Question about the Suzanne Somers diet

Discussion in 'Fibromyalgia Main Forum' started by AnnetClo, Feb 12, 2003.

1. AnnetClo

AnnetClo New Member

I bought one of the Suzanne Somers books and like the way it sounds, so I think I'm going to start it on Monday. Someone in another post mentioned that it was expensive to buy everything, can someone tell me more about that? The book I have doesn't have a shopping list for the things you need, but it sure would help if there is a list out there somewhere. Is it in one of her books? What about online? Sure hope someone can help because one of the reasons I've failed on a few other diets is being unorganized. So if I had a list, I could buy everything in advance and not use that as an excuse this time.

Thanks
    Annette
  2. Dara

Dara New Member

I haven't been on the Somers diet but I wanted to let you know that my sister and a friend of mine are on it. My friend has lost over 70 pounds in less than a year and my sister has lost 35 pounds in four months. They look and feel great. I know she has a website with all her products that you can buy but they are rather spendy. When my sister & friend were telling me about her diet it sounded to me like you really don't have to buy anything special unless you want. I hear that her recipe books are really good too. I also think that on her website there is a "recipe for the day". I've been thinking of going on the diet and was going to check out amazon for any used books on it. Good luck.

Dara
  3. AnnetClo

AnnetClo New Member

You're right the book makes the plan sound pretty simple but if there is a list of the "staples" for the plan (not a diet lol)would be great.
    Glad to hear that your family has been sucessful, cross your fingers that I will be too. I need to drop about 50 pounds for health reasons but for vanity's sake too.

Annette
  4. AnnetteP

AnnetteP New Member

There should be a list of acceptable foods in the book. I'm looking at the first book, and see it in chapter 5. Not sure which book you have, so if its not this one, keep looking, its there.

The diet is only as expensive as you want it to be. If you purchase her products then it will probably be more expensive, but that's the price you pay for convenience, right? She gives recipes for a lot of her products, many of which can be found in her latest cookbook. Its generally more expensive when you begin any diet, since you often have to start from "scratch." Most of us have the wrong ingredients in our pantries so we have to purchase all new ones. Over time, though, you accumulate the basics and its really not so costly. Plus, when you eat less (which you'll do when you eliminate simple carbs and sugars) you spend less on food.

Good luck to you,
    Annette

P.S. There is a message board on her website. Lots of recipes and encouragement can be found there.
  5. Mikie

Mikie Moderator

I think whoever posted that was mistaking the Suzanne Somers diet with Jenny Craig or some other diet plan which makes one purchase meals.

There is no need to purchase anything for the Somersize diet. I did go to her website and order an 8-can case of her Somersweet. Neutrasweet is dangerous, Stevia does not taste like sugar although it is good for us, and Splenda contains chlorine. I'm anxious to try it.

BTW, Dr. Atkins now has his own brand of low-carb bread. I found low-carb bread and bagles at my local health food store. Of course, this stuff isn't cheap, but it allows me to have a few carbs from time to time. Somers herself said that she plateaued by eliminating too many carbs from her diet. I am plateaued right now and want to start losing again.

Love, Mikie
  6. AnnetClo

AnnetClo New Member

I think the title of the book I bought is something about "Eat Great ".....maybe. I can't even remember right now. I know the cover is a bluish green. Does that tell you anything? lol. The book I have does list the "funky foods" to avoid but when I read the post before I got the impression that there may be a list of the essential staples to stock up on that are used routinely when you're cooking. The plan looks pretty easy except for the part about giving up potatoes and corn. That's definitely gonna be a tuffie! Cookies and ice cream I can do without, but potatoes are another thing altogether. I tried the Atkins diet once before and lost some weight but I was so drained all of the time, probably from low blood sugar. But I have to lose this weight cause the fatigue from the FM is bad but when you combine that with the fatigue of being overweight it's a double whammy!

Thanks a bunch for your help.
    Annette
  7. Mikie

Mikie Moderator

Her latest book, "Fast & Easy," is much better written than her older books. Much easier to understand the food combining. I have three of her books. All have delicious recipes, so it's worth it. I bought her new book for both my daughters who try to follow her diet.

Love, Mikie
  8. Dara

Dara New Member

I ordered three of her books off amazon.com I ordered the first one "Eat Cheat & melt the fat away" and also the new one that just came out "Fast and Easy,Quick, Delicious Meals for the Entire Family and "Eat Great, Lose Weight". I'm anxious to get started on it, none of my jeans fit anymore!! Amazon had some type of special where if you bought over $25.00 they are giving free shipping. Good Luck.

Dara
  9. Mikie

Mikie Moderator

Offers 30 percent off best sellers. Her latest book is on the best-selling list, so it's just $18.00 and change instead of $25.95.

Love, Mikie
  10. TerriM

TerriM New Member

The friend I'm staying with has her most recent book and it looks really good. Seems to offer good sound nutritional advice & it does mention food combinations, but I didn't see anything in it that looked expensive at all. I've gained about 15 lbs. after getting sick & also being diagnosed with insulin resistance . . . makes it a little more difficult to lose weight (plus the fact that I walk a little but that is my only exercise I can do right now). I would definitely say this book looks like it is worth it & thanks for the tip on her website! Terri