question about tramadol

Discussion in 'General Health & Wellness' started by grannyof6, Aug 12, 2009.

1. grannyof6

grannyof6 New Member

Can anyone tell me how much tramadol it is safe to take at once. I take 100 mg one time a day because I only take it while I am working. Its starting not to work on my pain as well and I was wondering if it would be safe to up the dosage alittle to maybe 125. I know you aren't supposed to take over 300 mg per day but can that be all in one dose or spread out over the day. I used to post as grannyof4 but its been so long since I've been on here my e-mail address or password weren't recognized, so since I now have six grandkids I thought it would be a good time to change it. In December, just three days before Christmas my husband of 34 years informed me that he didn't love me anymore, that he was in love with a younger woman. A 41 yr old with the body of a seventeen yr old, mind you. And I have been reminded of this constantly. I am 51 he's 56. Well anyway, I've been to hell and (I was going to say back but I'm still there so I'll just leave it like that until I do come back.) Maybe it won't be too much longer. I'm just getting to the point that I can talk about it and I probably said more than anyone wants to hear. Thanks for the ear anyway. Granny
  2. TwoCatDoctors

TwoCatDoctors New Member

Tramadol (Ultram) is a prescribed pain medication and you should be working directly with your doctor on the dosage of this medication, and whether to increase the dosage. Your doctor should be the person you go to about dosage. With what you have written above, and what sounds like depression, you could end up abusing this by taking too many at once or reach a point of trying to commit suicide by taking too many. Take care and prayers.

Here is a paragraph to read:

"DRUG CLASS AND MECHANISM: Tramadol is a man-made (synthetic) analgesic (pain reliever). Its exact mechanism of action is unknown but similar morphine. Like morphine, tramadol binds to receptors in the brain (opioid receptors) that are important for transmitting the sensation of pain from throughout the body to. Tramadol, like other narcotics used for the treatment of pain, may be abused. Tramadol is not a nonsteroidal antiinflammatory drug (NSAID) and does not have the increased risk of stomach ulceration and internal bleeding that can occur with NSAIDs." http://www.medicinenet.com/tramadol/article.htm

[This Message was Edited on 08/13/2009]
  3. jmq

jmq New Member

Hi....first I want to say I am not a doctor or in the medical profession. I am just telling you how I use my tramadol. If I am in alot of pain, I take two 50mg at a time every four to six hours. I keep taking it until I reach the 300mg. If doing this does not help, I switch to my vicodin. But this does not happen often since I started on Lyrica. Now I need much less pain medication.

When I have the fibro pain and a headache, I take one 50mg tramadol and one excederin and it usually works.

Good luck