Question about these "attacks"

Discussion in 'Fibromyalgia Main Forum' started by Empower, Dec 9, 2005.

1. Empower

Empower New Member

Hi everyone

Over the last 6 weeks ago, I have been experiencing these "attacks"

What happens is I feel very weak and dizzy and and start breathing very heavily. It usually subsides after about 20 or 30 minutes.

My doc insists my heart is fine

Could this be a "hot flash" even though I really don't feel hot?

I thought it was hypoglycemia, but I had just eaten today when it happened

I am wondering, Panic attacks, but I have had these b4 and it doesn't feel the same

Anyone get these?
  2. minimonkey

minimonkey New Member

It certainly sounds like it could be a form of panic attack, though I'd want to rule out other causes, too. Panic can take a lot of forms, and isn't always the same from one attack to the next... does consciously slowing your breathing help at all? What about drinking water?
  3. darude

darude New Member

Doesn't sound good at all. Maybe diabetes if straight after you eat. Would get checked out at ER if was me.
  4. stinker56

stinker56 New Member

I'm certainly no doctor but it sounds like I do when I am about to have a panic attack. I have learned the onset and so I try to control my breathing. As it starts, I start feeling dizzy and a little distant to everything. I am usually not breathing very deeply at this time so I tell myself to breathe in through the nose deeply so that my stomach extends and let the breath out through my mouth. Usually a few of these breaths will take the dizziness away and I will feel better.
    I would however, see my doctor if this happens again. Better to be safe than sorry.
    Stinker56
  5. lenasvn

lenasvn New Member

Maybe it's not hypoglycemia, I get thacycardia, weakness to the point that I have to lay down and I feel drowsy and could go to sleep easily really drowsy. This happens 20-30 minutews after ameal, if so. I assume that's how long it takes before the food have started to go out to your blood, unless you drank alot of sweet stuff. Sorry I wasn't of much help. A panic attack makes you feel PANIC, like you're gonna die. I had it for many years in the past. It is scary, you feel scared.
  6. dunnlb

dunnlb New Member

Do you think it might be Gastric Dumping Syndrome?

"Gastric dumping syndrome, or rapid gastric emptying, happens when the lower end of the small intestine, the jejunum, fills too quickly with undigested food from the stomach. 'Early' dumping begins during or right after a meal. Symptoms of early dumping include nausea, vomiting, bloating, cramping, diarrhea, dizziness and fatigue. 'Late' dumping happens 1 to 3 hours after eating. Symptoms of late dumping include weakness, sweating, and dizziness. Many people have both types.

In addition, people with this syndrome often suffer from low blood sugar, or hypoglycemia, because the rapid 'dumping' of food triggers the pancreas to release excessive amounts of insulin into the bloodstream."
  7. Empower

Empower New Member

Thanks oh wise ones!

There is alot to consider here - I never heard of Gastric Dumping and Mitral Valve does run in my family

I am going to my internist on Wednesday and discuss some of these possibilities

Thank You
  8. kylesmom

kylesmom New Member

Usually, when I experience what you're describing, it's because my blood pressure has dropped really low. You might look into "neurally mediated hypotension" as well, when you're doing your research.