Question about SSDI (payments for kids)

Discussion in 'Fibromyalgia Main Forum' started by Hootie1, May 20, 2008.

1. Hootie1

Hootie1 New Member

I will have my ALJ hearing sometime by the end of 2008. I am curious about payments. If I were to win, I know that i would get backpay, but what about back pay and monthly payments for my son?

I gave them all of his information and am aware that if I would win SSDI that I could get payment for him, but how does that work? Does it go in a special fund for him or would I get it directly?

I hope that at some point in time I might manage to win SSDI- we all hope for that and I'm wondering how this works.

Thanks in advance for any information.
  2. dafoefan

dafoefan New Member

Last year I received my backpay direct deposit. My son's backpay was sent by check.

The monthly payments for myself continue to be added to my checking account by direct deposit.

The Government asks that you keep a separate account for your child. I was able to sign up for direct deposit for him after the process got going.

I recently was sent a form to explain how much of his money was used, what for, and how much was still in the account. He will be 18 in November, so I don't know if I'll have to do that again.

3. Hootie1

Hootie1 New Member

Thanks for this information. How interesting that they ask about how we spend it.

I had planned to use the back pay toward credit cards that I have had to charge!!!

What a joke that they ask how it was used!!!! Don't they get it that we are all on bankrupcy's door!!
  4. findmind

findmind New Member

I'm guessing they want to know how it is used in order to make sure we don't spendthrift it, and then qualify for Medicaid once it's all gone.

I would make out a budget and figure out how much each family member would have to contribute to make ends meet (include everything; house pmts, ins. and taxes, or rent, utilities, groceries, gas, auto payments, charge cards if not used for luxury items, etc.) Then I would make sure that amount of money plus extras the child needs for school, extra activities, music lesson, karate, clothes, whatever, is transferred monthly by automatic deposit into my account.

It is not JUST "for" the child; it is for the child's maintenance and best welfare.

5. justlooking

justlooking New Member

In my case my kids money went directly into my bank account and they didn't require a separate bank account for them.

They didn't inquire about how I spent my kids back pay but they have done a yearly inquiry about how the monthly payments are spent. It is a hassle and you are required to keep every receipt in case they audit you on your spending.
    I guess they do it to ensure people aren't squandering away the money given to the kids for support.

Any money not used for their care must be kept in an account for future use for the childs support. In my audits I account for the money by healthcare, dental care, activities or memberships, prescriptions, school supplies and school uniforms. But you can account for their money by a portion of living costs too, such as rent, food, utilities, etc.

they are pretty strict with their expectations on spending of childrens monthly payments and any that is saved will be present on the next years inquiry!!! Be sure to keep track of everything and keep it handy. It is a pain in the backside!!!!!!!!!

Just be prepared, keep receipts.
    Good luck
  6. obrnlc

obrnlc New Member

hi hootie--

i had an interesting experience--
    i qualified for yrs 2003-2007, but didn't receive approval or money til 2007.
    by then, both of my kids were over 18 and out of high school, but they were paid for the years they were in high school til grad./age 18, and since they got if after, it came by check in their names individually, under their own SS#, for the years 2003-2005/06, so it was a little different, and has DESTROYED their financial aid for the coming year, even tho it was for their support for earlier years.

ALSO--it did not add up to the amount on my ss statements that kids could receive,(family max) as the catch word for that is "UP TO", so in reality, they only got about 50% of what they could have (and i thought should and would have) received.

it has been quite a challenge to explain to colleges and financial aid people that even tho they RECEIVED large cash sums in 2007, it was really for their support in 03-05, and did not actually go into a "windfall" account that they all think that it did, since i owed it all, plus about double the amount (!!!) in debts to keep our home and finances together for 4 years!

good luck with your hearing!!---L
  7. mylilcherub428

mylilcherub428 New Member

they send u a book about what u can spend your kids $ on I got mine a year after we got our money.

on the form for what your child money was spent on they wanna know how much of it was spent on the child so I put the whole amoount which I beleive it was dance daycare you can include living expenses even stuff u buy for the house couts as stuff that is also for them furniature tv's etc

if you open them a savings it has to be done a special way and they can not topuch it till they are 18 i also think there may be a limit on how much u can put in it.

I do not think it is anything to stress over and saw nothing about saving reciepts I mean the money can go for gas for driving them and electricity and rent I can barely get by so if they question they are stupid I am poor and my daughter is still spoiled-Kim
  8. Hootie1

Hootie1 New Member

Thank you all for taking the time to reply to me! Boy, I really need to win this but I am so super worried!!!!