Question about social security process

Discussion in 'Fibromyalgia Main Forum' started by 3sa, Oct 8, 2008.

1. 3sa

3sa New Member

I tried reading the sticky at the top, but to be honest I got confused. I applied in July, filled out additional paperwork work they sent me , about what I could & could not do. Today i received a letter with a Dr. appt. My question is , Is this the normal process? I'm in Phoenix AZ. I'm trying to not get my hopes up. We are losing our house this month. We've been here 14 years. We are selling everything we own & moving to AR,to be closer to my mother in law. My husband is worried about her. She lost her husband last Feb.Sorry rambling. I'm just hoping that I'm getting closer.
    What is the mental part like?
    Thanks ,
  2. robin1667

robin1667 New Member

Hi Theresa,
    First of all, I am so sorry to hear that you are losing your home. I'm sure your family is devestated.I'm sure your mother in law will be very happy to have all of you close by. We came very close to losing ours this yr. It could still happen if this economy doesn't change!
    I got SSD recently, they sent me to a Dr. also. He just asked about my depression, my upbringing,my family life, my pain,my back problems. Asked me to spell my first name backwards.
    When I went into his office he said that most people are scared to come to the appt. because they are scared and he was happy I showed up. I told him I didn't have anything to be scared about! Just be honest with them and it will go alright.
    I think it's a good sign that they are sending you to this Dr. This Dr. will send his review to SSD with his opinion. It's a step closer.
    From what I've read on this board some had more of a evaluation than I did. For me it was like sitting down and talking to an old friend. He made me feel very comfortable.
    Good Luck, let us know how it goes. Robin

3. jenn_c

jenn_c New Member

I am sosorry you are losing your house. As forthe SSDI process, you are following the exact way mine went. I filed in April, they had me fill add'l paperwork about what I could and could not do, they sent me to a doctors appt and in August I received my approval letter.

I hope yours ends thesamewayas mine. Good luck. Jenn
  4. 3sa

3sa New Member

It took a little while , but I'm okay with the move, sort of. I'm leaving my two grown kids here & it is so hard. Thanks for the ss info. I'm just hoping it goes well. My poor husband sure could use the help.He's been working 2 full time jobs just to try to get by. Keeping my fingers crossed. Feeling a little sad right now so I think I'll go do laundry.
    Thanks again everybody. Without this forum I wouldn't make it most days.
  5. landra

landra New Member

Of course that is not what the list is called, but I cannot think of it. Somethings that CLEARLY make you unable to work are on the list and can be approved without too much time/paperwork. Depression is on that list - which is why some people are approved on depression - even if it is a result of CFS and FM.

Clear medical records are also important, so be sure you get a doctor when you get to AZ who can document your continuing inability to work.
  6. Hootie1

Hootie1 New Member

I was approved for depression, anxiety, NOS (another type of depression or anxiety) and then lastly FM.

7. 3sa

3sa New Member

I also have type 2 diabetes, anxiety,and I weigh 310 @ 5'5". I'm hoping that with FM combined with the above will nudge me towards approval.If not, well then I'll cross that bridge we I get to it.
  8. akandmk

akandmk New Member

I am at the beginning of this process but it is for my autistic son, not myself. We turned in a lot of paperwork from different sources stating that he is autistic and we're hoping that we'll get approved. our case worker said it looks like we might be approved and it can take 30-90 days and the reason for the longer days is that they'll need more information from some people. I'm taking an online course to become a pharmacy tech so I'll stave off SSI until later if I need it. Good luck and let us know how things are going.