Question about TENS unit?

Discussion in 'Fibromyalgia Main Forum' started by mommyinpain, Nov 3, 2006.

1. mommyinpain

mommyinpain New Member

Has anyone ever used their TENS unit on theri ribs for costo pain. I'm referring to the front and side ribs as well as the back?

Also, how long can you use the unit at one time. What I mean is if I use it on one area for 15 minutes, can I then move it to another area for another 15 minutes immediately or do I have to wait awhile?

Any info. greatly appreciated.

Thanks, MIP
  2. mommyinpain

mommyinpain New Member

3. mommyinpain

mommyinpain New Member

Desertsage. Do you ever use yours on your ribs?
  4. granny1353

granny1353 New Member

You can use it where ever you want for aas long as you want and you can move around. Some days I have mine on my back for the whole day (10 hours) without removing it and I am gone the whole day shopping or whatever.

Mine has where I can put 4 patches on at a time, so I put two on one side and two on the other, sometimes it is the only way I can go anywhere.

Hope this helps
    Granny
  5. joyfully

joyfully New Member

YOU CAN'T JUST PUT THE PATCHES ANYWHERE! The patches CAN NOT be placed over your heart area OR have one patch on one side of your heart, and the other patch on the opposite side of your heart.

Your heart operates on something like electric impulses; you could get in BIG TROUBLE if the current from the TENS machine overrides these normal nerve signals to the heart.

you can leave the patches on all day, but I wouldn't use the TENS machine longer than 20 or 30 minutes at a time in any one area. Yes, you can start another area after doing the first area. Does your TENS unit only have 2 patches?

You can do 2 areas (4 patches ) simultaneously.

If your TENS has the ability to control the strength of the "zaps", then consider turning up the controls as your body acclimates during each session. Always clear this type of advice with your doctor first, because I obviously don't know all of your medical history.

Do you use heat before and after using the TENS machine?
  6. mommyinpain

mommyinpain New Member

Yes, it only has 2 patches and no, I don't always use heat before and after. Should I?

Thanks, MIP
  7. joyfully

joyfully New Member

When i go to the physical therapist, they always start me off with 20 minutes of a heating pad. THEN I do the muscle stimulator machine. Then I do my exercises. Then I do another 20 minutes of the muscle stimulator. Then all of this is followed by ice packs on my back where the heating pad had been!

I use an interferential muscle stimulator instead of the TENS. It is stronger than the TENS machine. The TENS doesn't penetrate as deeply as the interferential muscle stimulator machine. However, I see the people using the TENS doing the same sequence of heating pad, etc. as I do using the interferential machine. They tried using the TENS with me, but quickly realized that I needed something stronger.

Both machines send the electrical zappys into your body. I think the two machines use different frequencies, and the interferential machine has stronger penetration into the body.

Just make sure that you never place the 2 patches so the space inbetween is close to your heart.

GR! I know that you asked something else, but I can't read your new message when I hit the respond button.

Oh, I use the machine for pain and spasms. Sometimes just placing one of the patches directly on top of the spot that really hurts really helps. Other times, I place the patches so that the spot that is really hurting is exactly in between the 2 patches. Don't be afraid to experiment.

Don't keep an ice pack more than 20 minutes on your back; I think they told me that you can actually have nerve damage if you leave it there too long.

[This Message was Edited on 11/03/2006]