Question About Shopping For Groceries SSD

Discussion in 'Fibromyalgia Main Forum' started by BlueSky555, May 8, 2006.

1. BlueSky555

BlueSky555 New Member

I am filling out the papers from voc rehab, ssd and was asked how often and how long does it take to shop for groceries? This is a difficult question because I actually have NO idea and sometimes go to walmart supercenter and sometimes, regular grocery store. I have never timed myself and want to answer as truly as I can.

Anyone with any advice???

Also, do you need special reminders for grooming etc.? What kind of reminders would you need for these?

Just curious on this one.

Thanks to anyone who responds, and to those who don't.

Take Care Everyone!

BlueSky555
  2. suzette1954

suzette1954 New Member

can go now compared to how it was before. I used to go to 3-4 stores for sales or special items and now Imlucky if I get to one store and make it through it. Ive hit the brick wall before and had to ask help putting the groceries on the checkout lane. I always have to have one of them carry my groceries to the car, and I have to have someone at home to bring them up from the car. You always want to use your worse days when filling the papers.

You need to sit down with a paper and pen and write down everything you can no longer do before putting it on the SSD form. The grooming, Have you quit taking baths and someone has to remind you, or have you quit dressing or combing your hair? Can you tie shoes or have to wear slip on shoes now. Can you button or zip or do you need help. YOu have to let them know that you are no longer able to work and using your worst days now on the form, may be an everyday experience in the future. My fibro is progressive and when I filled out the first papers, there are things now that I could do then.

Hope this helps alittle. You need to get a lawyers or someone to help you with this. There are some here who have been trying to get SSD for many years.

love,Suzette
  3. 69mach1

69mach1 New Member

i told them i only picked up a few things at a time...and had them take bags to my car for me...then my son carried them in for me...spent maybe 10 minutes in the store then home...

grooming...yes i have had to have my son tell me to take a shower...i was so depressed and just didn't care...i would clean the private areas w/baby wipes or wash clothes...

so you could say you have had a friend come over and talk you into takeing a shower...i do not know what all your problems are..i should've read your bio first but will go do that...

i hope this helps

jodie
  4. Roseblossom

Roseblossom Member

Suzette - excellent, specific advice... very helpful.

Bluesky, at a time during the day when your brain works best, think about your worst days and how time-consuming things are.

I just went to the grocery store late last night, got home and realized it had taken me about 2 hours.

Of course, that's partly because I rode around on the little electric cart so I was able to get everything on my list.

Rseblossom
  5. lil_angel1198

lil_angel1198 New Member

me at least 3 hours to get my grocery shopping done...and my husband goes with me to help me. He has to get all the things that are heavy, to too low or too high on the shelves for me. After there is a bit in the cart, he also has to push it for me, as it's too heavy for em to do it.
    He loads all the stuff onto the belt for me, and then he puts all the bags into the cart, pushes them to the car, and loads them all into the car. When we get home, he and my kids carry them in and put them away....I usually have to nap for a while by the time we get home. Then either he or the kids make dinner, or we end up ordering out because I can't fix dinner.

As for showers, I do that everyday, even when I don't feel like it. I usually have to sit for a while after I get out though. Then when I dry my hair, it takes less than 10 minutes because my hairstyle is kind of short, so I just fluff it a bit. I dress in soft, loose fitting clothes everyday. I only do my makeup if I am going out of the house.