question about Thyroid med

Discussion in 'Fibromyalgia Main Forum' started by kat0465, Mar 28, 2009.

1. kat0465

kat0465 New Member

Several years ago, a doc diagnosed me with hashimotos, said he felt a slightly enlarged thyroid, but dont remember what or if he did a Blood was so long ago.

doc Now has tested me at least a couple times a year for thyroid & it always comes back ok.
    BUT i have a lot of symptoms of thyroid disease, weight gain, cold extremeties,thinning hair.Dry skin,and a few others

What im wondering is there anybody that has been put on med for thyroid with only symptoms? and if so have you gotten better? i know if i ask my doc will probably let me try.

But would like to know if anyone has been put on meds even tho thier tests are basically Normal.
    Thanks, Kat
  2. Janalynn

Janalynn New Member

I've recently been put on thyroid meds even though my labs come out normal - even on the good end. My T4 was slightly off, but not much. I don't feel better pain wise, but my hair has stopped falling out in clumps and my skin isn't nearly as dry. I haven't lost any weight though. I've always been thin - but worked at it, and now I can't lose a lb. no matter what. Very frustrating.

I'm on a fairly high dose as well. This doc believes thyroid helps mood etc. - has written many published articles etc. My legs actually hurt like h*ll and he did say that could be a side effect. Oh great, just what I need - so I feel I'm making a trade off.

3. hugs4evry1

hugs4evry1 New Member

Kat, it would be interesting to see what your numbers are and which numbers your doc is using to dx a problem thyroid.

My number was 3.7 which according to the new guidelines is hypothyroid, I was then dx with auto immune thyroid disease. But two other docs that I've seen since said they would NOT have put me on medication.

The new guidelines that very few follow are 0.3 to 3.3 for a normal thyroid range. Above that is Hypothyroid...

I really needed this medication and fought my old doc to get it, but it helped my symptoms so he went along with it.

You might ask for a 3 month trial to see if medication helps you.