Question about Thyroid Tests

Discussion in 'Fibromyalgia Main Forum' started by Yucca13, Apr 19, 2011.

1. Yucca13

Yucca13 Member

Just wondering if anyone has had a test result of around 0.49 on their TSH result
    and the other test - the T4 result was 6.1?

On one website I read that if the TSH was low and the other normal, you could have mild hyperthyroidism. I'm not sure if that would cause many symptoms?

Am I just being a hyperchondriac, trying to find a more 'valid' reason why I'm feeling so awful?

Have many people here been examined by an endocrinologist and, if so, was it helpful?

I have the same problems as many - deteriorated back (back problems since 18 with surgery), severe osteo arthritis, fibro, etc.

I think right now the biggest problem is that the allergens are making everything so much worse with burning eyes, constant headache, total lack of energy. This year we are "paying" for the rain which brought forth many weeds in the high desert (known as wildflowers to some!) :)

Most days would just like to crawl into a hole and don't wake me until it's over. I agree with Rosemarie that there is only so much someone should be required to endure.
  2. Yucca13

Yucca13 Member

I will definitely check out the thyroid board. I kind of inherently feel that there is something else going on with my energy levels, constant headaches, pain, etc. that might be helped.

I read your posts all the time and know that you have been helped by taking supplements I think when I take the Emergen-C even that helps a bit with allergies. The unending back pain is a bit much to contend with, especially on days it is hard to even walk across the room. I don't know what is going on with my hips nowadays as they can be a real problem at times. i guess it is part of getting older, but my mother is 90 and is in so much better shape than me!! She didn't lead an angelic life when younger either. I think that if you have spine problems, have had mono, have had a lot of stress in your life and a few other factors, you have much more of a predisposition to having more pain/physical problems than the average person.

I love that my blood tests show how healthy I am (other than high cholesterol which I refuse to take statins for). I don't mean to sound smug (my sister died of non-Hodgkins Lymphoma a few years ago at 58 and she would have given a lot for a good liver reading.) It is just that for some of us, we look healthy on tests but that doesn't seem to mean much in relation to the amount of pain we put up with.

I'll have to try and figure out if there is anyone in this area that might help with thyroid medication that isn't an endo. I don't have a lot of extra money for a doctor that doesn't take my insurance so hopefully that won't be an issue.

I'll get a copy of 'Stop the Thyroid Maddness' and educate myself about how it affects the body.

Has the thyroid made a big difference in how you feel - especially with energy? I would love to find some energy. The mind is willing, but the body is not.