Question About SSD ?? Please Help

Discussion in 'Fibromyalgia Main Forum' started by Ellie5748, Apr 25, 2003.

1. Ellie5748

Ellie5748 New Member

I don't post much, because there are too many days that I just feel like crap. I was dx with fibro a few years back, and have never really been able to work for long periods of time. By this, I mean like six months? Things are really tight and my daughter moved back home with my grandson because she can't afford to live on her own. There just never seems to be enough money, know what I mean? Here's the catch. I haven't worked long enough to earn work credits, so I don't know where I stand. Can anyone point me in the right direction? Thank you in advance. I'm in a bad flare right now and just can't think straight. I'm going to be 52 in May, but I know that I've had this DD since my early twenty's. Thanks again.

Regards,

Ellen

2. allhart

allhart New Member

people who dont have enough work cridets apply for ssi
    do a web search for the social security web site they have all the info on how to apply
  3. JLH

JLH New Member

If you do not have enough work credits, you are not eligible for SSDI.

Call your local Social Security office and talk with them about SSI. SSI is a low income type of disability. The SS office can tell you if you are eligible or not.

Have your daughter check on eligibility of Welfare benefits. I think each state has an insurance program for children. I know our local county health department has information about it--ours is called KCHIP, which stands for Kentucky Childrens Health Insurance Program -- I think each state just puts their initial in front of the CHIP.

If your daughter's children are young, your local health department probably has a lot of other benefits available to the children. I know health departments have a host of benefits available because my husband is the Administrator of our local county health department.

At least if you can not qualify for SSI, maybe your daughter can lighten your burden by obtaining as many benefits available to her as possible. Even if she is working, she may be able to qualify for these benefits.

I am also 52 and feel pretty bad every day due to the fibro and a host of other serious medical problems. I would be crying a flood if my daughter and her children moved back home!!! I love them dearly, but it is so hectic and stressful when all of them are here, I'm ready to smile when I wave good-bye to them!

Bless you and I hope you're able to work something out that helps you and your family.
  4. Bacci

Bacci New Member

SSI can be a bear to deal with. I have been doing it for a couple of years and have yet to get anywhere. Unfortunately I had been taking pre-requisite courses to get into a Master's Program, then got into the program for a few years and didn't work for almost five years straight because of school. Because I hardly paid anything in, I am entitled to less than $200 a month--impossible to live on, esp in California. The max amt that others are entitled to is around $790 here. So you may want to try calling SSI and have them give you the dollar amount that you are entitled to. They have that information. Then you can decide if the whole process is worth it. I am still trying because I am hoping for insurance coverage as well. Anyone who thinks we try to get SSI for the money is seriously insane!!!

Good Luck!
    Bacci