Question about st vitus dance or am I on wrong board?

Discussion in 'Fibromyalgia and ME & Chronic Fatigue Syndrome' started by hiyouall, Apr 9, 2004.

1. hiyouall

hiyouall New Member

Hi I'am new to this board but I usally go to the depression board. I was looking on the internet for information on st vitus dance and was told I could come here. My mother was a foster child but she found out who her biologial mother was. My mother as since passed away so I can't ask her but she was told her real mom and aunt had st. vitus dance. Does anyone know what that that is? And is it hereditary? The only thing I know is it has something to do with the heart.
  2. dash

dash New Member

St. Vitus Dance is a form of chorea, a neurological disorder that is result of a strep infection. People who contract St. Vitus'Dance, often also contract Rheumatic Fever and Rheumatic Heart Disease. All three of these are sorts of autoimmune responses to strep infections. Each one produces symptoms that effect different body systems.

St. Vitus Dance causes spastic movements and spasms. Suffers may develop tics.(If treated these symptoms for the most part disappear. Rheumatic fever attacks the skeletal system and causes joints to become inflammed and swell.
    Rheumatic Heart Disease attacks the heart valves, the damage done by this disease does not go away. Rest and antibiotc therapy are essential in the treatment of all three diseases.

I have had all three simaltaneously as a child. The chorea produced jerky movements in my body, clumsiness, and a lack of coordination. Ordinarily these symptoms are not present
    but I feel that when I very tired or sick sometimes my hands shake, or I experience a spasm.

These diseases are not herditary. However, they do appear to crop up in certain families. Researchers have discovered that some people are more genetically suspectible to strep infections-sort of strep sensitive. My family members were more vunerable to contracting strep and our infections were more difficult to treat. Giving the body a more opportunity to have these automimmune reactions.

This is a clinical definition of St. Vitus Dance:
    Sydenham chorea, also called St. Vitus dance, is a childhood movement disorder characterized by rapid, irregular, aimless, involuntary movements of the muscles of the limbs, face, and trunk. The disorder, which is considered a manifestation of rheumatic fever (streptococcal infection), typically has an onset between the ages of 5 and 15. Girls are affected more often than boys. The symptoms may appear gradually or suddenly, and may include muscle weakness, hypotonia (decreased muscle tone), and clumsiness. The symptoms vary in severity--from mild cases in which there is restlessness, facial grimacing, and a slight degree of incoordination of movements, to severe cases involving involuntary movements that incapacitate the child. The disorder may strike up to 6 months after the fever or infection has cleared. The chorea is believed to result from an autoimmune mechanism that occurs when the streptococcal infection causes the body to make antibodies to specific brain regions

I hope this helps. If you have questions, post again and I'll try to anser them.

Della
  3. Darlene72

Darlene72 Member

Hello,
    I read this last night and I have been trying to register on here to speak with you Della. I see it's been a while since this post was written but if you are still on here, can you please get back to me?