube of blood. A high sed rate indicates some type of inflammation. However, the sed rate does not indicate whether the inflammation is long-term, like arthritis, or is due to the body fighting an infection.

The C-Reactive Protein test or CRP is another general test of inflammation. It rises and falls faster than the Sed Rate. High levels of CRP may be a sign of increased risk of heart attack.

I hope this helps a little.

Please discuss these results with your physician.

Wishing you the best of luck,

Karen :)

3. BlueSky555

BlueSky555 New Member

I did go to my Dr. today and more bloodwork was done. They will call me with the results tomorrow or next day.

Also, have already been put on high blood pressure medicine.

During my visit today, I didn't know what kind of questions to ask due to him requesting more bloodwork and also, having problems with heal; already had an injection in it and not sure what that problems is yet. I was put on iron tablets today so hopefully, that will help.

Again, thank you, and will keep you informed.

BlueSky555
  4. kjfms

kjfms Member

Oh I hope I didn't sound snippy or anything I just meant it is hard to know what he is looking for I guess I should have said that shouldn't I?

I would just ask him straight out what he is looking for or what he thinks is going on.

I hope everything works out and I do hope everything is OK.

Take care of you,

[This Message was Edited on 07/18/2006]
  5. BlueSky555

BlueSky555 New Member

Please don't worry or be concerned about your response. I'm fine and again, had more bloodwork yesterday. If it's something serious, I'm SURE they will let me know and we can get it "fixed".

I appreciate anyone's comments/opinion here or I wouldn't have asked. We all must realize that when we ask, then we will probably get some answers.

I posted that last night, then signed off and went to bed. Just now getting back on.

Hope you get this and again, Please don't be concerned; I'm fine.

Thank you,

BlueSky555
  6. kjfms

kjfms Member

I hope your test results come back OK I had to log off last night to get some sleep so I could go to work today. Had a very long day and it is almost bedtime again...LOL

Just wanted to wish you luck and to say that the site the other person is a good one for lab test.

Thanks,

7. Lisa76

Lisa76 New Member

Hi there-

I'm too confused about what exactly it means. I have had an elevated sed rate for almost a year now and the doctor just told me the inflammation thing too. I believe mine was 51, (a little more than double what it should be). I have extremely low blood pressure and low ferratin. I don't know how all of that is related but it's confusing and a bit scary. I try to take ibuprofin or aleve occasionally with the idea that it will reduce some of the inflammation in my body. I guess I don't really have info for you, I just relate to what you're going through.

Take Care
  8. BlueSky555

BlueSky555 New Member

when going to the Endrocinologist today about thyroid, that the nodules I have on my thyroid ARE in fact inflamation. I asked if it had anything to do with my CRP or CBC and he said no.

Now, I'm confused also,

Again, thank you all,

BlueSky555

PS: I WILL let you know what I find out about the bloodwork.